• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Trump Watch

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Trump Watch

Unread post

I'd prefer to see a longer time sample. Did he continue to have this problem or did he right himself?

Please try for more symmetry in assessing the candidates' and parties' denunciation of violence. Don't we need to see our president forcefully damning the right for its violence and agitation? He's had almost 4 years to do that. Cheering on the militia group heading to Portland as great patriots?
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

ant wrote:And on what planet would these violent thugs vote for anyone on the right? Highly likely they would indeed vote left.
Arsonists and looters in todays USA clearly have Social Darwinist tendencies, not unlike todays Libertarians.

Today’s Libertarian is a Social Darwinist and many of them cloak themselves in mundane ideas of being ‘independents ’, Thugs are independents .
It stands to reason that looters, arsonists, libertarians, neo-conservatives all have Social Darwinism as a bonding principle.
The planet Earth is of course the planet these violent Social Darwinist thugs will be voting on. In particular they will be voting in America and the chances are that they will be voting for PSfB. That is if as I said “they actually vote’.

Revolution, abolishing a political party or even parties, That is not being an ‘independent’ , That’s a tyranny, is that what is wanted?, I would fight hard against that wouldn’t you?.

All against all is that what is wanted?. PSfB and his little thug the Kenosha gun-toter, it seems that is what they thought they might want, how has that worked out?. I expressed before that there is an attitude that says ‘leave a few of them laying around and this bullshit will stop’. Mark my words because that sentiment is in the brains of enough right wingers that theirs is the greater threat. It’s foolish to think otherwise.

But old Joe, he’s the threat...the bullshit gets thicker and thicker.

PSfB is/has broken America, he is figuratively the straw that cracked this countries back.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:When you rig the primaries that's enough.
It’s ironic that you claim Russian meddling is a conspiracy theory(it’s not), then go on to spout an actual conspiracy theory yourself. If you were right that the primaries were rigged, it would be very serious, and very corrupt. But it simply didn’t happen. You’re spouting lies that come straight from the mouth of Trump. Fake news. Show evidence.
When you push forward a senior with clear indications of cognitive decline it's enough
That’s what you consider corruption? Explain.
When your Speaker responds to the question of lawless rioting by saying " people will do what they do" and not come close to denouncing it, it's enough.
Are you implying that her comment is "enough” to be labeled as corruption? A cherry picked comment?!?

The Democrats have and continue to condemn the violence. Stop spreading fake news.

Meanwhile, Trump praised the 17 year old that knowingly ventured into a protest site with a loaded gun. On what planet do your comments make sense in light of this?
When you push Russian conspiracy theories for months and months without clear and convincing evidence, it's enough.
There’s more than enough evidence. Trump campaign staffers meeting with Russian diplomats days before Russians hacked the DNC servers, meanwhile Trump calls on Russia to investigate missing emails. Then some staffers are convicted and sent to prison for lying to the FBI about Russian collusion. And what do you know, Trump commutes one of their prison sentences.

This is a necker cube. It’s actual corruption that you’re labeling as a conspiracy theory.

Here’s a link to the report detailing Trump’s corruption, released 2 weeks ago: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18/politics ... index.html

And when you get otherwise sane people to buy your garbage about conspiracy theories, it's more than enough.
Look in the mirror.

Again, Trump's corruption is a mountain compared to the molehill of Democrats.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Well, Trump did something absolutely right, and I am happy to mention it. By having the CDC continue the moratorium on evictions, he not only prevented thousands of Covid deaths, but he bought time for a compromise to use Federal money to stave off financial ruin for tens or hundreds of thousands.

He may have seen it as just political maneuvering. I don't care. It may be how he thinks populism is supposed to work. If so, maybe he will get the health care bug next. Or start doing something for schools and state government budgets.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Today we learned that a report on the intelligence finding of Russian interference in this election, 2020, was withdrawn. Even though the intel community has "high confidence" that Russian trolls are spreading disinformation about Biden's health, including mental health, the report is not to be published. Why? "It was poorly written." (Insufficiently on message, one presumes). And yet low confidence results about radical agitators in Portland were published.

Does this pattern disturb you as much as it disturbs me? Anybody remember those Weapons of Mass Destruction that Saddam Hussein was threatening us with?
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:In a couple of months our election will choose.

