• In total there are 27 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Covid-19 Omicron variant

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Covid-19 Omicron variant

Unread post

Jim Watters wrote:...people getting "booster" shots are only showing up to 10 weeks of protection against Omicron.
Oh crap. Runs and checks card. Moderna booster administered on Halloween 10/31/2021. 10 weeks from there is tomorrow! But if I'm allowed to add a week or two for the boost to take effect, I'm good 'til 1/23/22. Hmmmm...Might just about make it? :bow:
Jim Watters wrote:The (memory) T-cells in the vaccinated and those who have had Covid are able to fight Omicron in a second line of defense. This appears to offset acute symptoms in a majority of cases, especially when the person's immune system is healthy.
I'm doing a few things to help my aging immune system such as sleep, Vitamin D (5K every other day), extra zinc, and anti-oxidants. But possibly most important, I'm on Day 8 of a Dry January. How many times have you gone to bed a bit tipsy and woken up with sniffles and sneezing in addition to a hangover? Uh-huh, you know what I'm talking about...

Another bit of good news is after Omicron waves peak, they fall just as quickly as they rose. Although different parts of America and the world are feeling the surge rise at different times, perhaps we'll be done with the whole damned thing in February? Mid-February?

However, I'm still alarmed at the notion of this virus contacting nearly 8 billion people in the next few weeks and even with mild symptoms that could lead to massive shutdowns as folks quarantine. Doesn't look like we're seeing that so far...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

froglipz wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:23 am I hope that the Omicron variant DOES make us less vulnerable to the severe symptoms and this becomes a seasonal ailment like the flu and manageable for the population, but I'm not counting on it.
I'm hoping but not counting on it either. I feel for you with your father. It is so hard to keep vulnerable people safe from this virus.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Hi All, long time no see. Saint Klaus is modelling some beach ware.

https://www.deviantart.com/klausschwabw ... -895859566

:bananadance: :tease:

this vid by John Campbell on Omicron is encouraging. :clap2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA-fvyGw-cc
Jim Watters
All Star Member
United States of America

Unread post

One overwelming sign of having Omicron not seen in earlier strains is night sweats.

And now doctors in Greece have detected a possible "Deltacron" recombinant variant a few days ago.
  • John Campbell, Jan 10th: Deltacron

geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Dr. John Campbell showed an interesting graph on his most recent episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrVGymR-jFU

The green line is Delta, the purple is omicron. What this seems to show is that omicron has replaced delta completely. Does that mean we've seen the last of delta? If so, good riddance!

Omicron is said to be the fastest spreading virus in history. Campbell suggests it's even more contagious than the measles, which is astonishing. And, again, both Campbell and Fauci say that almost everyone on the planet will be exposed to omicron by the end of this month. The good news, of course, is that those infected with omicron have a much lower percentage of hospitalizations and deaths than delta and the original strain. If I'm understanding correctly, the world may achieve some sort of natural immunity to future strains. We are on the way to living with Covid the same way we live with influenza and the common cold.

From an evolutionary perspective, it may make sense that future strains of covid will follow in the footsteps of omicron—being very contagious but not very deadly. If a virus "wants" to spread its genes, killing its human host is not beneficial. In a way it "wants" to just use us to propagate itself. And so the most successful Covid virus may end up being mostly harmless (except to immuno-compromised individuals).
-Geo
Question everything
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Delta is far from replaced. So many people are infected with delta--tens of millions in the States alone--that they will continue dying of it for quite some time.

Concerning how long the booster lasts, we're aren't really sure. Anybody giving any numbers right now are talking out their ass. Even after the two jabs, which I got back in May of 2021, they said the protection only lasts two or three months. That might be in some people but it was bullshit to a lot of other people. The 2nd shot knocked me off my feet for a few hours. I went to work the next day and felt fine. But I had a bad headache and lethargy before that. That was my body reacting to the spike protein. When I got the booster, some people told me it will make me feel like the 2nd jab did. I felt nothing whatsoever. That was a good 6 full months after the 2nd jab and my body did not even react to the booster, so I was still extremely well-protected 6 mos later considering how shitty the 2nd jab made me feel.

What they are noticing is that the booster gives pretty good protection against omicron and if we can get by until spring starts, we might finally turn a corner on omicron and see the infection rate peak. We won't be out of the woods even if that happens. Millions and millions of people are still sick as you read this and even one percent of them dying is going to add a lot to the death toll even if no new deaths are reported. For example, it's only a matter of time before the US reaches 1 million deaths even if no new infections kill anyone. Enough are sick now to make it inevitable.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

There's an emerging controversy on what will happen next, two divergent views, something like the following.
  1. Omicron will confer significant immunity on most humans while causing much less damage than Delta. We may be nearing an endemic phase where Covid becomes an ongoing but manageable illness.
  2. Omicron will encounter almost every human on earth soon. As one result, there will be new variants arising and more waves - we are not close to a manageable endemic phase.
Regarding Viewpoint A above, here's a similar prediction that has proved wrong.
Dr. Scott Gottlieb says the Covid delta surge may be the ‘final wave’ in U.S.
Dr. Scott Gottlieb (former FDA commissioner) told CNBC on Monday the current surge in Covid infections caused by the more contagious delta variant may be the “final wave” of the virus in the United States.

