• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What Scientists Really Do

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

What Scientists Really Do

Unread post

“eminent researchers can be held captive by their entrenched intuitions and refuse to accept new ideas until they are faced with overwhelming empirical evidence contradicting their views”
“scientists continually uncover new facts that confront them with the extent of their ignorance”

This book review published in the New York Review of Books is available online free at http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archive ... ?insrc=toc

Priyamvada Natarajan
OCTOBER 23, 2014 ISSUE
Curiosity: How Science Became Interested in Everything
by Philip Ball
University of Chicago Press, 465 pp., $35.00
Ignorance: How It Drives Science
by Stuart Firestein
Oxford University Press, 195 pp., $21.95

This is a highly informative book review regarding scientific method, addressing evolving attitudes towards curiosity, and the bizarre outcomes of public ignorance. In two incidents from 2012, Italian seismologists were jailed for failing to predict an earthquake, and North Carolina banned the use of scientific data on sea level.

The quotes above from the review, citing books by Mario Livio and Stuart Firestein, illustrate the humility and uncertainty that are core to scientific method. I think these principles are difficult to apply well, because science does have areas of certainty, and the challenge is to demarcate the boundary between certainty and uncertainty.

The review features this imaginary drawing from Titan, a view of Saturn that is impossible because Titan is wreathed in thick cloud.

MikeRConwell
Official Newbie!

Re: What Scientists Really Do

Unread post

It is really a good science book and every science student should read it ones. It is How Science Became Interested in Everything by Philip Ball.
EDU Libs | An educational Library for everyday use =====>> https://edulibs.org/
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Okay I have to start with the following:

Most “scientists” are bottle washers and button sorters. -Robert A. Heinlein, "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long," Time Enough for Love (1973 ). :lol:

But seriously, the review looks interesting, as do the books. I will read the review and comment later, and if I can find a copy of either books, will try to read it. Thanks for the post. :appl:

P.S. Love the picture.
Last edited by Cattleman on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
christ85
Official Newbie!

Unread post

yeah, it a really great book. I read it like year ago and until now I still be impressed :D.

Return to “Science & Technology”