Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:04 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Trump Watch 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Re: Trump Watch
Quote:
We also learned that Donald, Jr has tweeted the insinuation that Biden is a pedophile. Straight out of Mississippi politics. If you can't argue the facts and you can't argue the law, you can still give motivated reasoners an excuse to claim they are on the side of good.

Way too many videos that have been circulating for a few years now of Biden's hands inappropriately handling females. In particular, under-aged girls. They are easy to find, but apparently more easy for liberals to ignore.

Any man that put his hands on my daughter (or wife) the way Joe Biden h does would have his ass handed to him. His political affiliation would not be enough for me to excuse his behavior.

Ironically, this seems similar to the religious looking the other way when their priests take advantage of their power and influence in the most foul manner possible.
In this case, Biden is a priest like figure who represents a political religion that gives hope to his flock. And we all know how politics can become a substitute for religion, when said religion has been watered down so much it's become dry.

His behavior around minors is just too bizarre.

The real question here is who in their right mind would not find Joe Biden's behavior creepy?

Who would have thought liberals would be willing to argue for a man like this under the guise of arguing against his opponent?

Last edited by ant on Sun May 17, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 17, 2020 10:26 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nutty for Books

ant wrote:
Quote:
We also learned that Donald, Jr has tweeted the insinuation that Biden is a pedophile. Straight out of Mississippi politics. If you can't argue the facts and you can't argue the law, you can still give motivated reasoners an excuse to claim they are on the side of good.

Way too many videos that have been circulating for a few years now of Biden's hands inappropriately handling females. In particular, under-aged girls. They are easy to find, but apparently more easy for liberals to ignore.
The pics and videos being circulated on the right are normal politician baby-kissing and child-blessing. How do I know this? I don't, but I know how the right wing extremists are behaving, and I read it from a credible source, so I believe it.

I do think Biden's hair-sniffing and shoulder-handling is creepy. I would rather that the Dems had united around someone squeaky clean like Obama. But I also know that it would make no difference: the right wing would accuse Liz Warren of pedophilia.

Quote:
His behavior around minors is just too bizarre.
I sincerely doubt it. I also doubt the insinuations that Trump raped underage girls, since his obvious deep pockets and high profile made him an easy target for gold-diggers of whatever variety.

Quote:
Who would have thought liberals would be willing to argue for a man like this under the guise of arguing against his opponent?
You are really wedded to this narrative. If I were a Trump supporter I suppose I would be too. But the man and his movement are not just populist, they are also authoritarian, deeply dishonest (most notably to their populist supporters) and unscrupulous. So I know very firmly who I am against.

Sun May 17, 2020 10:56 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Quote:
The pics and videos being circulated on the right are normal politician baby-kissing and child-blessing

Unbelievable.

Translation:

The right is circulating the videos, therefore Biden's behavior in them must be normal toward children.
How do I know this? I don't - but it's the right that's circulating the videos.

Truly a remarkable justification of the deviant and very public psycho-sexual behavior by a public figure running for the highest office in the land.

Not surprising though. It's a slippery slope:
Dismiss Tara Reade's sexual assault accusations, despite Biden himself previously asking people NOT to dismiss these types of courageous outings of powerful men, and it leads to looking the other way when children are being literally fondled on camera.

If a priest put his hands on children the way Biden does and it happened to be televised there would be a national uproar.
But Biden is running against Trump so it's just grandfatherly, old politician behavior. Even Pelosi is on record as saying Biden needs to keep his distance. And despite that, his perverse behavior continued. Biden's senility issues are almost a complete afterthought now!

I fear for our country when evil and immoral behavior can be dismissed so easily for the sake of political ideology.

The forked tongue of doublespeak is more prevalent than ever.

Sun May 17, 2020 12:55 pm
Profile Email
Nutty for Books

ant wrote:
Quote:
The pics and videos being circulated on the right are normal politician baby-kissing and child-blessing

Unbelievable.

Got any evidence? Or just the kind of creatively modified stuff KindaSkolarly has a seemingly endless supply of.

