Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Alien life finally discovered! 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Alien life finally discovered!
Maybe..;

http://news.sky.com/story/1143906/alien ... atmosphere

from the article;

"If life does continue to arrive from space then we have to completely change our view of biology and evolution," Prof Wainwright added. "New textbooks will have to be written."

Just how much it would change our theories of biology and evolution would more than likely be totally unknowable

Last edited by ant on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:41 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Post Re: Alien life finally discovered!
That's fun stuff. I hope we find that life can exist in space, but I wonder why they're so sure it couldn't have been from Earth's surface.

"Our conclusion then is that life is continually arriving to Earth from space, life is not restricted to this planet and it almost certainly did not originate here."

How can they conclude it most certainly didn't originate here? As if transpermia is the only possible conclusion after what they've found. I think their peers need to slap them around a bit.

The following user would like to thank Interbane for this post:
Chris OConnor, johnson1010
Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:01 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

i agree thats too conclusive far too early into this.

I think its highly likely life here was seeded.
it only pushes our questions about origins further out of our reach.

the cosmos may be just to vast for us.
we are stranded on a little island.

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:09 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Has memorized The Illiad

Quote:
"Our conclusion then is that life is continually arriving to Earth from space, life is not restricted to this planet and it almost certainly did not originate here."

I think someone just set a new record for scientific conclusion jumping. :o Instead of postulating extra-terrestrial origin of life theories, the scientists should be running extensive tests on the samples, and comparing their DNA with known Earth organisms. :? If they turn out to be truly alien, that would be a remarkable discovery. :o However, I do not believe it would prove the latter part of the above quote. On the other hand, if the 'new' organisms prove to be identical (or very similar) to known Earth life forms, the more likely explanation is that they are native to our home world.

I will await further developments with interest. :wink:

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

The following user would like to thank Cattleman for this post:
ant, Chris OConnor, johnson1010
Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:31 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

Maybe this microorganism they found was carried by the balloon before it went up or it could have been picked up while the balloon was rising. I would bet on earthly contamination before I would conclude that this was a bug from outer space.
I do agree with Cattleman that they need to do a DNA analysis to prove that it is an unknown earthly life form.

The following user would like to thank bionov for this post:
ant, Chris OConnor
Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:43 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

This is generally the problem with science news reporting. There's very little to go on here, but the conclusion seems to not be supported by the evidence. Who's jumping to conclusions here? The scientist or the reporter?

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
Chris OConnor
Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Gold Contributor

yes i agree with you.
sounds like bad reporting and reckless speculation.
but im with Interbane here. its fun to imagine here, mostly.
thats mainly why i posted this.

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:13 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Don't know if the news is right or wrong but we all book lovers enjoying reading books about aliens and their time travel which makes us believe that alien exist. Few books like A CASE OF CONSCIENCE , WAY STATION , THIS IMMORTAL , THE GODS THEMSELVES , THE FOREVER WAR helps us to realize science fiction and its existence.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:56 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

yeah, these guys have a lot of research to do before they claim it's alien life. They said it probably has DNA... which means they haven't successfully looked at a strand of DNA from these samples, so they don't know what it is yet except that they found it high in the air.

We don't typically spend a whole lot of time up there, so i'm betting there is a TON that we don't know about what's possible up there and it is pretty reckless to assert alien origin.

These may be just some new variant of extremophile.

Well, they will take it back a notch after the peer review gut-punch comes through.

For the speculation part:

Now if there were life just floating around in empty space, that would be way awesome!

That would mean life's extremophile edges are far more robust than we had imagined (if they are actually living in space), and plants the kernal that there might even proabably be life on EVERY planet with suitable conditions. It might just waft in from space.

I know it has been observed that there are vast clouds of organic compounds in space, but those are chemicals that can be constructed without biology. Finding actual cells floating around in space would be another thing.

Another thing, how long do you think we should wait before we try to terraform mars?

How much digging, how much research, how many years after we actually get there do we have to wait before we introduce earth-native extremophiles to mars?

