• In total there are 18 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Physics of Astrological Ages

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Physics of Astrological Ages

Unread post

The research journal of the British Astrological Association, Correlation, takes an evidence based approach to analysis of astrology. My article The Physics of Astrological Ages was published in its latest issue, and is available free at my website at this link.

This article includes a number of points that I have discussed at Booktalk. In the introduction to the issue, the journal editor describes my article as groundbreaking. In the article I seek to take a scientific approach toward analysis of the structure of time at Earth scale, with focus on how precession of the equinox relates to climate cycles, mythology and the structure of the solar system.

The Correlation website is https://correlationjournal.com/
bookji
Official Newbie!

Re: Physics of Astrological Ages

Unread post

I checked the article and it seems very interesting, I will read it. I'm interested in astrology, so that's something that's definitely interesting for me. Thanks for sharing.
The Cancer compatibility chart shows that my best match is Taurus, and she is :wink: I love her!
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

bookji wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:28 am I checked the article and it seems very interesting, I will read it. I'm interested in astrology, so that's something that's definitely interesting for me. Thanks for sharing.
This article attempts to place astrology within an empirical framework, explaining physical structures of time that encompass our planet. Let me know what you think of it.
wallicolls
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The astrological ages are said to correspond with various real-world events. The Age of Aries, for example, is associated with the development of agricultural societies, while the Age of Pisces is thought to be a time of religious awakening. But what is the basis for these claims? Is there any scientific evidence to support them?

The answer lies in the fact that the Earth's axis wobbles over time, like a spinning top. This wobbling, known as precession, takes around 26,000 years to complete one cycle. As a result, the constellations that are aligned with the Sun at the winter solstice change over time. For instance, around 2,000 years ago, the Sun was in Leo at the winter solstice. Today, it is in Capricorn. And in another 2,000 years, it will be in Aquarius.

So what does this have to do with astrological ages? Well, some believe that each age lasts for around 2,150 years and corresponds with the constellation that is aligned with the Sun at the winter solstice. So we are currently in the Age of Pisces and will soon enter the Age of Aquarius.

