• In total there are 27 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Recommendations on book storage containers?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
CitanUzuki
Official Newbie!

Recommendations on book storage containers?

Unread post

Hello everyone.

Presently, I am working on building a new set of bookshelves, but this process will take time. In the meantime, I'd like to keep my rarer books safely stored until the long-term solution is within my grasp. What I'd like is a recommendation on a box/case that will satisfy the following requirements ->

* Keeps the books stored normally (vertically, of course).
* Maintains a watertight/airtight seal when closed.
* Can be neatly stacked at least two units high.
* Doesn't weigh a metric ton.
* Doesn't feature a strong odor (i.e., cheap plastic).

In the past, I've used conventional bulk containers, but they are space inefficient when it comes to books and not every specimen is suitable for holding books thanks to manufacturing quirks that could cause damage.

Anyhow, I am happy to hear suggestions on how to address this need!
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Re: Recommendations on book storage containers?

Unread post

You might want to talk to a librarian. While in college, I worked at a university library and remember them talking about how to store books in a humid environment.

I like to use store bought plastic milk crates to store stuff. They stack nicely and are easy to carry. It sounds funny, but you might be able to store some books in one and wrap it in a plastic bag as they're not too large.

Return to “Everything Else”