• In total there are 44 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Hills Like White Elephants

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Hills Like White Elephants

Unread post

Anyone interested in a little Hemingway?

http://www.moonstar.com/~acpjr/Blackboa ... hants.html
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Hills Like White Elephants

Unread post

I read this short abot 10 years ago...what a engaging story. I still think of it til this day, specifically the line "its just to let the air in". Powerful statement with simple phrasing.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

What is the operation for? This seems like a very simple puzzle with an answer that's evading me.
xkimberleyx
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Interbane wrote:What is the operation for? This seems like a very simple puzzle with an answer that's evading me.

The girl in the story is pregnant and the operation is an abortion.
"It's really not anything. It's just to let the air in."
hmrush
Gaining experience

Unread post

This short story really changed the way I looked at dialogue. I am a huge Hemingway fan, and I loved his use of dialogue in A Farewell to Arms but Hills Like White Elephants completely amazed me. There are very few lines in the story that are not dialogue and yet it reads so well and so much is understood without the need to say very much about the surrounding situation.
H.M. Rush
"A mans errors are his portals of discovery" - James Joyce
blankspace101
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I've never read anything from Hemingway before. I can't understand why I would deprive myself of such amazingly speechless examples of literature! Ok, I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but I am certain I will be researching some Hemingway literature in my very near future! lol Thanks! :D
-why can't we all just have a little fun as we ponder our way through this crazy school of life?
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I read this story for an English Lit class, one of the questions that was brought up was about the ages of the male and the female. Who do you think is older?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:I read this story for an English Lit class, one of the questions that was brought up was about the ages of the male and the female. Who do you think is older?

The male is obviously he elder. He is more manipulative and unimpressed by the girls assertion that they can 'have the whole world' (a very naieve assertion) and he is obviously using a mature manipulation throughout the story: "I dont want you to if you dont want to", "you know I love you", etc.

He is also knowledgeable about the drinks whereas she is ignorant. The girl is obviously bored with the stagnation of their relationship: "thats all we do...look at things and try new drinks" and she wants more. This to me implies youth and a yearning for excitment. She is very impressed with the surroundings whereas he seems indifferent.

Just my thoughts.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
blankspace101
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Mr. Pessimistic wrote:
Suzanne wrote:I read this story for an English Lit class, one of the questions that was brought up was about the ages of the male and the female. Who do you think is older?

The male is obviously he elder. He is more manipulative and unimpressed by the girls assertion that they can 'have the whole world' (a very naieve assertion) and he is obviously using a mature manipulation throughout the story: "I dont want you to if you dont want to", "you know I love you", etc.

He is also knowledgeable about the drinks whereas she is ignorant. The girl is obviously bored with the stagnation of their relationship: "thats all we do...look at things and try new drinks" and she wants more. This to me implies youth and a yearning for excitment. She is very impressed with the surroundings whereas he seems indifferent.

Just my thoughts.
I had the sense throughout reading this that the male was in fact older but couldn't figure out why I had thought that. This makes complete sense to me.
-why can't we all just have a little fun as we ponder our way through this crazy school of life?
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I really enjoyed this short story. It was written so clearly and precisely I'm in awe. It is rare to read something so cleanly written and yet with subtlety. It reminds me of The Great Gatsby in the layered approach. On the surface it seems like a really simple little story, but as one examines the levels of imagery it starts to have a much deeper meaning.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski

Return to “Short Story Discussions”