Whether or not you believe in astrology, there's no denying that the changing alignment of the constellations can have an impact on our lives. After all, they have been used as a way to track time and predict events for thousands of years. Who knows what changes the coming Age of Aquarius will bring?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Hello Wallicolls, thank you for these comments and welcome to Booktalk. The physics of astrological ages is an obscure and difficult topic, and I appreciate your interest.
I hope you have read my published journal essay on it linked above.
wallicolls wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:41 am The astrological ages are said to correspond with various real-world events. The Age of Aries, for example, is associated with the development of agricultural societies, while the Age of Pisces is thought to be a time of religious awakening. But what is the basis for these claims? Is there any scientific evidence to support them?
The correspondence between star positions and historical events is easy to observe, but finding a causal relationship is far harder. That is the theme of my essay.
wallicolls wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:41 am The answer lies in the fact that the Earth's axis wobbles over time, like a spinning top. This wobbling, known as precession, takes around 26,000 years to complete one cycle. As a result, the constellations that are aligned with the Sun at the winter solstice change over time.
That is just a small part of the answer. The astronomy of axial precession is just an entry point to the science of astrological ages. As I explain in my essay, there are complex linkages to climate, mythology and the movement of the entire solar system.
wallicolls wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:41 am For instance, around 2,000 years ago, the Sun was in Leo at the winter solstice. Today, it is in Capricorn. And in another 2,000 years, it will be in Aquarius.
No, this is wrong. At the northern winter solstice on 21 December the Sun is now between Sagittarius and Scorpio, having precessed through Scorpio over the Age of Pisces. 2000 years ago it was between Libra and Scorpio, and in about 2300 years it will enter Capricorn.
wallicolls wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:41 am So what does this have to do with astrological ages? Well, some believe that each age lasts for around 2,150 years and corresponds with the constellation that is aligned with the Sun at the winter solstice. So we are currently in the Age of Pisces and will soon enter the Age of Aquarius.
Saying "some believe" is incorrect. It is a scientific fact that the Sun takes 2147.5 years to traverse each constellation of the zodiac on average. That is not a belief. And no one claims the ages correspond to the winter solstice position, it is position of the Sun at the spring equinox that is held to determine astrological ages.
wallicolls wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:41 am Whether or not you believe in astrology, there's no denying that the changing alignment of the constellations can have an impact on our lives. After all, they have been used as a way to track time and predict events for thousands of years. Who knows what changes the coming Age of Aquarius will bring?
There is much denying that the changing alignment of the constellations can have an impact on our lives. This claim is generally regarded as nonsense, except regarding the Milankovitch Cycles of climate change as I explain in my paper. I maintain that there is actually much more to this than has been accepted to date in mainstream science.
wallicolls
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:01 pm Hello Wallicolls, thank you for these comments and welcome to Booktalk. The physics of astrological ages is an obscure and difficult topic, and I appreciate your interest.
I hope you have read my published journal essay on it linked above.
wallicolls wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:41 am The astrological ages are said to correspond with various real-world events. The Age of Aries, for example, is associated with the development of agricultural societies, while the Age of Pisces is thought to be a time of religious awakening. But what is the basis for these claims? Is there any scientific evidence to support them?
The correspondence between star positions and historical events is easy to observe, but finding a causal relationship is far harder. That is the theme of my essay.
wallicolls wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:41 am The answer lies in the fact that the Earth's axis wobbles over time, like a spinning top. This wobbling, known as precession, takes around 26,000 years to complete one cycle. As a result, the constellations that are aligned with the Sun at the winter solstice change over time.
That is just a small part of the answer. The astronomy of axial precession is just an entry point to the science of astrological ages. As I explain in my essay, there are complex linkages to climate, mythology and the movement of the entire solar system.
wallicolls wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:41 am For instance, around 2,000 years ago, the Sun was in Leo at the winter solstice. Today, it is in Capricorn. And in another 2,000 years, it will be in Aquarius.
No, this is wrong. At the northern winter solstice on 21 December the Sun is now between Sagittarius and Scorpio, having precessed through Scorpio over the Age of Pisces. 2000 years ago it was between Libra and Scorpio, and in about 2300 years it will enter Capricorn.
wallicolls wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:41 am So what does this have to do with astrological ages? Well, some believe that each age lasts for around 2,150 years and corresponds with the constellation that is aligned with the Sun at the winter solstice. So we are currently in the Age of Pisces and will soon enter the Age of Aquarius.
Saying "some believe" is incorrect. It is a scientific fact that the Sun takes 2147.5 years to traverse each constellation of the zodiac on average. That is not a belief. And no one claims the ages correspond to the winter solstice position, it is position of the Sun at the spring equinox that is held to determine astrological ages.
wallicolls wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:41 am Whether or not you believe in astrology, there's no denying that the changing alignment of the constellations can have an impact on our lives. After all, they have been used as a way to track time and predict events for thousands of years. Who knows what changes the coming Age of Aquarius will bring?
There is much denying that the changing alignment of the constellations can have an impact on our lives. This claim is generally regarded as nonsense, except regarding the Milankovitch Cycles of climate change as I explain in my paper. I maintain that there is actually much more to this than has been accepted to date in mainstream science.
Thank you for your response to my message. I appreciate it!
I agree that my statements are “weak” compared to the resource that was sent above. More precisely, from the side (after your review) they look immature and slightly naive. The message was also written under the influence of the rest of the article, which I read and decided to give out "theory", ahahah. :chatsmilies_com_92:
But still thanks for the detailed answer and attention. :)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

wallicolls wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:39 pm Thank you for your response to my message. I appreciate it!
I agree that my statements are “weak” compared to the resource that was sent above. More precisely, from the side (after your review) they look immature and slightly naive. The message was also written under the influence of the rest of the article, which I read and decided to give out "theory", ahahah. :chatsmilies_com_92:
But still thanks for the detailed answer and attention. :)
You are very welcome. Not meaning to be pedantic, a principle in science is to be exact. This paper explores some quite new ideas, so I encourage any interest, happy to explain and answer any questions. The general theme is quantifying a practical wholistic approach to reality at the human level.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

How do those who credit astrology for any validity whatsoever, explain when the point came when the cycles began to affect life on earth in particular ways? Were hominids earlier than sapiens under the sway of these cycles? For that matter, were other animal societies affected? What evidence can there be that anything beyond evolution shaped the course of species' history? Why would the cycles of precession begin to operate on human beings only when complex societies emerged, if that is the claim of astrological belief? The exactitude of observation for which we can thank astrology is one thing, but its application to organic life is quite another. It's an archane interest, and that is all.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

DWill wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:48 pm How do those who credit astrology for any validity whatsoever, explain when the point came when the cycles began to affect life on earth in particular ways?
These are excellent questions, and I hope that some discussion may prompt people to read my paper where they are discussed in more detail.

There are three main dimensions of the long term precession effect.
1. the possible physical effect of the remarkable harmony between the precession and the structure of the solar system is a focus of my research, with the observation of the near exact 1/144 ratio between the wave period of the solar system centre of mass and the period of axial precession. This suggests a resonance generating a harmonic period of duration 2148 years for the Earth. This harmonic ratio is an empirical observation but its effect is purely hypothetical. My calculation was that the ratio was exact one million years ago, and the increasing distance of the lunar orbit will increase it to 1/145 over the next few million years. It creates what I term Houses of the Age, driven by the 179 year triple conjunction pattern of Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune as the main integrating period of the solar system, with each successive triple conjunction occurring in the successive zodiac sign.

