• In total there are 35 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Why reading is a good habit

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lindagenerally
Official Newbie!

Why reading is a good habit

Unread post

Reading is one of the most important habits a parent can instill in their child. Reading opens young minds to the possibilities that are out there but are not present in their everyday realm of existence. Reading can ignite, develop and stretch young and older imaginations. It can open up whole new worlds as in Science Fiction or it can take you back in time, as in History. You can travel to far off places that actually do exist. Think about it, the first step to getting somewhere is to first know that that place does exist. Reading can pique your interest in something new that maybe you never would have considered before. Reading exercises the brain and keeps your mind from stagnating. For parents, the goal is to keep your child reading and if they like to read comic books, then their brain is still being stimulated.

Okay so just in case you haven’t guessed, I love to read. Through the years I’ve read a lot of different genres. I am especially fond of fiction, especially science fiction. I have a friend who likes biographies and autobiographies. I think the most important thing is to read what you like and to do it often. There’s never a line that’s too long or a flight that’s too boring as long as I have my Kindle or a book! And that makes my brain happy!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Why reading is a good habit

Unread post

Well said!
Think about it, the first step to getting somewhere is to first know that that place does exist.
I've always likened reading about far away places and adventures to traveling to those far away places and living those adventures. You can experience so much of life through books that you simply could never experience in real life ... without winning the lottery.
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

One more reason - it teaches children how to spell!
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

A couple of nights ago, I caught "The Great American Read" on my local PBS station. The topic was Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Historical Fiction (see lindagenerally's post above). At the end, they showed the 100 novels that were nominated to be the No. 1 read. I was surprised at how man of them I had read over the years. (You can view the list at pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/).
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:A couple of nights ago, I caught "The Great American Read" on my local PBS station. The topic was Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Historical Fiction (see lindagenerally's post above). At the end, they showed the 100 novels that were nominated to be the No. 1 read. I was surprised at how man of them I had read over the years. (You can view the list at pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/).
They just closed the voting. Tune in 10/23 for results.
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Litwitlou wrote:
Cattleman wrote:A couple of nights ago, I caught "The Great American Read" on my local PBS station. The topic was Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Historical Fiction (see lindagenerally's post above). At the end, they showed the 100 novels that were nominated to be the No. 1 read. I was surprised at how man of them I had read over the years. (You can view the list at pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/).
They just closed the voting. Tune in 10/23 for results.
1,To Kill a Mockingbird
- Harper Lee

Outlander (Series)

Harry Potter (Series)

Pride and Prejudice

Lord of the Rings

Gone with the Wind

Charlotte's Web

Little Women

Chronicles of Narnia

Jane Eyre

Anne of Green Gables

Grapes of Wrath

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Book Thief

Great Gatsby

The Help

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

And Then There Were None

Atlas Shrugged
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
princesscookie19
Experienced

Unread post

For a person with mental illness, it gives people a chance in life to expand your life.Children books/teenage horrors are good and it helps someones imagination,like a schizophrenic, reading what happens next helps the mind from going back to insanity acts. :roll:

Currently Reading - Daisy War Chain.
ralfy
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Also, check out Mark Edmundson's Why Read?.
IBstudentMoksu
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I also love reading, but I do not like fiction books that much. I mainly read non-fiction with a few exceptions. The main interests that I read about are:
-Mathematics
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-Philosophy
-History
-Personal finances
-Productivity
I started reading at a very young age. Because of the lack of my social skills and abilities to form friendships I became a very active reader - reading multiple hours per day. Right now I am 16 years old and the habit of reading has been turned out to be very useful. I still read a lot - about 2-3 hours per day. Because of this reading habit I have a broad knowledge about things that I can use in intellectual debates for example. I am very pleased that my parents once about 14 years back decided to try to make me read more books. Little did they know that this would later become an obsession and my future dream would develop to form my personal (science-related) library.
Meghana
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I started reading at a very young age when my teacher gifted me a book based on poetry. When I read that book I realized how useful it is to read the book based on new subjects. From those days, I developed my reading habit. I live in Bangalore and visit Sapna Book House for the wide variety of books based on different subjects. I love my this hobby and would recommend everyone to read books.

Return to “Everything Else”