• In total there are 36 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What are the purposes of science and technology?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Orchardhouse
Official Newbie!

What are the purposes of science and technology?

Unread post

Science and Technology. Science encompasses the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment, and technology is the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: What are the purposes of science and technology?

Unread post

Hey Orchardhouse. I think you captured it. The lack of distinction between the philosophy of science, the methods of science, and the products of science sometimes causes misunderstanding. By products, I mean the intellectual products - hypotheses and theories.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

emiliocarcano wrote:https://youtu.be/81G5_lNEPL0
This link is to a two minute epistemology talk. I was expecting it to be spam.
SignalWalker
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Orchardhouse wrote:Science and Technology. Science encompasses the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment, and technology is the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes.
To make life easier and allow us all to live longer. :)
I still like paper books. And I love Barnes and Noble. :) And web forums. http://ex-christian.freeforums.net/
ellisacoy
Master Debater

Unread post

I would say science has been there in our world always since humans have always been curious creatures. One doesn't necessarily have to pick up an earth science textbook and understand all the realities of inventions and discoveries way back. It suffices to say that we have always asked the 'why' question from why does this particular mushroom make me feel a little woozy and out of the world to why does the apple fall down. On the other hand, though, technology came into the forefront as a powerful source esp in hand with urbanization and industrialisation. The big shift also created a shift in the ways that we viewed space and time. Science and technology is important currently because it helps us broaden the areas of our human knowledge.

Return to “Science & Technology”