• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

If House of Leaves is not a horror story,

#69: Aug. - Sept. 2009 (Fiction)
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

If House of Leaves is not a horror story,

Unread post

then, what do you think it is? How would you classify it? Can it be classified?
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
poettess
All Star Member

Unread post

Its hard to classify this book for me. I was not particularly disturbed in a horrific way, simply because the storyline was too disjointed and I could not place myself in the situations of any of the characters. I think the term "cult classic" as has been mentioned before, fits well with this story. Science Fiction would also fit because of the modern day technical arena that the story sits in sometimes.
Odd Greg
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

This is a good question, Krysondra.

It is certainly psychological and perhaps in the vein of experimental science fiction, and yet I cannot so far characterize it as science fiction. Perhaps psychological fantasy. There is an undertone that reminds me of Stanislaw Lem’s writing. “Solaris” comes to mind, but not directly, having to do with the nature of the mind and alien sentience. Perhaps paranormal intelligence, in this case. (I haven’t read far enough to decide if this fits at all.)

Another of Lem’s books contains a short story concerning two spies, wandering around in a labyrinth of stairs, that combines mystery, fantasy and suspense with darkly humorous psychological thriller - the author playing mind games with the reader. At moments, I can’t help being reminded of “The Shining” and the ballroom.

I’ll stick with those impressions for the moment until I have read further into the book.
kal
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Well......... To be absolutely honest.......... I don't know! :hmm:

I suppose you could call it fantasy, but probably this is just the easy solution. It clearly is a fantastic story, but that doesn't say much for the book, does it?

As I said in another thread, it didn't work as a horror story for me. I then googled it and found that someone has even described it as a love story! Or as a satire of academic criticism (I actually loved that and I really admired the effort required to construct all these titles of articles in the footnotes).

But my favourite description was definitely that one:

genre-bending :idea:

Return to “House of Leaves - by Mark Z. Danielewski”