Sun May 17, 2020 3:45 pm
Profile Email
Nutty for Books

ant wrote:
OPEDS are NOT fact checks.

ant wrote:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... ponse.html

Good thing the cited "please note my unbiased source" is not an Op-Ed piece, then. According to RCP it is a "commentary," from

Quote:
Kayla Gowdy is the social media and rapid response director for America First Action PAC.

Way better than an Op-Ed.

Sun May 17, 2020 4:18 pm
Profile Email
Nutty for Books

Today William Barr said "As long as I'm attorney general, the criminal justice system will not be used for partisan political ends."

It wasn't only the involuntary snort this elicited that reminded me of Miss Piggy. "Moi? Moi?" Jamais! Vraiment!

Once or twice now Barr has asked us to believe that he would never (Never!) do anything biased and for politics. The problem is that this appeals as a hope he is reforming. But since he does not admit what he has already done exactly of that nature, we are left with no reason to take him seriously. How can someone reform if they don't admit that their crimes are wrong?

Of course, some people will believe him, that he would never do such a thing. But to do so, they have to ignore the blatant misrepresentations he has already made, and the obvious overriding of concerns for impartial pursuit of justice, most notable recently in the cases of Roger Stone and Michael Flynn. Face it, we are talking about an attorney general whose concerns for justice do not extend as far as excluding Rudy Giuliani from trying to scrape up dirt in Ukraine that might be used against the President's likely opponent, or for that matter to taking the President's attempted extortion of Ukraine at face value. He helped with the coverup, and when he should have investigated the criminal actions himself, he instead tried to prevent the House of Representatives from getting the truth about it.

"As long as I'm attorney general, the criminal justice system will not be used for partisan political ends." You got to admit, the man can keep a straight face.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
DWill
Mon May 18, 2020 3:38 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Maybe he has some sort of deal with Trump, whereby Trump agrees to let him posture as impartial justice once in a while, in exchange for certain favors?

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Harry Marks
Mon May 18, 2020 10:07 pm

Gold Contributor

DWill wrote:
Maybe he has some sort of deal with Trump, whereby Trump agrees to let him posture as impartial justice once in a while, in exchange for certain favors?

This type of open suspicion has run rickshaw during Trump's tenure.
Asking for evidence when one is made is fair game.

Evidence?

Last edited by ant on Mon May 18, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 18, 2020 10:11 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

ant wrote:
DWill wrote:

This type of open suspicion has run rickshaw during Trump's tenure.
Asking for evidence when one is made is fair game.

Evidence?

It's not a serious theory, ant. More in the spirit of "almost as if." I thought that would be understood.

PS--Just read about T. using hydroxychloroquine. I wish he wouldn't for the sake of him and his family.

Last edited by DWill on Tue May 19, 2020 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank DWill for this post:
Harry Marks
Tue May 19, 2020 5:30 am
Nutty for Books

Today's news told us how investigating the legality of an emergency declaration, used to excuse prohibited sales of arms to the Saudis despite their abuse of our arms against civilians and other misbehavior, may have been a reason Linick was fired. May even have been the real reason. It seems the "emergency" was that MBS and the Saudis were considering buying from the Russians or the Chinese. After the announcement of the emergency, representatives wanted to know why it had not been included in their briefing by the State Department 3 days before.

Linick issued a scathing report on Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server. But holding both sides accountable is not good enough for this Administration. Only one side deserves to be held accountable.

And yesterday (Monday) Trump threatened to completely de-fund the World Health Organization. Because Bill Gates is doing such a good job without them? Nah. Because they, (wait for it,) praised and excused China early in the pandemic. Exactly what he did, in other words. Your speculation is as good as mine whether this is complete projection or just intentional deflection.

To state the obvious, FEMA has been combatting Covid, as has the CDC. Trump's stated refusal of responsibility does not stop the rest of the government from doing its job. But his lack of curiosity about setting strategy does make a person wonder. Is it too technical? ("We have people who take care of that.") Not enough opportunity for politically productive posturing? Potential for being held accountable for actual decisions? I confess myself baffled, since none of these really seems to fit. I mean, he is okay with letting the government do its job on most things. Why is he jumping around, waving his arms and shouting and pointing fingers, over this?

