• In total there are 28 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Scrumfish has wandered in

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Scrumfish has wandered in

Unread post

Hello. I discovered boards through a computer game I play and decided to see if intelligent conversations ever happen on them. I'm glad I stumbled across this one. I think I will be doing a lot of reading here, I have already spotted a lot of new books, authors, and ideas that I want to check out and I have only gone through a fraction of threads so far. About me...well, I think I'm a career student. I am interested in so many different things that I haven't narrowed down my field of study yet. I was raised in ultra-conservative North Dakota but since I left after high school (8 years ago) I have been exploring the world, literally and figuratively. I have spent the majority of my free time reading since I learned how. I read mostly fiction of all varieties, but have been increasingly interested in non-fiction works. The more I learn, the more uneducated I feel.
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Scrumfish has wandered in

Unread post

Welcome, Scrum!I hope you pick up Shermer's book for this month, and read along with us. It might answer some of those questions you've got, but, as you mentioned, we'll probably only end up with more after we're finished. And that's what makes life interesting.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

scrumfishSo where do you live now? Obviously, you've left Norh Dakota. Please sign into the Guest Map you find on our Home page in the lower right corner off in the margin. It's a map that tells us where each member is from.What type of fiction books do you prefer? I probably should read more fiction, as they do tend to be excellent escape mechanisms from the stresses of day-to-day life...and I have a tremendous amount of stress. Usually, I read fantasy books when I read fiction, but sometimes I'll actually pick up a random book just to experiment.Anyway, welcome to BookTalk. I hope to get to know you better. Now is a great time to get a copy of Michael Shermer's, "How We Believe," and join in the conversation.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

That is a cool map, Chris! I put my pin in Portland (at least, I what I thought was Portland), though I will always think of myself as from North Dakota. That is partially because my family will always be there and partially because I have moved around so much since then. (insert here banal saying about can't take the farm out of the girl) Will I be able to change it when I move again? I suppose I shouldn't worry about that until I do.I am hoping the library has Shermer's book since buying it is not in the budget this month. I would love to read along, especially since the subject is one I would definitely be able to relate to my life. I was raised in a very Christian family in an environment that did not forbid one to look at other options, but simply left no room to question. After I left home (I joined the Army instead of going to an in-state college like most I went to school with) I went through various 'stages' of Christianity, until I finally examined my beliefs and realized that I thought the whole thing was ridiculous (I in no way mean this or think this for other people, this is my conclusion for myself). In the last few years I have read a little bit here and there about various religions but the closest thing I've found to what I believe is my math book. I think the book would help me understand some of the difficulties I had shedding religion, and perhaps my parents, a bit better. There's a bit of background for y'all.And Now for the question of what type of fiction I prefer... I will read just about anything, though I do tend to avoid horror. I have recently gone through a big fantasy kick because my ex-roommate has about 100 books of that genre. I hadn't read much fantasy until about a year ago but now I am breathlessly awaiting the next book of the Wheel of Time series (thank goodness I only started reading them last year or I would have keeled over by now). For mindless reading when my brain is tired from school I have a stack of 25 cent used romance novels. When I go to the library I usually grab at least one classic...I have a list that I will someday get through. Usually I pick books that have been referred to in a class I've taken or that I saw mentioned somewhere and wrote down. Many of the books I've read were left in lounge rooms of barracks for anyone to read. I will now stop rambling and list some of my favorites for anyone who is stuck on finding something to read.Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardCry to Heaven by Anne Rice (no vampires)anything by Tom RobbinsCatch-22 by Joseph Heller It' not a complete favorite list, or even the top four, but they all either completely absorbed my attention or made me laugh hysterically.
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

whoops! I meant to add that you can call me Susanna if you prefer. Scrumfish is a bit odd, but it sounds cool if you say it out loud......scrum scrum scrumSusanna
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

SusannaQuote:In the last few years I have read a little bit here and there about various religions but the closest thing I've found to what I believe is my math book.Wow, you will fit in nicely here. I could have sworn I owned Ender's Game, but after looking through my bookshelves just now it isn't turning up. I'll look into getting a copy of this one.Welcome to the group!Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

I just want to see what my post count is at. For some reason I'm hoping it will jump back up to the large number that it used to be. I guess ezboard forgot about me since I didn't sign on for about a year.Checking this thread also reminded me that some of my posts were erased during the great ezboard eff up of....what year was that? Anyway, to update my position in life: I moved to a small town in North Dakota because my husband hates traffic and there is none here. We bought a very large old house that is taking up all of my time. That with my hobbies and the ever lasting college I haven't spent much time at Booktalk for awhile. Maybe when the weeds quit trying to take over my yard.......
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Scrum! Nice to see you around again. Hopefully we will see more of you.I am all about moving to where theer is no traffic...and as little people as possible as well. Seriously, the rat race and jam-packed urban life is wearing very thin on me.Hopefully within 5-6years we will make the move...somewhere.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Ah, so you've found the slower paced life as well. We take possession of our new house in 7 days! (some pictures on my blog) Ours will take only some of our time -- it doesn't need much of anything done to it.It's good to 'see' you again. "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Scrum, Lori was mentioning our post count in her personal thread. I guess your post count got wiped clean when the system was hacked. We lost a few hundred members off the membership roster. Once they made another post they were added back as members, but their post count was reset to zero. Annoying, but nothing that I can fix.

Return to “Everything Else”