“I don’t think Covid is going to be epidemic all through the fall and the winter. I think that this is the final wave, the final act, assuming we don’t have a variant emerge that pierces the immunity offered by prior infection or vaccination,” the former Food and Drug Administration commissioner said on “Squawk Box.” “This is probably going to be the wave of infection that ends up affecting the people who refuse to get vaccinated.”

8/9/2021
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/09/dr-scot ... in-us.html
Regarding Viewpoint B above, we now have the following... (I don't think this is the "Deltacron" variant that John Campbell dismisses in Jim Watters' link from 1/12/2022 above, but could be wrong.)
Stealth Omicron COVID Variant BA.2 That May Spread Faster Found in at Least 40 Countries
The Omicron BA.2 sub-variant, also dubbed "stealth Omicron," has been detected in at least 40 countries worldwide. BA.2 has caught attention in recent days as it has been responsible for an increasing proportion of Omicron infections compared to the BA.1 lineage that has been the dominant Omicron type so far. Labs in countries including Denmark and Norway have reported that the sub-variant has been gaining ground, accounting for nearly half of all COVID cases in the former as of January 20, marking a sharp increase in recent weeks. Virologists say that there is much to learn about BA.2, but it appears the sub-variant may have a transmission advantage over BA.1.

1/24/2022
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/st ... d=msedgntp
Jim Watters
All Star Member
United States of America

Unread post

Hey nations! Yeah, we weren't responsible for all this SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) understand?

Oh look, this virus we found is just one mutation away from creating a new pandemic with a 33%+ mortality rate. It would be a shame if that one mutation happened right? Back in November we started building mega-hospitals in each of our major cities that could hold hundreds of thousands of patients each. We close down entire cities and physically bar the doors of sick people/families to prevent them from leaving their homes, even if they starve to death. Do you like our fully developed DF-ZF hypersonic first strike nuclear EMP missiles? Excuse us as we reunite Taiwan with the mainland with no external interference...

:coco: :no: :tease:
pauline121
Official Newbie!
United States of America

Unread post

I think this variant is the sign of the last stage of Covid-19 and at the end of this year we will overcome this virus.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I’m not going to pull up any quotes, I’m just giving an anecdotal update :) . Over this past New Year holiday I tested positive for covid. I was not informed of the particular variation as I wasn’t hospitalized, I merely tested positive.
I found the whole experience interesting. My symptoms were. Sporadic fever, constant headache, dry jarring cough, night sweats, and a brief bout of diarrhea. All managed through over the counter medication.
I quarantined for twelve days though I was only symptom positive for seven days.
It is interesting because I followed the guidelines and it did not seem to hurt besides I’ll be damned if I’m going to be the dickhead who spreads this shit around. I think I’m not alone in this thinking.
I know something else for certain... There is no predicting what comes next... at least not on the layperson level, the experts know more than us but even they play guessing games.
Biological change over time can be predicted by experts from mere suggestion of past and existing examples. Viruses want to survive like any other living thing. Mutations are the dice roll of uncertainty.
Covid wants to hang around, it’s in its interest to do so. That’s what I find fascinating. We are witnessing evolution in the moment.
There are those who are pushing the lab leak conspiracy, there’s good reason for that.
A lab leak means that covid was “created” just like Adam and Eve and the Earth and everything else.
Young Earth Creationist bullshit... What do you think of that Booktalk people?.
Those evil atheist Chinese Communist. Satans workhorses. It fits a narrative.
Say it out loud and these Appalachian MAGA tards will make you President of the United States. Shout out these absurdities and you too can be Margery Tayler Green .
but I digress... Covid is here for the long run or it won’t. No person can say. It will take a god to authorize the fate of humanity and Covid 19.
I think it’s inappropriate to claim to be “over” covid because there is no evidence to suggest that covid is over us, it may just be getting started.
Better safe than sorry I say.
I’m not paranoid I just have little trust in strangers, but more so I have little trust in anti-vaxxers, red state morons, libertarian social darwinist, a hyperreactve news media and jackasses like Scott Morrison, Vlad Pewtin, former president shit for brains, xi jinping, Joe Rogan, Bill Maher, cnn, msnbc, fox networks.
Covid is the tip of the iceberg of societal stupidity. Our combined medias broadcast ignorance and fear like Saharan dust broadcast around the globe.
We are skin deep in dumb. There is no escape from this. Humanity is a Christ’s crucifixion past salvation. Think about it!. Humans concoct Christ the redeemer and humanity has been mostly a failure or fucked ever since.
We’ve invented some marvelous trinkets since Christ’s time but really nothing new under the sun ever.
We invented God to die or kill by Gods name. We replaced God with money only to die or kill in the concept of money.
Covid is a metaphor for biological evolution, Each generation is living the halcyon days but for the bygone days, consider a sentient Covid, (it’s not) survival is its own purpose.
Christians ask, with out god how do you have purpose? Fools that they are. Mere survival is primary, sympathy, empathy comes accordant.
Omicron is accordant, The virus will die if it kills its host. It is evolving for its benefit,its survival,its purpose.

Return to “Science & Technology”