Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:37 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Favorite Short Horror Story 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Post Favorite Short Horror Story
"Pigeons from Hell" by Robert E. Howard. I actually had to put the book down in the middle of reading this story because I was scared.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:36 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

Post Re: Favorite Short Horror Story
"The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James.

And that's it.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:59 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

Actually, I have two:
"The Thing at the Top of the Stairs" by Ray Bradbury.
"A Walk in the Dark" by Arthur C. Clarke.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

The following user would like to thank Cattleman for this post:
princesscookie19
Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:41 am
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

I like "The Turn of the Screw." I read it years ago and it was amazing. It's a quiet kind of horror.

Fri May 03, 2013 9:55 am
Profile Email
Pop up Book Fanatic

I've never read any Bradbury. I'll have to check out something by him, especially this story called "The Thing at the Top of the Stairs." The title sounds a little Lovecraftian.

Fri May 03, 2013 9:59 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

It might well be Marie. I have read some of Lovecraft's work, but can't make a ready connection. And Bradbury was shameless about borrowing ideas, phrases, titles, etc. from other authors.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I have just read "Beneath My Dorm" I bought the book on LuLu and the book consists of 3 short horror stories. They are pretty twisted stories and the book is only 11 pages. It's defenitely not for the novel reader but the tales in the book are quite brilliant. My favorite story in this book is "The child beneath my dorm" it's poetry written and gives an Edgar Allan Poe style to it. I highly recommend this book to short horror story fans.

Sun May 12, 2013 8:22 am
Profile Email
Atop the Piled Books

I've unfortunately never read anything by Ray Bradbury. Anything by H.P. Lovecraft is solid. And as a smoker, I've always been partial to "Quitters Inc." by Stephen King. Even though it's a novella and not a regular short, Clive Barker's novella The Hellbound Heart (the book that inspired the Hellraiser movies) is another personal favorite. It's so short you can read it in less than a day.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:37 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Asleep in Reading Chair

"The Derelict" by William Hope Hodgson.

The following user would like to thank Murmur for this post:
youkrst
Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:32 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

I warped by daughters by reading them horror stories for bedtime when they were young. The middle one hated them but the youngest loved them. Well, the middle one claimed to hate them but when I went to the youngest girl's room to read her a new one, the middle one would always wander in and then complain afterwards that she wouldn't get any sleep now, thanks to me. Of course, I'm a huge fan of the old radio programs and so when I read the stories, I always put on the proper voices with the proper emotions and the proper lighting.

Their favorites include:

The Cocoon by J.B.L. Goodwin, definitely the overall favorite
The Whole Town's Sleeping by Ray Bradbury (this one about scared my middle girl half to death)
The Colour Out of Space by H.P. Lovecraft
The Willows by Algernon Blackwood
The Spider Hans Heinz Ewers, my eldest one LOVES this one
The Yellow Sign by Robert W. Chambers, this one even terrified the youngest one and she's the bravest of the three
Voice in the Night by William Hope Hodgson
The Dunwich Horror by Lovecraft
Oil of Dog by Ambrose Bierce, darkly humorous eliciting many guilty laughs
In the Court of the Dragon by Robert W. Chambers

I just ask my youngest, whose 15 now, what other stories did she like and she said
Man From the South by Roald Dahl, claiming she was never quite the same after that one. Goddess, how I've warped them!

The following user would like to thank DB Roy for this post:
geo, youkrst
Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:32 pm
Profile Email
Asleep in Reading Chair

DB Roy wrote:
I warped by daughters by reading them horror stories for bedtime when they were young. The middle one hated them but the youngest loved them. Well, the middle one claimed to hate them but when I went to the youngest girl's room to read her a new one, the middle one would always wander in and then complain afterwards that she wouldn't get any sleep now, thanks to me. Of course, I'm a huge fan of the old radio programs and so when I read the stories, I always put on the proper voices with the proper emotions and the proper lighting.

Their favorites include:

The Cocoon by J.B.L. Goodwin, definitely the overall favorite
The Whole Town's Sleeping by Ray Bradbury (this one about scared my middle girl half to death)
The Colour Out of Space by H.P. Lovecraft
The Willows by Algernon Blackwood
The Spider Hans Heinz Ewers, my eldest one LOVES this one
The Yellow Sign by Robert W. Chambers, this one even terrified the youngest one and she's the bravest of the three
Voice in the Night by William Hope Hodgson
The Dunwich Horror by Lovecraft
Oil of Dog by Ambrose Bierce, darkly humorous eliciting many guilty laughs
In the Court of the Dragon by Robert W. Chambers

I just ask my youngest, whose 15 now, what other stories did she like and she said
Man From the South by Roald Dahl, claiming she was never quite the same after that one. Goddess, how I've warped them!

I'll try to find those stories that I haven't read yet.

The following user would like to thank Murmur for this post:
froglipz
Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:37 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

I would agree with many of the selections mentioned here. The horror genre usually encompasses some kind of supernatural element and frequently a twist that shocks the reader. The following stories do not have a supernatural element, but otherwise fall perilously close to horror.

Technically southern gothic fiction, the short story, A Rose For Emily by William Faulkner, is a stupendously, amazing work. It is structured ingeniously to gradually reveal to the reader the central horror at the heart of the story.

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson is also not usually considered classic horror fare, but it is breathtakingly shocking at the end.

Edith Wharton wrote some top notch ghost stories. One of her short novels, Ethan Frome, also resembles a horror story (again no supernatural). It gradually builds to its horrific conclusion.

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
youkrst
Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

Another story my girls liked that had no supernatural element was written by none other than Jack Webb called "The Incomplete Corpse." That was pretty good. There are a few novella that I really like. My two favorites are "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket" by Poe and Lovecraft's "Shadow Over Innsmouth." Another great horror short story author is Guy de Maupassant. Man, who could ever forget "The Horla"? My girls never will, that's for sure.

Here's a few online texts of stories I mentioned:

http://pdfs.mhpbooks.com/Guy.pdf
The Horla

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stori ... Sign.shtml
The Yellow Sign
http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/kiy_dr.htm
In the Court of the Dragon
These two stories by Robert W. Chambers are from his series called "The King in Yellow." Most of the stories center around a fictional French play called "The King in Yellow" that causes anyone who reads it to go mad even in translation. Tales as these two that I have posted here are the accounts of two such unfortunates.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0605651.txt
The Spider. Outstanding story.

I emailed my middle daughter for what stories she liked most (she's in college). She mentioned this one:

http://www.unz.org/Pub/Unknown-1943aug-00127
They Bite by Anthony Boucher. It was first published in 1943, I think, and I found this original publication complete with strange WW2 anti-axis ad.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:34 pm
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

I have two as well:

"The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson - the first time I read that, I remember my jaw dropped. The story has been retold in so many different ways now...

And

"The Brass Teapot" by Tim Macy. I loved the short story. There was a film adaptation a while back that deviated from the book but was still really good.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:12 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Gold Contributor

"The Yellow Wallpaper" By Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Truly horrific. Of course Stephen King wrote many that were grand, one of my faves was this one about a finger coming up through the drain, can't remember the name of it though. Besides the ones you all know through pop culture, like Trucks, and Hearts in Atlantis, and the Langoliers.

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:45 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next