• In total there are 44 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Gaming Computers & MMORPGs

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Gaming Computers & MMORPGs

Unread post

MMORPGs...

Anyone up on new gaming computers? I played Everquest then Lord of the Rings Online years ago and I'd like to see what the new MMOs are like. This Samsung 700 Series was a good gaming laptop for its day but it's time to upgrade.

Looking at a Dell Alienware New 15M.

Anyone know what's necessary in a good gaming laptop?

Who can recommend a good MMORPG? I'm more PvE and crafting than PvP — but some PvP is fine as long as it isn't the main focus. Looking for something new that's in Beta now or has been recently released. Want to get in on the ground floor of an MMO.

Any gamers out there?
"I have a great relationship with the blacks."
Donald J. Trump
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Gaming Computers & MMORPGs

Unread post

I'm a gamer. I played Everquest and LOTRO also, amongst others. I've been keeping my eye on Crowfall and Camelot Unchained, but those are PVP based.

A couple highly rated MMO's that aren't out yet, but aren't primarily PVP focused are Ashes of Creation, and New World. Amazon is making New World, and they're using their web services to run it, which takes care of the tech side out the gate. Both do have PVP, and it might be more than you're wanting.

Final Fantasy XIV has been out a while, but it's the highest rated PVE mmo out there. It's worth a look.

If you're buying a new computer, you should be good to run it. You only really need to be serious about the specs when you start playing sandbox simulation games, where the endgame will bog down nearly any computer(factorio, ONI, Cities)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Interbane wrote:I'm a gamer. I played Everquest and LOTRO also, amongst others. I've been keeping my eye on Crowfall and Camelot Unchained, but those are PVP based.

A couple highly rated MMO's that aren't out yet, but aren't primarily PVP focused are Ashes of Creation, and New World. Amazon is making New World, and they're using their web services to run it, which takes care of the tech side out the gate. Both do have PVP, and it might be more than you're wanting.

Final Fantasy XIV has been out a while, but it's the highest rated PVE mmo out there. It's worth a look.

If you're buying a new computer, you should be good to run it. You only really need to be serious about the specs when you start playing sandbox simulation games, where the endgame will bog down nearly any computer(factorio, ONI, Cities)
The two games that stand out to me are Ashes of Creation and Camelot Unchained. Haven't seen much about New World but will look into it. Camelot Unchained is Realm v. Realm. There are 3 realms. I don't know if that's heavy PvP but I think I can get into the Beta 1 testing and check it out. FFXIV doesn't interest me, really. I want to get in on the ground floor of an MMORPG. Either while it's still in Beta or soon after initial release.

Thanks for the help.
Donald J. Trump
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm beta testing CU, and it's heavy PVP. The beta test is pretty much entirely PVP. They're working on structure damage physics for sieges right now. There will still be a central PVE location that is opened up to whichever of the 3 realms is winning the PVP war, but the focus is still PVP.

In Crowfall, it's also primarily PVP, but the crafting side of the game is incredibly deep. There are no good PVE battles like boss fights or whatever. You gather and craft, then use what's crafted to PVP. You could play the game as a dedicated crafter, but you'll still be killed if you venture into contested lands, which comprise most of the world.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Litwitlou

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Droppin' Knowledge

Unread post

Interbane wrote:I'm beta testing CU, and it's heavy PVP. The beta test is pretty much entirely PVP. They're working on structure damage physics for sieges right now. There will still be a central PVE location that is opened up to whichever of the 3 realms is winning the PVP war, but the focus is still PVP.

In Crowfall, it's also primarily PVP, but the crafting side of the game is incredibly deep. There are no good PVE battles like boss fights or whatever. You gather and craft, then use what's crafted to PVP. You could play the game as a dedicated crafter, but you'll still be killed if you venture into contested lands, which comprise most of the world.
Good to know. I'll check out the CU Beta but may have to go with AotF.
Donald J. Trump

Return to “Science & Technology”