Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Should Marijuana be legalized in the USA? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Should Marijuana be legalized in the USA?
Should Marijuana be legalized in the USA?

Results (total votes = 9):
Definitely so 5 / 55.6%  
Maybe 4 / 44.4%  
Undecided 0 / 0.0% 
Probably not 0 / 0.0% 
Definitely not 0 / 0.0% 

Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:14 am
Profile Email WWW

Post Re: Should Marijuana be legalized in the USA?
I'm a health nut, so I don't touch it, but honestly ... if alcohol is legal why not? FDA regulations. Production and distribution guidelines. Distributor's subjected to income taxes. As it is medical insurances are footing the bill for illegal use side-effects. Why not ante up?

DUI's apply. Restore individual liability. Always prefer freedom of choice versuses "big brother" regulation.

Edited by: Sara Michael at: 9/26/06 5:28 am

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:29 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Sara, I agree with everything you said.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:34 am
Profile Email WWW

Being from the sunshine state I used to say "Let's plant marijuana down the median strip of the highways and we can fund all schools and hospitals no problem."

I think making marijuana legal would actually cut down on crime (and not just drug crimes). Hmm, maybe I should go to Amsterdam this weekend. ::100

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, prehaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

-Henry David Thoreau

Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:28 pm

I got so excited when I saw this thred that I dropped my bong.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:15 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

::18

It just makes no sense having pot illegal and alcohol legal.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:50 pm
Profile Email WWW

Agreed, agreed, agreed... I agree. Why alcohol if not marijuana?

Did Canada ever change their law about marijuana? I think they did, and isn't Mexico in the process of passing a law about it. Maybe someone else knows better than I. I don't keep tabs on these kinds of things.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:48 pm

I don't like it personally and never got what the big deal was all about; it just made me tired, quiet, and wishing I didn't try it in the first place. I'd rather have a couple drinks if I'm going to indulge!
But, yes, I think it should be legal.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:33 am

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

When I was around 17 or 18 I tried pot for the first time. Over the next ohh 8 years or so I did it about 20 times. Since then I have gotten stoned twice.

I laugh so hard when I'm stoned that I almost hurt myself so I try to avoid pot. And it makes me paranoid sometimes. When I have some time I'll tell you a story about one time I smoked some pot that MUST have been laced with LSD.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:15 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

That's right. I'm bringing this thread back into the mix! This topic deserves more consideration as well as action. :smile:

Besides, I think everyone wants to hear about the LSD Weed story.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:35 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Atop the Piled Books

Post Megalize Larajuana?
My hippie parents used to do it. I grew up refusing to do it because smoking grosses me out. They stopped doing it too. I feel really sorry for the old hippies who get busted for growing it. It seems so harmless. People always say that if it was legal, drug dealers with guns would not be able to make any money, so yeah, I guess they should legalize it and fire works too. In Il we're not supposed to have fire crackers. So, on the fourth of July, you never see anybody light off any firecrackers, but you hear them all around and a cloud of smoke covers our town. But nobody admits a thing. I think that's exactly what the law on gonja is like. But, then what gets legalized next? Would people drive stoned? Don't they anyway? How could the police tell? Do they have a breathalyzer for that? Would there have to be new driving laws? Would the Doritos company be able to keep up with the demand? It's a debate that drives me crazy and also doesn't concern me because I don't do it. But I also don't want to run out of Doritos! Maybe if they all promised to eat Twinkies instead.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:08 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

Gold Contributor

Steingard, look at my age before you look at my reply post.

I grew up in Northern England....never encountered any drugs at all.

The first time I encountered weed, I was in my late 50's and was rather honoured to be offered it by the younger members of the party!!

But, it has affected my son....not the actual drug, but the morons who supply it. Over the last ten years...three or four young men (boys) have committed suicide because of 'drugs debt'...feeling so scared.

If they supplied Cannabis at a the Chemists, (drug store) these tragedies would not have happened.

I have actually, stood up in our Parish Church and said this, which is why I don't go there any more. It was worth it!!!

The Cannabis, Marajuanna is not the problem...it is the low-lives who supply it...and terrify our kids...whist we parents look away and pretend it isn't happening....I am sorry..I feel very strongly about this issue......

I, and my lovely son, came through it OK....but there were those who did not!!! It makes me angry. And I thank you for raising this subject!!

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:22 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Atop the Piled Books

Post You know what
I would never chew you out over anything you said on this subject because i don't specifically have an opinion one way or the other. I wish they would stop aggressively busting people on it and just try to avert tragedies instead. I also wish they would just let hippies grow their own. That would solve a lot of problems right there. Those kids who killed themselves would just be able to grow their own instead. I'm in the USA so we have really gung ho anti drug laws on one side and really gung ho dealers supplied by South America on the other side. The anti drug laws make it profitable for the dealers. If it was legal they'd only get what fruit and veg growers get and they would have no use for guns.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:37 pm
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Silver Contributor

Way back in the 80's when I owned two businesses, I advocated for the legalization of recreational drugs and decided I would buy scads of them and give them freely to my competitors.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:32 pm
Profile Email
Atop the Piled Books

Post Megalize Larajuana
Dear Shaun,

Did you think that getting them hooked would make them useless, or what? What business were you in anyway? Are we talking Boogie Nights here?

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:16 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next