• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What is the theme in Hemingway's 'The Short Happy Life'

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
eagles_dare13
Official Newbie!

What is the theme in Hemingway's 'The Short Happy Life'

Unread post

I recently read Hemingway's short story 'The short Happy Life'. As an aspiring writer, I try to be mindful of the theme, the message the narration style of what I read while I am enjoying the story.

With this story, what are the themes? The story is about a hunting expedition that ends in an accident, but the theme...what is it? I spotted themes of American midlife crisis,cuckold husband, marriage problems,the inherent cruelty in hunting.

Am I completely off the charts? Are these themes well developed in the story?

My other question is how to interpret the accident in the end of the story. I am asking these questions to write a better review of the book and also I am trying to udnerstand what constitutes a good short story.
SkywardGnost
Finally Comfortable

Re: What is the theme in Hemingway's 'The Short Happy Life'

Unread post

I made a thread that tackles these kind of questions

http://www.booktalk.org/for-an-aspiring ... 14766.html

I think you'll find it quite stimulating
Rita McBride
Master Debater

Re: What is the theme in Hemingway's 'The Short Happy Life'

Unread post

The narrative implies that it was no accident: she deliberately killed her husband, because she knew that with his newly found confidence, he would leave her. This story, I believe, is about the delicate balance between confidence and the fabrics of society (like marriage) that are often kept alive because of a lack of confidence (e.g., reluctance to move on). Which one is more important? Which is more beneficial for humankind? I don't think he answers it; more like presenting us with the question.

Return to “Short Story Discussions”