• In total there are 39 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Utopianism, is it possible?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Canuak99
Getting Comfortable

Utopianism, is it possible?

Unread post

The question is, is it possible to put our differences aside and work together to build a world on peace and love. Will we ever be able to demolish all national boarders and create a world of one. A world under the concept of Utopianism, like Star Trek? I know a lot of people say it's just a pipe dream but in fact I believe it could be possible. What do you fine folks think?
Rajesh
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Utopianism, is it possible?

Unread post

Yeah....After the extinction of human species.. :)
“Her blood is settled, and her joints are stiff;
Life and these lips have long been separated:
Death lies on her like an untimely frost
Upon the sweetest flower of all the field.”
Carlotta Melzi
Master Debater

Unread post

Every time we tried to build a utopia, we got a dystopia.
So forget it, please!
A sensual woman enjoys tasty, spicy foods as she enjoys tasting voluptuous male bodies.
A Dinner in Bellagio by Carlotta Melzi d'Este
Canuak99
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Nah, I'm not the forgetting type. It's against human nature to stay in place. It's coded in our very being to continue to move forward for the greater good.
Carlotta Melzi
Master Debater

Unread post

How old are you, Canuak99?
I saw my world, my hopes in the future collapse 30 years ago.
We were working for an utopian future, but we discovered people prefer watching TV.
A sensual woman enjoys tasty, spicy foods as she enjoys tasting voluptuous male bodies.
Rajesh
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

To move forward for the greater good or not..
It's against human nature to stay in place.. :)
Rajesh
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

@Carlotta I love this line.. :)

"A sensual woman enjoys tasty, spicy foods as she enjoys tasting voluptuous male bodies."
Canuak99
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

How old do you think I am? I'm not a child but that of an educated man. I'm from the United States and saw first hand how everything can be quickly taken away. The world of old in Europe that was supposedly attempting to create a Utopian Society was forged by corruption and greed, power corrupts. That's why Eastern Europe during the Cold War was a failure from the beginning. Once you take away the human element to be dominate then and only then will a Utopian Society be built. Never compare The Soviet Union to a nation attempting to build a Utopian society. For as long as someone was in charge it was never going to happen.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, a utopia is possible of course.

But note that it would be the collective opinion. How do you truly please everyone? It could only happen in a post-productive society where fabricators and assembly bots create while SI's or AI's design. Humans would be a sort of communistic overlord to machines.

Yet even then, overindulgence can be dystopic. Too much of a drug leads to dependence and tolerance, and the world around becomes faded and jaded no matter how perfect it is. The drug can be chemical or video game or sex. My point is that we'd also need to be able to tinker with our genetics. Not put a cheat code into our risk/reward system persay, but at least tune it to the modern world so it's not short-circuited everytime we play a game or eat a donut.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

I'd have to be reactionary and go with the literal translation of Sir Thomas More's Utopia as no place. As interbane said, human beings have diverse ideas on what is ideal, and there would be no satisfying them all. There would have to be some kind of radical leveling of humanity in order for a utopia to gain ascendency. I think the leveling could be dehumanizing.

Return to “Current Events & History”