• In total there are 22 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Winston Churchill Quotes

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
nickhobson19
Official Newbie!

Winston Churchill Quotes

Unread post

What is your favorite Winston Churchill quote?
wallicolls
Getting Comfortable

Re: Winston Churchill Quotes

Unread post

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." This quote from Winston Churchill is my favorite because it encapsulates the determination and courage that he exhibited during WWII. When faced with daunting odds, Churchill refused to give up or back down, and his resolve helped to inspire the British people to keep fighting. This quote is a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is always hope as long as we are willing to stand up and fight for what is right.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies.

I just ran across this quote by Churchill. It is so true. In the book Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers Daniel Ellsberg describes the massive disconnect between propaganda stating the US was winning the Vietnam war and the truth, that we were losing. He goes through various levels of classified documents all filled with lies about how the war was progressing. It wasn't until he got a look at some "above Top Secret" files (which he was not authorized to see) that the truth was documented.

So remember, most of the information prior to and at the beginning of any war is inaccurate if not outright lies. Consider the hysteria of lies leading up the the Iraq war. Consider Churchill's quote again while understanding leaked classified documents may also deliberately include lies.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

The price of greatness is responsibility.

That's another great quote. Check the following clip of weasel words to understand Trump as anti-Churchill.

PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Unread post

Here's a humorous one:
One evening, Churchill is supposed to have encountered the politician, Bessie Braddock.
She is supposed to have said: "Sir, you are drunk!"
To which Churchill is supposed to have replied:
"Yes, Madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning, I will be sober!"
Apocryphal or not, cruel or not, it is still funny.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

Lady Astor to Churchill: “If you were my husband, I’d poison your tea!”
Churchill: “Madam, if you were my wife, I’d drink it!”

Return to “Everything Else”