• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Step It Up 07

#36: April - June 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Step It Up 07

Unread post

A Letter From Bill McKibben Dear Friends
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Re: Step It Up 07

Unread post

Democracy Now!Friday, April 13th, 2007Step It Up: Thousands Gather this Weekend for Largest Ever-Rally Against Global WarmingJUAN GONZALEZ: This weekend tens of thousands of Americans are gathering across the country in the largest ever demonstration against global warming. Over 1,300 rallies, demonstrations and actions are being held in all 50 states to call on Congress to cut carbon emissions by 80% by the year by 2050. The actions range from a rally of thousands in New York City, to a handful of scuba divers of the coast of Key West, to several hundred pounds of ice being left melting on the sidewalks in Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles. April 14th is being billed as a National Day of Climate Action. It is being spearheaded by a group called Step It Up. AMY GOODMAN: Bill McKibben is one of the organizers of Step it up. In 1989 he wrote the book, The End of Nature one of the first books to describe global warming as an emerging environmental crisis. He writes frequently about global warming and alternative energy. He is author of eight book books, his latest is Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future. Bill McKibben joins us in the firehouse studio, welcome to Democracy Now!. Tell us about the span of actions that's taking place tomorrow and what sparked April 14th? BILL MCKIBBEN: What sparked it was after sort of 20 years of writing about this, my sense of growing despair that we were doing nothing. I mean Hurricane Katrina and Al Gore had educated us about the problem, the polling showed that most Americans understood it and still the 20-year bipartisan effort to accomplish nothing in Washington was succeeding all too well. In January, we

Return to “Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future - by Bill McKibben”