Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Assuming evolution is factual, what do you think is the next step in our evolution? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Assuming evolution is factual, what do you think is the next step in our evolution?
I'm a member of Mensa and in the monthly "Bulletin" magazine they ask questions to the readers. I'm going through the questions from the past several months and will be posting the ones I find interesting here on BookTalk.org.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:30 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Post Re: Assuming evolution is factual, what do you think is the next step in our evolution?
Our best attribute for survival is our ability to create and innovate.

Using that tool we've been able to provide food where there was none, water for crops where it is naturally dry, and a living space that removes us from the selecting pressures that applied to us for so many millions of years to shape us into what we are.

Now, even debilitating illnesses which would have struck us down can be managed. We can not only survive and have children, we can thrive even while being physically unable to dress ourselves.

So with this as the backdrop, what is our future? What is the selective pressure that moves us forward?

It's hard for me to imagine a truly isolated breeding pool. World wide travel is too easy. I don't see some small splinter lineage really diverging from the rest of us too easily.

To force a change on us now would require something catestrophic, i think. Some disease which sweeps the population sparing only those with some peculiar genetic mutation.

Either we will develope our abilities to change the world with technology and augment ourselves with computers, or perhaps we will have a world wide break down leading to something close to idiocracy. Where we have high technology from our granparents, but nobody who really understands it.

As for a sequestered breeding population which could lead to a more natural natural selection process, maybe that will finally come to us again when we manage to colonize another planet?

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
Chris OConnor
Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:46 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Post Re: Assuming evolution is factual, what do you think is the next step in our evolution?
I contest your assumption. Evolution is JUST A THEORY.

The following user would like to thank Dexter for this post:
johnson1010
Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:35 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

I don't see much reason to think we will evolve organically to any from we could label as a next stage. As johnson said, where would the selective pressure come from to make this happen? Cultural evolution is a different matter, and it doesn't require that we become brighter bulbs than we are now. If we listen to people like Steven Pinker, we've already become quite a bit more morally evolved than was true just a couple hundred years ago, and this progress may even accelerate. The next stage is one where we don't need to solve our disputes by killing each other, and where moral consideration is extended to all humans as well as to the natural world.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Chris OConnor, johnson1010
Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:25 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Physically, human evolution is driven by technology, which has radically liberated women, in terms of childbirth, drudgery and social equality. Where it used to be the case that wealth enabled fecundity, the situation is now reversed, with wealth enabling barrenness due to careers open to merit and fertility becoming optional. Meanwhile poverty now enables high fertility, since nearly all children survive in communities where infant mortality used to approach one in three. Medical technology is causing the evolution of narrow hips, since women who previously would have died in childbirth now have children.

Socially, evolution will be driven by globalisation, with steadily greater inter-cultural mixing and technological innovation. But with an approaching ten billion world population, and carbon emissions likely to utterly destabilise the climate with a six degree celsius temperature increase this century, the four horsemen of the apocalypse - death, famine, war and plague - pose significant risks.

Christianity will have a great revival in a new form, delivering ethical meaning, community ritual and emotional comfort, but totally shorn of all supernatural fantasy, which will in future be understood just as symbolic allegory within a purely scientific paradigm.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Chris OConnor, johnson1010
Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:47 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

Robert, you say Christianity will have a rebirth. From what we can see today, I think that this might be true only in the sense that some of its ethical basis will generalize to greater parts of the population. But there would be as much reason to call this Buddhism as to call it Christianity. What we may see is continued growth of the "beyond religion" approach advanced by the Dali Lama, who has become a "major brand" in the marketplace of religious thinking. Given that in his teachings he incorporates a scientific perspective, he seems better positioned to give us a viable, modernized religion. I sometimes am surprised by his statements, because they actually often don't seem profound, and there is nothing difficult to understand about them. Maybe that is just the point, that we don't need any of the dogmas particular to a tradition, dogmas that tend to the abstruse and that seek to be exclusive. The real inclusive truths turn out to be humanity's commonplaces.

