• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Vegasaurus vs. Meatasaurus? Discuss...

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Vegasaurus vs. Meatasaurus? Discuss...

Unread post

What are your opinions of the vegetarian diet? Is it healthier than eating meat? Are there pros and cons of both?My opinion is that our species evolved consuming both plants and animals and is obviously what our bodies naturally crave and need. Sure, a person can lead a happy and healthy vegetarian lifestyle, but is it more happy and healthy than the meat-eating lifestyle? And I'm not referring to that segment of the meat-eating population that eats too much cholesterol via red meat and eggs and saturated fat. Please compare vegetarians to people that eat chicken, fish, and other healthier meats primarily, and then have some red meat on occasion.Chris
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Vegasaurus vs. Meatasaurus? Discuss...

Unread post

Is it true that vegetarians typically live longer than meatasauruses?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm going to post links as I find them.Vegetarian Diet May be Healthy For Teens
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I've yet to read the following link, but I'm going to have to trust what they say. I don't want to catch myself committing the confirmation bias, so I'll approach the article with an open mind.Chris
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

4 Kids and my wife are vegetarians. The kids do eat milk and cheese, so they are not vehan.My kids are the among the healthiest (ie: most friends are fat), kindest (most friends are obnoxius) and smartest (especially my one daughter...she was reading chapter books BEFORE entering kindergarden) in town. I am proud of that.Vegetarianism is very good. I was a vegetarian at one time, 2 years...I have not felt as healthy as I did at that time.I have read/heard that humans were originally vegetarian and that we adapted carnivorous behavior. I dont know if that is true...so I am simply stating this at this time.Maybe meat eating would not be so bad if we as a society did not pump animals with hormones and antibiotics! And some people shun Organic farming and production like it taints the food somehow (I have heard this from a few people).Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

NickThanks for posting on this topic. Recently I was in a discussion with a few vegetarians and I took the position that the vegetarian diet is no more healthy than an omnivorous diet. I used evolution as the foundation.I'm trying to figure out if I'm full of shit. Any additional information you have would be appreciated. Hearing you say that you felt better on the veggie diet tells me something. Sounds like you aren't a vegasaurus right now. What lead you away from it if it caused you to feel so good?Quote:I have read/heard that humans were originally vegetarian and that we adapted carnivorous behavior. I dont know if that is true...so I am simply stating this at this time.This is something I'd love to explore further. A time scale would be helpful. When were we herbivores? Does anyone reading this have any information about our early diet?Chris
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

From the first link:Quote:Vegetarians live longer and become sick less often.I would be interested in knowing where this bit of information comes from. I didn't find any sources for it on the page. In particular, I would like to know if vegetarians as a group were compared against non-vegetarians as a group. I think this would produce an inaccurate result. I would venture to say that most vegetarians more consciously eat healthy, and perhaps even live other aspects of their lives in a more health conscious way, which would result in less sickness that is not necessarily because of the vegetarian diet. Also, if you compare a vegetarian to a meat and potatoes diet, of course the vegetarian is going to be healthier. Eating meat as the main part of one's subsistence with lots of starchy things like bread and potatoes being the next major part of one's diet, with maybe some canned corn or canned peas as a small side dish is not a healthy diet. If you compare someone who eats like that with someone who eats lots of fresh vegetables as the main course, of course the person eating more vegetables is going to be healthier.I don't think that a vegetarian diet is more healthy than a diet that consists of a base of fruits and vegetables (preferably raw) that includes meat. Not meat as a main part of the diet, but as more of a side dish or accent. But don't take my word for it; I freely admit that I have no interest in becoming a vegetarian because I love meat. Also, my mother is a cattle rancher. But do believe me when I say that most of the meat eater's diets in the U.S. are horrible. Too much meat is unhealthy. Part of the problem is that the federal guidelines for how we should eat is wrong. Vegetables and fruits should be the base layer of our diet, not breads. A huge problem in American diets is also because the more foods are processed, the less nutritional value they have. Unfortunately, processed foods are so much more convenient. White bread doesn't do your body any good. Pasta also loses a lot of it's nutritional value when it's made. Whole grain products are better, but I would not be able to tell you how much nutrition you are actually getting from them normal store bought whole grain bread or pasta. Cooking vegetables also sucks nutrients out of them. It is better to eat them raw or steamed if raw is too crunchy for you. Have you ever looked at the nutrition label on a can of vegetables? There is hardly any nutrients in them.Taking supplements might do some good, I don't know enough to say whether they are or aren't worth taking, but your body does not absorb even close to most of what the package says is in there. I have been told that cheap brands of vitamins don't even get broken down by the body, they just remain a lump of unusable nutrients. The first site you listed did touch on this. I don't know how accurate the description was of how it works, but it is true that the way nutrients are packaged in natural food is the best way that our bodies can absorb the nutrients. On a side note of that, our bodies also are not very good at absorbing calcium from milk. Have you noticed the change in milk advertising in the last ten or so years? They used to say milk does a body good. Now they just say "Got Milk?" This is because milk is not as good for you as they want you to think it is and they got sued. I couldn't find anything specifically on the lawsuit, but here are a couple of articles on milk:milk linkyummy milkmore milkThe milk industries ability to get milk recommended is a good example of why the U.S. federal recommendations for how we should eat are so messed up. The milk industry spent enough money to get their own food group. It has now changed to a food pyramid, but they still have a pretty prominent place in the stack. If one spends any time researching nutrition, it is pretty obvious that what the government recommends is not the best way to eat, but the food pyramid is taught in schools, and how many of those students do you think are interested in actually doing any more research outside of school? The good news is that there are people pushing for change.I was completely unimpressed with the first link's addressing of protein. Anyone who is looking into becoming a vegetarian needs to research what they need to do in order to get all 8 of the amino acids. Anything I have ever read does not agree that vegetarians can just eat whatever and their amino acids will take care of themselves, as well as my health class professor who is a vegetarian. She might be wrong, and I might have simply never read any correct information, but I would never become a vegetarian so I'm not going to look it up myself.And don't think that I actually follow my own advice. I used to eat McDonald's almost everyday. I would live on pizza alone if I could get my husband to agree to it. And now that I live close to my mom I get awesome range fed beef, and just a sliver to decorate my broccoli is not enough. And just hearing the word bacon puts me in a trance....mmmmm, bacon........
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quote:Sounds like you aren't a vegasaurus right now. What lead you away from it if it caused you to feel so good?I tend to do things that are bad for me! Like smoking...I just f'n like it...BUT...I have quit smoking recently (about 1+ months).I grew up on meat and love a good steak. Simply, I just like it. I am not like most humans who try to do anything to extend their lives by a year or so...I want to enjoy myself. So if I die at 71 and had a t-bone every so often, followed by a smoke...whereas I would have lived to 74 without em...I say medium rare and gimme a light!!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

