• In total there are 22 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Internet discussion formats

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Internet discussion formats

Unread post

One reason I like Booktalk is the discussion board format. You can see every post in a thread, in order and in full, and there is an index showing all recent threads. And everything can easily be found using google search if you want to look at older conversations.

However, I have heard that there is a trend away from discussion boards.

The rise of Facebook is cited as one factor, but I find that surprising. Facebook gives a very confused platform for any extended serious conversation. Posts are hidden, blocked, and put in non-chronological order. Facebook pages have no simple index to find older stuff.

What do you think?
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Internet discussion formats

Unread post

Facebook is for very superficial discussions in my opinion. I agree with you on all accounts. Forums are for more serious in-depth conversations where sources are cited, images are attached and posts are kept in a logical and chronological order.

Here is something crazy I've observed. In all the years of having a BookTalk.org Facebook page I don't recall even one successful time where a Facebook participant has been dragged back to the real forums here. People on Facebook are just not there for the same reasons as people that frequent real forums. I've given up even trying to get people to join our forums via Facebook.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It would be a loss if the forum format went away. I don't have anything against social media, even though I don't use them, but booktalk is a better fit for me.

I don't think of booktalk.org as social media, but maybe in a way, it is.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm not sure how social media is defined these days but I don't personally consider forums to be a part of the social media world.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Booktalk fits in the broad social media definition at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media since it is user generated content, as opposed to the passive receipt of broadcast media. I have recently joined a few Facebook pages discussing religion and philosophy. They are hopelessly frustrating since it seems almost impossible to find anything a day after it gets posted.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

You hit the nail on the head. Good conversations get buried and pushed right off the page into oblivion so quickly.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

The move away from discussion boards to Facebook and other social media has been happening for a long time. I've seen several local bulletin boards dry up and blow away. In these cases most of the posters had met each other either as neighbors at social meetings for readers of the BB. They became Facebook friends and that was it for the BB. Since I didn't follow that trend for the most part, I lost track of almost all those people.

Yes the discussions are quite different, but not sure you should say which is better. One is more for keeping up with friends, the other is a bit more like a debate society.
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

Thank goodness for sites like BookTalk!
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
Jan_wow
Master Debater

Unread post

I hope online public discussion boards are not becoming a thing of the past. I have a group at church that I would like to bring to this online discussion board format because it's difficult to get a group together in-person every week, and not everyone has Facebook or wants Facebook, especially seniors. I've tried having a book study discussion over email, but there's always someone who hijacks email addresses and sends forwards to everyone. I'm really hoping to be able to lead a discussion group on booktalk!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

You're welcome to use BookTalk.org for your church discussions. I can even create a special forum just for you guys. I think I got an email from you about this or maybe it was from someone else. I will reply soon. Things have been hectic recently. But I will help you with this.

One of the problems I found with in-person book groups is that they inevitably attract one or more people that make the others uncomfortable. Book groups usually meet at someones private home. So now you have someone coming into your home that you really don't want in your home. Things get awkward. I find online forums much easier for this reason.

Return to “Everything Else”