• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

EReaders or Tablets?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mitchie123
Official Newbie!

EReaders or Tablets?

Unread post

Hello,

Requesting for your feedback. I am a homeschool, single and work-from-home mom and my daughter is requesting for an E-Reader, since she loves reading. According to this link, https://thewiredshopper.com/e-readers-v ... iJ_pi5E9sk, you can also read ebooks through a tablet, which I wasn't aware, but according here it appears like it's a norm that people read through tablets.

I like the idea and I like to get her a tablet instead since she can use it to for her homeschooling. Currently she's using my laptop. I just work after she's finished with it. So it's like double whammy, she gets a laptop alternative and E-reader in one buy. What I like best is it's cheaper than a laptop too.

But my main concern is, wouldn't tablets strain my daughter's eyes? At the same time, I was thinking, she might also get distracted that instead of reading her usual adventure stories, she now goes to social media? I know you can limit or guard the websites your children are looking at? Does that work for tablets too?

I'm sorry for having too many questions, but your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Mitch
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: EReaders or Tablets?

Unread post

If the cost of an extra device isn't too much of an issue, then an e-reader is definitely better in terms of eyestrain. I wouldn't want to use a tablet for any significant reading, but I guess some people don't mind.
bob717
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I have both actually, but when I don't want to lose attention to messengers, etc, I like to read books using EBook. Talking of which, here is a great online library I've discovered few weeks ago ( source: https://fb2bookfree.com/ ), which can easily offer any ebook in any format you would prefer. Not every online platform can suggest such a huge collection of free ebooks.
princesscookie19
Experienced

Unread post

MAybe if you got a kindel you can get books for free and you can add apps to your kindel for education only I have a kindel and I dont read it on my kindel but I can get apps that "read for you" :) hope that helps you

Currently Reading - Daisy War Chain.
pop
Official Newbie!
Aruba

Unread post

You can select -
Tablet as you can read pdfs, epubs and use several formats (for any files that you do not get from an online store) and it will be multi-purpose. But if there is a lot of usage, effect of that on eyes is indeed a consideration.
E-reader when there is a lot of usage involved as it be better for eyes. Some E-readers have that feature where it feels like a paper/ reduced strain on eyes etc.

Return to “Everything Else”