• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

The Name of the Rose: First Day

#63: Feb. - Mar. 2009 (Fiction)
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

The Name of the Rose: First Day

Unread post

The First Day starts on page 19.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Is laughter the best medicine or the best poison?

I wish Penelope would take her divining rods, hold them over the computer, and locate the bug that's bitting BookTalk :)
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

Thomas Hood wrote:Is laughter the best medicine or the best poison?

I wish Penelope would take her divining rods, hold them over the computer, and locate the bug that's bitting BookTalk :)
what bug is that? I tried to get on the other day, but couldn't!
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

farmgirlshelley wrote:what bug is that? I tried to get on the other day, but couldn't!
Thanks for volunteering, Farmgirl. The Bug occasionally crashes BookTalk and causes the loss of most recent posts. Then BookTalk is shut down temporarily for repairs.

I have now read Day One and am attempting to make sense of it. It's such an alien world. I did not realize how the Reformation actually began in Italy, was brutally suppressed, and then moved northward. I have been researching the history of this tragic era (famine, plague, war, persecutions), the history of William's eyeglasses, Roger Bacon, Occam, nominalism, realism . . . .

Tom
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Location of the Abbey: "Conjecture allows us to designate a vague area between Pomposa and Conques. . .between Piedmont, Liguria, and France" (pp.3-4). But on p.289 Adso says the Abbey is no more than 10 miles from the sea. Therefore, the Abbey, perhaps an Abbey-like rock formation, should be in Liguria in rough territory and 10 miles inland. The reference to Conques (in France) and Pomposa mean, I think, that the Abbey of the book is a mixture of these two abbeys.

Pomposa Abbey is a Benedictine monastery near Ferrara, Italy. It was one of the most important in northern Italy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomposa_Abbey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conques

The tympanum of the last Judgement
http://www.conques.com/visite5.htm
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

Hi everyone, I have just returned back home from a funeral, so I didn't want you to think I have forgotten you. I am still working my way through day 1.... I have to say I am not having the easiest time! This book is going to be a challenge!
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

farmgirlshelley wrote:I am still working my way through day 1.... I have to say I am not having the easiest time! This book is going to be a challenge!
Farmgirl, I have the book "The Key to the Name of the Rose." If you have any questions about Latin translation, persons, or religious movements, post a question and I will try to answer it.

Tom
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

Thanks!
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Thomas, you are a wealth of information. I picked up The Key to the Name of the Rose and have found it so helpful in understanding this book. I love Semiotics too, so it is interesting to read on its own. :)
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

seespotrun2008 wrote:I picked up The Key to the Name of the Rose and have found it so helpful in understanding this book.
I was looking at "a history of art" book yesterday and realized that most of the historic persons and places in The Name of the Rose exist in drawings, statues, and photographs. It is unfortunate that this truly great book does not have a graphics website.

Return to “The Name of the Rose - by Umberto Eco”