• In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Cool visualization of human evolution

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Cool visualization of human evolution

Unread post

http://www.wimp.com/evolution-in-90-seconds/

Very effective propaganda, of course I ain't evolved from no apes
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Cool visualization of human evolution

Unread post

Does the fossil record evidence the entire visualization?

I didnt see at which point self awareness arose?
Is there evidence for that as well?

Thannks
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

It is claimed to be based on fossil evidence, there are a lot of hominid fossils that you'd be pretty hard pressed to explain otherwise.

The point of self-awareness is not necessary to confirm the fact of evolution.

Wouldn't you agree?
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

I don't know what fossils John Curche based his artistic impressions on though I suppose it's in his book. What's noticeable is how early whites appear in the eyes of his models in that video.
In fact he said he did this to make them appear soulful. This is certainly not the norm in apes and it's not something that can be deduced from bones.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ces/61567/

He did a reconstruction of australopithecene 'Lucy' and this fossil has the long curved fingers typical of chimps for instance, but his 'Lucy's' fingers appears more straight and human like, at least to my eyes.

http://www.discovermagazine.com/galleri ... -ancestors

There are issues and disagreements among paleontologists about hominids but of course it's generally thought among them that something along these lines is true in keeping with the theory.

The theory seems to have portable goalposts. For instance discovery of soft tissue in 75 million year old dinosaur bones is now claimed and it's not a one off, but Mary Schweitzer made similar discoveries also. From the linked article; These are "ordinary bones collected from the surface at Dinosaur Park Formation in Canada."
Also;"Scientists had thought proteins that make up soft tissue should degrade in less than a million years in the best conditions."
What then? Well I guess soft tissue and blood cells can survive for 75 million years. This is moving the goalposts in my opinion. So what about the excuse for the myriad alleged missing soft tissue links in the record then?
It can't be that the supposed date could be wrong, it seems.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... ld-fossil/

Anyone who attempts to falsify the theory is tilting at windmills as it can't be falsified and can accommodate all contradictory evidence a bit too comfortably, in my view.
http://www.uncommondescent.com/stasis/m ... evolution/
Last edited by Flann 5 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Anyone who attempts to falsify the theory is tilting at windmills as it can't be falsified and can accommodate all contradictory evidence a bit too comfortably, in my view.
The evidence all fits like a glove. There are countless ways the evidence could be different, therefore falsifying evolution. But it isn't different. It matches what the theory describes. This is a good sign that the theory is true, don't you think?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

The usual creationist response to hominid fossils is to claim that there are no intermediates; each one is either a human or an ape. It doesn't matter that some of the "humans" have a brain size well below the normal human range, heavy brow ridges, no chin, and teeth larger than modern ones set in a projecting jaw, or that some of the "apes" were bipedal, with very humanlike teeth, and brains larger than those of similar sized apes. There are some skulls which cannot be reliably assigned to either genus. (Willis 1989)

This is exactly what we would expect if evolution had occurred. If, on the other hand, creationism was true and there was a large gap between humans and apes, it should be easy to separate hominid fossils into humans and apes. This is not the case. As will be shown, creationists themselves cannot agree which fossils are humans and which are apes. It would not matter even if creationists could decide where to put the dividing line between humans and apes. No matter where it is placed, the humans just above the line and the apes just below it will be more similar to one another than they will be to other humans or other apes.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/cre_args.html

Any creationists, or quasi-skeptics, want to take a crack at it? How do you explain the series of hominid fossils?
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Interbane wrote:The evidence all fits like a glove. There are countless ways the evidence could be different, therefore falsifying evolution. But it isn't different. It matches what the theory describes. This is a good sign that the theory is true, don't you think?
I think it's not allowed to be falsified. Many paleontologists don't accept the incompleteness of the fossil record argument. Darwin himself was honest about this.
The overwhelming pattern is stasis punctuated by the sudden appearance of new complex creatures. Eldridge and Gould hypothesised rapid and sudden macro-evolution, without evidence for it, in order to account for this.
Stasis doesn't mean no variation but very limited. From what can be experimentally known from bacteria and fruit flies change is not dramatic creating new species or anything radically different.
Known mechanisms for change seem hopelessly inadequate. Biological systems like the cell seem programmed to replicate accurately with backup corrective features.
Mutations still occur and these subversions of the system are supposed to be the driver of change and innovation. They are predominantly harmful or neutral.
Not only that but as Loennig demonstrates even induced long term mutations show a pattern of recurrence thereby limiting possible variation.
As I've said before the hypothesised transition from a land mammal to a whale involves large scale co-ordinated and simultaneous changes to entire interdependent biological systems within a narrow time frame.
There are other phenomena such as horizontal gene transfer and environmental adaptation by cells and organisms.
Whether all these are adequate to explain believed macro-evolution is the question.
I'm sceptical, but it's unlikely to convince anyone of the opposite view.
What mechanisms can perform this feat,multiple simultaneous mutations? That's what the system is programmed to avoid and correct.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

What in the environment triggered rapid change as opposed to stasis?

My question was does tbe fossil record account for each visualization we see on this video?
Do we have bones to reconstruct each face?

Im wondering which of these evolutionary faces can be called human?
Is it just the most handsome face that possess humaness?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

What in the environment triggered rapid change as opposed to stasis?
That's near impossible to know.
My question was does tbe fossil record account for each visualization we see on this video?
Do we have bones to reconstruct each face?
There are assumptions, we aren't omniscient. There could be errors, but it is very close. A lot can be inferred from partial remains.
Im wondering which of these evolutionary faces can be called human?
Is it just the most handsome face that possess humaness?
:?:

Are you honestly curious about these things? Are you asking these questions to better understand, or to find a reason to not understand? The difference is small, but it is everything.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

That's near impossible to know.
So we cannot comment with any evidentiary confidence (which is what the objective of science is) if it was in fact the environment itself that caused rapid change.
Confidence without evidence. This is true, no?

There are assumptions, we aren't omniscient. There could be errors, but it is very close. A lot can be inferred from partial remains.
How many errors?
Do we know?
If we don't know, how do we know "it is very close"?
Are you honestly curious about these things? Are you asking these questions to better understand, or to find a reason to not understand? The difference is small, but it is everything.
No, Interbane, I'm being dishonest here.
Just like I am with Climate Change.

Which of the faces is a Human Being, Interbane?
Last edited by ant on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Science & Technology”