2. The quantified effect on climate of the Milankovitch Cycles. As I explain in my paper, there is an actual 23,000 year cycle of light and dark for our planet caused by the rotation of the perihelion, the point of our orbit where Earth is closest to the Sun, around the seasons. This was a main driver of ice age cycles, but no longer has any climate effect because it has been swamped by anthropogenic emissions, as a defining factor in the shift from the Pleistocene to the Anthropocene. Precession only became a climate driver three million years ago, when the earth had cooled sufficiently for more snow to fall in winter than would melt in summer. This long term planetary cooling was mainly caused by the tectonic opening of the Tasman Seaway between Australia and Antarctica that started about 35 million years ago, accelerated by the joining of North and South America three million years ago.

3. The cultural imagination of zodiac ages that appears in mythology is based on ancient observation of the movement of the equinox between zodiac constellations every 2148 years. My view is that this was a major factor in early Christian cosmology, since lost to view. It has no dynamic physical effect, but the cultural effect is significant. It does however reflect a direct correspondence with the actual physical cycles of precession produced by the Milankovitch insolation changes. Notably, the theological period of fall occurred at the same time as the cooling effect of the physical period when perihelion moved through the season of fall, from about 4000 BC to 1000 AD. This is followed by the theological period of redemption matching to the underlying cyclic warming as the perihelion advances through January.
DWill wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:48 pm Were hominids earlier than sapiens under the sway of these cycles? For that matter, were other animal societies affected?
Precession did not affect climate before the Pleistocene, which started about 3 million years ago. Ocean benthic geological records show that before then plant and animal cycles of abundance were driven by the 41,000 year oscillation of the Earth tilt between about 21 and 24 degrees.
DWill wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:48 pmWhat evidence can there be that anything beyond evolution shaped the course of species' history?
None. But evolution includes adaptation to natural cycles such as the day, the month and the year. Given that the Milankovitch orbital cycles have been stable for four billion years, it is entirely plausible that their expression in climate would create selective pressure, such that species would have a long term pattern of differing quantities in warmer and colder periods. Precession is an evolutionary factor, although as I noted it has only been expressed in climate for the last three million years. A further issue here is that it is plausible that complex life is more sensitive to natural cycles like precession than we have been able to measure.
DWill wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:48 pm Why would the cycles of precession begin to operate on human beings only when complex societies emerged, if that is the claim of astrological belief?
A very interesting factor here, discussed in my paper, is the close match between the Indian Vedic myth of the Yuga cycle and the natural pattern of orbital precession, both of which have light and dark phases at about the same time. This Indian theory found its way into Judeo-Christian tradition. Authors such as Daniel, Hesiod and Ovid support the Vedic theory of a decline from an ancient golden age to a modern iron age, through intermediate ages of silver and bronze, which matches the underlying climate pattern. This points to a natural driver of the structure of myth. Further, language operates as an evolutionary factor through the cultural construction of meaning. The New Testament has a basic cosmology that matches to the Milankovitch Cycles. This has been concealed by dogmatic bigotry, but is clear when studied. It indicates that the cultural ideas of the astrological Ages of Taurus, Aries, Pisces and Aquarius formed core themes in Christian theology.
DWill wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:48 pmThe exactitude of observation for which we can thank astrology is one thing, but its application to organic life is quite another. It's an arcane interest, and that is all.
Astrology has a plausible organic effect produced by the sensitivity of life to its natural context, recognising that life on earth has evolved in the niche of the solar system. The journal Correlation, where my paper was published, contains extensive empirical analysis of weak astrological effects that leave a detectible statistical trace. What is most interesting in this regard is that the Biblical theory of the rule of Christ on earth has a strong temporal correlation to the astrological idea of the dawn of the Age of Aquarius, supported by the underlying orbital climate dynamics of precession.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Incredible reply, Robert (I mean that in the complimentary sense). I see that your efforts to redeem astrology center on climate effects, which as you say will affect evolution and culture. The "weak astrological effects" mentioned at the end, though, are probably more in line with traditional belief in cosmic movements influencing human personality and career choice. I seem to recall a discussion a long ways back of research that correlated sport selection with astrological sign, a correlation that held true for all athletes except basketball players. I suppose one could call that research interesting, but the support isn't robust, replication of the results hasn't happened, and investigating weak phenomena means that confounding factors are going to be bigger problems. It might be philistine of me, but I conclude that a lot of brilliance was, and continues to be, expended on a non-science. I wonder if your attempt to give the study new scientific relevance can succeed. Best of luck!

What could be the practical implications of your theory for combating climate change? It would seem to introduce an "out of our hands" determinism.

Return to “Science & Technology”