I sort of agree with Trump that the high case numbers in the U.S. are due in part to high levels of testing (though testing and tracing are still not up to the task). But did he really need to call the high death toll a "badge of honor"? "Let's get back to normal" is looking like a better and better slogan for Biden.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
DWill, Robert Tulip
Tue May 19, 2020 9:02 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Harry Marks wrote:
did he really need to call the high death toll a "badge of honor"?

No, he didn't. That is totally crazy, stupid and wrong. The high death toll is a badge of incompetence, tragedy, fantasy, corruption and disgrace. Trump is a dishonorable moron. Australian news routinely compares our experience with the USA, with the cautionary tale of how we have dodged the bullet with only 100 people in total killed by COVID compared to 90,000 in the US. Australia has 25 million people, so if we had followed the "badge of honor" strategy we would have lost 5000 people. This is a testament to having a public health system, and governments interested in facts.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
DWill, Harry Marks
Wed May 20, 2020 5:36 am
Profile Email WWW

Gold Contributor

Re: Trump Watch
No one was following a "badge of honor" strategy.
I agree, it was a stupid thing to say.. very stupid. But it wasn't the same as saying "it was our honor to let people die"
That's nonsense and you know it.

NY has a population of 19.5 million
CA has a population of almost 40 million.
Both states are visited by the international community as much and likely even more than Australia.
Dodger Stadium attracts more people in 4 seasons of play than the population of Australia.
It is all "apples to oranges" for many, many reasons.

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
Harry Marks
Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 am
Profile Email
Nutty for Books

Well, today Trump threatened to withhold federal funding to Michigan and Nevada for sending out ballot applications. Mail-in voting is the new demon of the Breitbart crowd, based on nothing at all. Except maybe that it could thwart strategems like the closure of most polling stations in urban Milwaukee in the recent Wisconsin election.

Once again the supposed political genius shows a tin ear for actual voter inclinations, smearing and threatening two swing states. The man brings new meaning to the term "self-sabotage."

He corrected his own error, recognizing that it wasn't ballots that were mailed out but applications for ballots. He also walked back his threat (perhaps Stephen Miller contacted him about self-sabotage?) to Michigan, saying they would find out "very soon if it's necessary" to penalize them, then "I don't think it's going to be necessary."

However he has not corrected insinuations that voter fraud is the concern. I live in Colorado now, where mail-in ballots are considered well-tested and a bigger help to the elderly, who tend to be conservative, than to any other demographic. Nor has he corrected the claim that the Michigan move was illegal. A Trump campaign spokesman claimed that the secretary of state could not send absentee ballot applications to all voters, based on supposed case law, but the form has been available on line already and Michigan in 2018 passed a constitutional amendment expanding access to absentee voting. If he keeps up this sort of foolishness he will be left with no base to agitate.

The Secretary of State he attacked in Nevada is a Republican.

It must be nerve-wracking to be a Republican candidate down-ballot right now. Tied to the mast of a sinking ship, with the captain lurching from one rocky headland to the next to ram with his converted yacht. Full speed ahead!

Wed May 20, 2020 6:02 pm
Profile Email
Nutty for Books

According to Real Clear Politics Biden is ahead of Trump by at least 5 points in Florida, Pennsylvania and Arizona, by 3 points in Wisconsin, but behind in Ohio and North Carolina by 3 points and Iowa by 2 points. Looks like it might be another squeaker.

It is too early for any kind of confidence, of course. Things could break the President's way. But that would require him to shut his Tweet and let his internet devils do their work. Somehow I don't think it's going to happen that way.

Wed May 20, 2020 6:18 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

ant wrote:
"apples to oranges"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/c ... eaths.html points out that "Lockdown Delays Cost at Least 36,000 Lives, Data Show"

The differences in death rates between countries are primarily a matter of the national policies that each country adopts, with the high death rate in the USA due to failure to take prompt measures to control the epidemic. Several of the comments from President Trump quoted in this article generated a dangerous level of complacency.
The New York Times wrote:
After Italy and South Korea had started aggressively responding to the virus, President Trump resisted canceling campaign rallies or telling people to stay home or avoid crowds. The risk of the virus to most Americans was very low, he said. “Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on,” Mr. Trump tweeted on March 9, suggesting that the flu was worse than the coronavirus. “At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Harry Marks
Thu May 21, 2020 3:07 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next