Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Request for Dog Training Book Recommendations 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

Post Request for Dog Training Book Recommendations
I've taken enough psych classes and babysat and had younger siblings so I understand the basics of how to train living things. I need information about how to take it to the next level. "No" and "Sit" are easy, but the concept of "Stay" is evading my puppy. I would also like Fred to learn how to heel. It doesn't help that since June we have been camping or at my family's farm so she has been able to run around a bit wild. There are no leash laws on a farm. :P

I understand that training takes daily practice. I also understand that I have zero experience at this so if I am going to take the time to do it I would like some sensible guidelines to follow. Fred and I would have taken a local puppy and owner class if they had not all been canceled because of the stupid Covid stuff. (The use of the word "stupid" there is a manifestation of my frustration about idiots not wearing masks, not a lack of taking this seriously.)

So, any of you dog people have a great recommendation for a book about how to train a dog?

Oh, and if anyone feels the need to criticize me for getting a puppy during this time, let me assure you....this was not my idea. I love my man, and he has always had a dog or dogs his entire life until we cohabitated so when he got laid off I signed off on him getting a dog. Because...mental health. I have come to realize that his mother was the one who trained all of the dogs he had before. He's not bad, one of his former jobs was coaching...but...I am not a dog person and I hate the dog being under the table when I'm eating, jumping on strangers, not coming immediately when called....

Yeah, I'm not a dog person, but I do not wish to resort to the shock collar. That just seems....not nice.

So, books or anecdotes to help me deal with my super awesome Fred! For inspiration, I give you the sleeping tongue out Fearless Fred the Wonder Dog:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a93dVgGCzXUbRJ4p8

And Fred taking a break from chasing frogs at the lake we camp at:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LKeoFHetsaXUhBqJA

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:08 am
Profile ICQ
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.