• In total there are 56 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading program for adults

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Reading program for adults

Unread post

For the last several years, our local library has sponsored a Summer Reading Program for the kids. Books, activities, etc. are divided according to age (so the little ones done feel overwhelmed :( and the bigger ones don't get bored :yawn: ). This year the library has added an Adult division to the program. Basically, a group of selected books, everything from current fiction to classics to biographies, to history, to general reading has been placed ina special area. Membes are encouraged to read any of these (as well as any others), and personal reading logs are provided. Audio books are included, and e-books are available through our regional consortium. :clap:

To "sweeten the pot" and enclourage participation, readers are asked to fill out slip evaluating the book (one to five stars) and to write a one to two sentence 'review.' These slips are placed in a baket and each week one slip is drawn - the winner receives a $10.00 gift certificate to selected local eateries. I think this is a good idea, which is why I am posting it here. I am hoping othe libararies might try the same thing.

Does your local library do anything like this? If so, I would like to hear from you and find out if it has been successful.Thanks. :thanks2:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Reading program for adults

Unread post

Our local library has several book clubs. They publish the book discussion schedule for the entire year on a paper bookmark. I don't know how popular these are, but they've been going on for decades.

Literary Latté
For adults over 55. Next book is The Invention of Wings Paperback by Sue Monk Kidd

Mystery Book Club
Next book is Dear Daughter: A Novel by Elizabeth Little

I've seen one program where kids read to a therapy dog - unusual concept...

Here are other programs...
http://programs.cincinnatilibrary.org/e ... s,%2055%2B
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Reading program for adults

Unread post

We also have a 'Tuesday Book Club' which is quite active. I am not involved, too much else on my plate right now, but I am glad to hear about programs such as these.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Everything Else”