I am of the opinion that we need to seed life wherever it might take root. IF mars is dead, but COULD harbor some life, i think it's our duty to make sure we put it there.

what do you think?

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:38 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

and the trampling begins...

http://www.blastr.com/2013-9-20/astrono ... red-aliens

man, i hope these guys who "concluded" they found alien life have got career alternatives lined up, because i think they have put their heads on the chopping block with this one.

You don't want a guy like this working at CERN, yapping to the press that you've proven that string theory is correct, when it's nothing but his fondest dreams of what he HOPES to prove...

Sorry, we aren't hiring...

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
ant, Chris OConnor
Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:15 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Quote:
Well, they will take it back a notch after the peer review gut-punch comes through.

LOL So so true.

Scientists are like all humans in that they want to be important, valued and to make a contribution. because of these desires they are prone to errors, biases and jumping to conclusions.

The scientific process is so effective because it gives scientists the means to be important, valued and to make a difference simply by showing that the other guys attempt to be be important, valued and to make a difference is based on bad science. You can make a name for yourself by introducing new stuff or invalidating the new stuff your colleagues introduce.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:42 am
Profile Email WWW
Tenured Professor

there was a great example of this just a while back, too.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... ement.html

This kid made all kinds of waves by doing just that!

If you can't be Newton, the second best thing is to show where Newton was wrong!

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Gold Contributor

There's been a lot of on and off chatter over the years about the possibility of some form of micro life buried on Mars.
And now with the news of the Mars probe exploration in progress there's more talk about committing to a manned exploration of the planet. Theyre even taking names of volunteers.

There's also virtually never any talk about the huge risks involved that are essentially unavoidable, in particular, the psychological stresses that any team would endure no matter how ready we think we are:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/head ... psychology

After reading that piece it really got me thinking:
With all due reapect for the admirable pioneering spirit of Mankind, is it really worth it?
From everything we know so far, Mars is just a dead rock. We even are discovering things about it that form the moment are the opposite of what we once thought:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3956626

Methane was thought to perhaps harbor some form of primitive life and now theres zero signs of it

risking human life just to say "we did it" for no reason orher than bragging rights seems foolish at this point.

I say we upgrade our Rovers more before we gamble on a trip to Mars where god knows how deep we need to dig in red dirt to find something that looks like it might be life.

A trip to Europa (which aint going to happen in our life time) might be a far better gamble.
But if we are getting methane claims about Mars wrong, what might we be wrong about a rock that millions of miles farther?
Ugh!

Last edited by ant on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:37 pm
Profile Email
Tenured Professor

i was interested to see that they found the soil on mars is 2% water by volume.

If nothing else, Mars could become a very convenient staging point for further exploration, with a ready supply of water on the surface. (well, it would take some work to extract the water, but it's better than having to carry it with you to mars!)

As to the risks involved, yeah...

I don't think i would be able to do it. A trip to mars seems to me almost certainly a one way trip. But people do and have risked their lives for much more fleeting, and sillier reasons.

Think now how kids jump their bikes, skate boards, and just themselves over death-defying drops just for the thrill, or bragging rights, or to get a couple upvotes on reddit.

People who risk their lives climbing mountains, base jumping, spelunking... there is fundamentally nothing to be gained by taking these risks, but people do them anyway.

What about the early explorers, before there was any kind of certainty of a life on another continent, setting off across the ocean on the vague prospect of success, but certain obstacles of hardship.

A trip to mars is like those old voyages across oceans, but with a better idea what will be waiting on the other side.

The first people to make a go of it on Mars will truly live forever. As long as humans can remember them, at any rate. The draw of exploring the unknown might be reason enough by itself for some. Add in the fame, and the possibility of really discovering something over there that nobody has ever seen before and i think there will be plenty of people willing to sign on, even with little prospect of a return flight.

I hope they get it worked out as a round trip though. At least the people who sailed acorss the ocean could reasonably expect to find air to breathe, wherever they went!

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:37 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.