Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:13 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average. 
Brain grown in lab 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Post Brain grown in lab
I saw this article and had a visceral reaction. It may be harmless, but it makes me sick.

https://news.osu.edu/news/2015/08/18/human-brain-model/

So let's say the brain cannot think... yet. What happens when it's recreated overseas somewhere, and a brain is made that has feelings, and is stuck in an infantile experience mode in a state of panic because "something is wrong" with it's body? No, this needs to be watched carefully. Even artificial suffering is an absolute no no.

The following user would like to thank Interbane for this post:
Taylor
Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:50 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Post Re: Brain grown in lab
Interbane wrote:
I saw this article and had a visceral reaction. It may be harmless, but it makes me sick.

https://news.osu.edu/news/2015/08/18/human-brain-model/

So let's say the brain cannot think... yet. What happens when it's recreated overseas somewhere, and a brain is made that has feelings, and is stuck in an infantile experience mode in a state of panic because "something is wrong" with it's body? No, this needs to be watched carefully. Even artificial suffering is an absolute no no.

It's Christianity's fault. They're the cause of all this science can disregard the ethical in favor of "progress"

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:58 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Do you always have to post something stupid or divisive?

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:42 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Interbane wrote:
Do you always have to post something stupid or divisive?

I'm just doing what everyone else here does; direct the topic to the evils of Christianity.
I thought I'd get a jump on everyone else.

This should be good news for you. A brain transplant procedure is just around the corner now.
Just think of it! A designer brain that has no religious thoughts in it!

Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:09 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

I thought you might appreciate this.
I haven't had time to read it all.

http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/20 ... tro-brain/

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Taylor
Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:07 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Silver Contributor

Roald Anand, is very likely to get enormously rich from the petri brain.

Both articles cover a strange biological development, that by the nature of the accomplishment, is to me fascinating. Setting the ethics momentarily aside, I can understand how said accomplishment may render those involved to look at the situation with peripheral blinders, but only in the short term I would hope, and only on paper in the long term, the real deal brain, is as the Oxford article points out, a short story horror.

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
ant
Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:12 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

This could end dementia and various other neurological and nervous system diseases.

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:16 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

I think you have nothing to worry about. We are really far away from developing a real brain in the lab. What they did was to create a small, very primitive version of the human brain. It is an amazing accomplishment for science but it's going to take a long time to create a brain that thinks, is able to learn, to fell, etc.

For the moment it has implications only for basic research since it will allow researchers to study brain development and neurons in a better way. But applications such as curing diseases, transplanting brains or such are only science fiction!

And I believe there is no pain involved here! The human brain does not have pain receptors. Remember that scene in Hannibal (the sequel movie to Silence of The Lambs) where Hannibal is eating the brain of a live and awake guy? So, even if that brain they created in the lab would have the possibility to experience pain, it lacks the receptors for doing so, they normally are located in the periphery (skin) or in other tissues in the body.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:39 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.Evaluations: 1, 1.00 on the average.