• In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Understanding Latin American Culture

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
orion3
Official Newbie!

Understanding Latin American Culture

Unread post

Hello,

Can you share a list of books that best define Latin Culture? Its for my boyfriend, he has little info/understanding of my culture.

It could also be a novel that reflex the way Latin American people behave, think, feel , etc

Thanks. I wish you a wonderful new year filled with abundance, joy, and treasured moments. May 2014 be your best year yet
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Understanding Latin American Culture

Unread post

Have him read 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. If he's white he's likely not to understand the way that latins generally view family as their life and how family usually causes the most tumult in it. Whites generally disassociate themselves with family and don't understand how latins operate because there is a significant detachment from family. Latins exist in a family while caucasians exist when they break free from it. A latin person's destiny usually is tied with their family. If a caucasian's destiny is then they're considered something either evil or wantonly charitable. Latins are relatively hot blooded, prone to destructive romance, and the like... The book has it all.
Last edited by President Camacho on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orion3
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thank you very much. I think thats a great recommendation as 100 Years of Solitude is one of my favorite books of all times. :)
VMLM
Experienced

Unread post

One of my favorite peruvian novels of all time is La Tía Julia y el Escribidor.
Mario Vargas Llosa is generally more cynical in his appreciation of south american culture and history, but this particular book is very relaxed. It feels like Mario is sitting across from you, drinking a cup of coffee while he tells you about the affair he once had with his "aunt".
Here, just like in Gabriel García Marquez the family is important, but in another way. In the book the protagonist is shunned by his relatives and their friends due to his unorthodox love affair, and gossip of his incestuous relationship spreads like wildfire around the neighborhood. His family is far too conservative to call him out, so the situation stretches out uncomfortably, even as Mario and his aunt are shunned for their "bad behavior".
To me this is a good insight into how conservative and judgemental a latin american family can be. How they will act concerned and try to talk you out of things they feel aren't acceptable, while at the same time trying not to offend you. It also exposes one of the truisms of latin american families: You can be sure that anything eccentric that you do or say will spread like wildfire within the family, but no one outside of it will ever know because your mother would die of shame if anybody found out.
But the novel goes beyond simply that. At its heart it is hopelessly romantic, casually familiar and matter-of-fatct-ly humorous and pessimistic about everything. And these, I think, are decidedly latin american characteristics.

Another great series of books is Julio Ramón Ribeyro's . La Palabra del Mudo. This is a collection of short stories from the view points of stereotypical (and sometimes not so stereotypical), but very human, peruvian characters. If anyone really wants to find out how the different people that you see walking down the streets of Lima live and think. What concerns them and what motivates them. This is probably the book to read.
Last edited by VMLM on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Everything Else”