I just don't see any future in terms of worldwide religion for the repurposing of the mythic narratives of Christianity. That would not provide the truly ecumenical foundation that people will seek.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
johnson1010
Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:35 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

Silver Contributor

Is it possible that we will follow in the footsteps of the dinosaurs and become smaller? Like it is said of the birds of today having evolved from the raptors of the Jurassic Period. Technology and/or catastrophe will almost certainly play a part in evolutionary change but imagine a world of billions and billions of tiny people looking in awe at the gargantuan faces on Mount Rushmore. Tiny people setting up towns and city's near local landfills of the past, mining whats left them from ancient peoples. I think human population will be a concerning factor in the evolutionary change to tiny humans, overcrowding each other we will subtly diminish in size that could be less than lilliputain in stature. Mind you this is just hypothesis born of a brain that was not qualified for Mensa status(though I tried) but of of a brain accustomed to LSD in its youth.

The following user would like to thank Taylor for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:43 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

Dexter wrote:
I contest your assumption. Evolution is JUST A THEORY.

Gravity is also "just a theory." Please learn the difference between hypothesis and theory. Also the question started with the assumption that evolution is factual, which means that it is meant to be a discussion about where evolution, if true, might lead, and not a place to argue about whether or not evolution is real. There are other places to argue over that on this forum. Just have fun with the question.

And just for fun...I think the next step is communication by telepathy instead of having to use words. The brain functions on an interesting combination of electric and chemical signals. I think that someday the electric stuff might be able to be passed from person to person instead of just inside one person. Words are a poor way of communicating between people. Words are a description of the picture one has in one's mind. I often find that the words I use to describe the idea in my mind doesn't match up with the way a different person pictures what a particular word or set of words describe. If I could send the ideas from my mind directly instead of using words I'm sure there would be less mix ups regarding the ideas that I try to describe using words.

This actually makes me think of Michio Kaku, a theoretical physicist that has recently written the book "The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind." I'd do a poor job of describing it so I'll just post this clip of his interview on The Daily Show:

thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-february-25- ... ichio-kaku

It sounds like we might as some point be able to upload learning into our brain in a similar manner to The Matrix.

The following user would like to thank scrumfish for this post:
Chris OConnor, johnson1010, Rajesh
Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:39 pm
Profile ICQ
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Ina you FACE dexter!

haha

Scrumfish is right.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:16 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

johnson1010 wrote:
Ina you FACE dexter!

haha

Scrumfish is right.

This is off topic; how did scrumfish get all those stars by his name?
I thought stars by a user's name represented the number of years a person has been a member of BT

I deserve more stars by my name.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:20 am
Profile Email
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

More importantly, who put that stinking "discussion leader" title next to my name? I'm no stinking discussion leader.

Anyway, back to the topic, I think we're going to grow a third arm that will be used specifically for texting on cell phones and help us generally become more proficient at multi-tasking. Maybe a third eye too.

Last edited by geo on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
Chris OConnor
Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:48 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Ant, I assume you're joking about the stars. But in case you're not Scrumfish joined in March of 2004. You joined in June of 2011. In June of this year you'll get another star. The system is automated.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:48 am
Profile Email WWW

Gold Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:
Ant, I assume you're joking about the stars. But in case you're not Scrumfish joined in March of 2004. You joined in June of 2011. In June of this year you'll get another star. The system is automated.

Can you bypass the automation and give me several more stars?

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:50 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

We'll be an idiocracy once computers do all the heavy thinking. The dumb ones are already breeding like rabbits.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:53 am

Gold Contributor

Tooth decay will be a thing of the past because human beings will grow beaks.
Beaks don't get cavities or gingivitis. Also, polishing the outside of a beak is much easier than brushing.
Dental bills will be a thing of the past.

Beak transplants for humans that have yet to develop full beaks will be expensive but necessary.
People will have to forgo costly science degrees to afford beak transplants because survival in your environment depends more on a beak than your ability to do physics.

Just ask Johnson. For survival reasons, he'd go with the beak.
Quantum physics is of no use at the dinner table or out in the wild.

Last edited by ant on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:22 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next