• In total there are 61 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 59 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Girl Meets Word then this Forum

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lisaadams
Getting Comfortable

Girl Meets Word then this Forum

Unread post

Hello everyone. I'm an avid reader, author and new indie publisher. My tag is my name, Lisa Adams, and I am glad to join this group of readers because I read all of the time myself. There is nothing I like more than opening a new book or re-reading old favorites. Then again, I just bought a NOOK for Christmas...ok, ok, so Angry Birds figured into it, too....somewhat...anyway I have found it wonderful for reading on the fly. I tend to enjoy medieval/renaissance-era themes. But I love books by Tolkien, Arthur C. Clarke, and a plethora of different authors. Right now I'm reading Jean Plaidy's, "A Favorite of the Queen..." about Robert Dudley, Queen Elizabeth, and the unfortunate demise of Amy Robsart. I am constantly amazed by the rapid development of the e-publishing trade that I saw hints of in the early 1990s when I was a legal journalist. Nobody thought it would go anywhere but apparently they were wrong. That said I look forward to meeting you guys and sharing books and ideas. I live in the northwest panhandle of Nebraska (the only not-flat part) where I live with my husband and several dogs and ne'er do well cats.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Girl Meets Word then this Forum

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :-)

I've heard of this "Angry Birds" game but never seen or played it.
lisaadams
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Ah, well, Chris it's kinda sorta goofy. You load birds (some are faster, bigger, heavier, scattershot) into a slingshot and try to destroy these forts the pigs built. The forst can be of ice, stone, or wood - or a combination of all three. The pigs stole the birds' eggs which has made them angry. It actually is completely queer, but fun because you actually do have to use your spatial skills and strategy to kill all the pigs - for example, you may only get three birds and have a huge structure with pigs all over the place. You have to find the weak spot - or the spot that creates the best domino effect - to land the birds. The fewer birds you use to kill all the pigs the higher your score. I'm kind of an old-school gamer (since my days 80-84) at Emory U where we had an asteroids and centipede machine. Haven't quit playing since.
lisaadams
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

oops - FORT - dang typos anyway
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Welcome lisa!

Glad to have you on board.

I've played my share of angry birds. Not bad. Reminds me of WORMS!

In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
lisaadams
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hey, Johnson - thanks - and yes, it does.

BTW: "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."

Having been there on 9/11, going into ground zero to assist and losing 26 Port Authority work colleagues, I will agree with this premise wholeheartedly.

I have been reading through the forums and find the science forum most interesting.

Return to “Everything Else”