• In total there are 14 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

I'm afraid if I would focus on my mother tongue then my English will become weak.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Knight
Master Debater

I'm afraid if I would focus on my mother tongue then my English will become weak.

Unread post

My mother tongue is not English, it's not even those Germanic languages which are closer to English. Although, the school in which I studied the medium of instruction was English but the interaction (like group projects, notebook checking time, sports period) was generally in mother tongue, the science and social science books were in English but then also our English was not very good until 8th Grade. So, I decided strengthening my English on my own and from past 6 years I focused much on English and almost didn't read any book in my mother tongue, consequently my English improved but I lost a grip over my mother tongue; well I mean that I can speak (no one can forget that) and I can write in my mother tongue quite well but the real issue is that my English has become better than my mother tongue.

I have contrived to work a little in my mother tongue, but I get this doubt that if I will focus on it I would lose my thinking in English, what I mean can be explained by this example: when I get surprised these days I generally say "Oh My Goodness", but I fear if I would let my mind to go for the language it learned first it will start speaking it and slowly and slowly I would lose the command over English. I fear losing the command because you see the works of James Joyce, Ezra Pound, T.S. Eliot, Joseph Conrad, Ford Madox Ford and many other alike don't involve just the English language rather it is there structuring that makes their work quintessential, it took me so hard to get through their writing style and to understand them we have to think like them. I fear losing thinking like them when I shall go back to my mother tongue.

Any suggestion will be welcomed.

Thanks.

Return to “Everything Else”