In that time, the unemployment rate will rise again. The signs are too strong to ignore - bankruptcies, evictions, the tide of consumer demand turning downward again. It will not be a huge increase like 2008-9 (certainly not like March and April) since some forces are pushing the economy upward. But it will happen, and desperation will increase with it. And I think the election may very much hinge on whether the desperation creates more violence among the frustrated marginal workers who are laid off and kicked out of their homes, or more wake-up call to those who are watching denialism blow up common sense.
Forecasters are expecting a fall in the unemployment rate. Maybe they have access to info I don't. On the other hand, they predicted a fall for today's new unemployment claims numbers, and instead the numbers went up slightly. The thing is, the forecasts go heavily by "flash" reports, mostly through the Federal Reserve Banks, that rely on calls or automatic reports from larger businesses. So, sure, larger businesses are mostly well on the way to recovery (though not department store chains and maybe not airlines), but the carnage is mainly among small businesses, especially in the hospitality industry - hotels, bars, restaurants, etc. They are the ones who got inadequate help in the first bailout round, and have more trouble getting a bank to spot them the funds.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:Today we learned that a report on the intelligence finding of Russian interference in this election, 2020, was withdrawn. Even though the intel community has "high confidence" that Russian trolls are spreading disinformation about Biden's health, including mental health, the report is not to be published. Why? "It was poorly written." (Insufficiently on message, one presumes). And yet low confidence results about radical agitators in Portland were published.

Does this pattern disturb you as much as it disturbs me? Anybody remember those Weapons of Mass Destruction that Saddam Hussein was threatening us with?
For a similar reason, the daily intelligence briefing will not be given orally to the president, according to John Ratliffe, the new Director of National Intelligence (Orwellian overtones). So now, the president doesn't have to listen to anything about what Russia is doing to interfere in our affairs. But he will still be given the brief in its written form, so no worries--the pres is a famous reader.

I was, it's fair to say, dumbfounded to realize that Trump is leading the way for Russia to add its own disinformation on the legitimacy of mail-in voting. Russia is amplifying Trump's false statements about massive, fraudulent mail-in votes. Making Russia's job so much easier. Spasiba, Donald Trump!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:When you rig the primaries that's enough.

When you push forward a senior with clear indications of cognitive decline it's enough

When your Speaker responds to the question of lawless rioting by saying " people will do what they do" and not come close to denouncing it, it's enough.

When you push Russian conspiracy theories for months and months without clear and convincing evidence, it's enough.

And when you get otherwise sane people to buy your garbage about conspiracy theories, it's more than enough.
Most of these assertions are just more troll bait and don't really deserve any attention. But the sentence (in bold) is especially absurd. There's no question that Russia tried to interfere in the 2016 election in order to help get Trump elected and that Trump's campaign welcomed that assistance. Trump’s campaign advisers worked with the Russians to release damaging information, even going so far as sharing polling data with Russian intelligence officers. Trump, Cohen, Trump Jr., Manafort, Kushner, and others had several contacts with Russian intelligence in the months leading to the 2016 election. This has been corroborated by Mueller's investigation and more recently a bipartisan Senate panel. To say that these are "Russian conspiracy theories" not based in evidence and fact is sheer nonsense. As the New York Times reported: "The report is an exhaustive look at the various ways that the Kremlin’s intelligence services exploited ties to the Trump campaign to help carry out a stealth attack on American democracy."

I'm aghast that some Americans persist in believing that the Russian interference is a "conspiracy" or "witch hunt" despite the mountains of evidence that show otherwise. At best, you can make the case that Donald Trump and the idiots he surrounds himself with were ignorant about the inappropriateness and illegality of working with a hostile foreign power, but whether you call this "collusion" or just "cooperation" seems to me a disingenuous distinction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/us/p ... eport.html
-Geo
Question everything
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Trump denies "vehemently" that he privately called war dead "losers". Astonishingly, no one believes him. Why? Well, there was the public comment about John McCain. And about the gold star family. And the general way bullies behave. And the bone spurs. Dear Leader has no concept of patriotism, or sacrifice, or doing things for others, or even doing things for the general good. This is a man who stole from his charity.

The Republicans are trying to spin him as a "bodyguard" for their values. If I had a bodyguard who was only interested in what was in it for himself, I would worry for my life. I would fire him as soon as possible.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

We also learned today that the rot is seriously setting in around the party. Steve Scalise, R LA, shared a video clip that he or his staff had doctored to make it sound like Biden wanted to decrease funding for the police, when in fact Biden has opposed the idea and proposed a $300 million increase in funding for police departments, as Bill Clinton had done in the 90s.

Project Veritas pioneered this sort of clever strategic editing with their supposed "sting" projects. And the fact that so many people still believe those lies, because they want to believe them, tells you exactly what Scalise was thinking. Wouldn't he know he would get caught? Wink, wink. Maybe so.

Return to “Current Events & History”