scrumfishI too would be interested in knowing where this information comes from!Quote:I would venture to say that most vegetarians more consciously eat healthy, and perhaps even live other aspects of their lives in a more health conscious way, which would result in less sickness that is not necessarily because of the vegetarian diet.Excellent point. This is the problem with statistics. They can be made to show anything you want. Correlation doesn't imply causation.I agree with every word you typed. Meat as a side dish or special treat is the way we evolved. Animals were killed and consumed periodically - not every single day. For hundreds of thousands of years we had no means of preserving meats, so meat wasn't included in every meal. Our diets consisted primarily of nuts, berries, fruits and vegetables. We gathered everyday and hunted sporadically.I had never heard anything about milk being shown to not be as healthy as once believed. Any additional info on that topic would be appreciated, but don't worry if you're not interested in the topic. The "Got Milk" campaign is definitely a different approach to marketing milk.And your point about the dairy industry sneaking onto the food pyramid is very true. Check out the very bottom small print on the next food pyramid chart you see. The dairy industry created the damn chart!!! They've got quite a scam going I'd say.And here is how I know milk isn't a normal part of the human diet. Close your eyes and imagine how we, as a species, incorporated dairy products into our diets back in paleolithic times. Not an easy task is it? Did we run out into a field, flop down below a wild cow, and then start sucking milk directly from its udders?For the majority of our species history we were wanderers. We wandered from place to place and gathered food from the lands. Periodically we used a manmade weapon to take down an animal. But primarily we wandered about eating off the land. Yes, domesticated plants and animals came about later, but in the big scheme of things, this was a recent change.I think the milk industry is full of shit. Milk is NOT a food group. Cheese is not required or even remotely in our best interest. Absolute propaganda.What we require are vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and some meat here and there. I think I've heard this called the "Cave Man" diet, and it makes sense. I don't advocate doing such a diet strictly as civilization has brought much good along with the bad. Personally, I choose to eat tasty foods, even if processed, once in awhile. But the staple of our diets should be what I've mentioned above.Chris
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Cows milk is for baby cows...human milk is for baby humans. That is the jist of it. That is how we know it was not meant for human consumption.Yet breastfeeding is taboo in our civilized world...go figure!Maybe we should put lactating women on an assembly style line and suck milk out of them and market that...it would be more natural and healthier for us! All my kids were breast fed and I think that has much to do with how healthy they have been. But that is another topic.Another question: Are apes and orangutans meat eaters? This would help in deciding if humans were, for we are kin with these beings.If you look at our phisiology, what traits do we REALLY share with true predators? If we are not predators and yet still were made to eat meat...are we scavengers? Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “Science & Technology”