Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next
Trump is not a joke 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Trump is not a joke
LanDroid wrote:
If you're attempting to contrast explicitly declared rights versus what was clearly allowed under the constitution, that made no difference whatsoever to the millions of slaves in America and I'm not too interested in nit-picking about that.

The 3/5ths clause, the way I am reading it was a necessary but evil compromise, not for a declared or implied right of slave ownership, but simply an ends to a means, ratification of the document for starters, how to deal with representation, and taxes was part of it as well, The slave holding states would have had a representative advantage without the compromise, was it right to do so? it certainly would have been interesting to see what would have come about without it. Standing firm on ending slavery before a constitution existed would require an even deeper historical revision. Amendments came after ratification, I get it, and no I'm not interested in nit-pickery either. The 3/5ths compromise tabled an issue that came to a head in the civil war just as you have said.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:08 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reads while driving

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Standing firm on ending slavery before a constitution existed would require an even deeper historical revision.

As you imply, the bottom line is the slave owning states would never have ratified the Constitution if they weren't fully satisfied their "peculiar institution" would continue with few restrictions. This renders your point (and Bork's) irrelevant, that there was no right to own slaves in the Constitution. And circling back to original intent - although that is worth considering, we are not bound by certain ghastly values held at that time.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:35 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reads while driving

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
While still hopeful that Mr. Rubio might prevail, Mr. McConnell has begun preparing senators for the prospect of a Trump nomination, assuring them that, if it threatened to harm them in the general election, they could run negative ads about Mr. Trump to create space between him and Republican senators seeking re-election. Mr. McConnell has raised the possibility of treating Mr. Trump’s loss as a given and describing a Republican Senate to voters as a necessary check on a President Hillary Clinton, according to senators at the lunches.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/po ... party.html

That is pretty amazing. If Trump is the GOP nominee, Mitch McConnell gives up, assumes Hillary will win, and instructs vulnerable Senators to attack Trump so the GOP maintains control of the Senate as the only check against the new President. Can't recall where that happened before, but perhaps it did. If this happens, we know exactly what McConnell will say on 1/20/17:
Quote:
My number one priority is making sure President Obama Clinton is a one-term president. :lol:

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:57 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

Silver Contributor

LanDroid wrote:
If Trump is the GOP nominee, Mitch McConnell gives up, assumes Hillary will win, and instructs vulnerable Senators to attack Trump so the GOP maintains control of the Senate as the only check against the new President.

Its so bizarre and far-fetched that its bound to happen.

Its freakish.

Trump may be the first nominee/candidate bumped off by his own party.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:41 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Beyond Genius

So the latest thing about Trump is the violence at his rallies and speeches. All the more disturbing as we watch the man edge closer and closer to winning the nomination. Never in my years of watching American politics did I ever see a candidate endorse violence and attempt to use the unbridled rage and stupid aggressiveness of his idiot fan base to strong arm himself into the nomination. In case you missed it, he has now pretty much promised riots if he doesn't get the nomination. He is a true demagogue--one of the best I've seen. He doesn't tell his audience to commit violence if he is denied the nomination, he simply mentions its likelihood and his fan base gets the message--they will riot if he doesn't get the nod.

Usually when a candidate or president is compared to Hitler, it's hyperbole, mostly due to that idiot Glenn Beck who would compare your puppy-dog to Hitler if he thought it would get him anywhere. Even as much of a dictator as George W. Bush was, I never compared him to Hitler. He was too stupid for one thing. But Trump truly is approaching the Hitleresque the deeper into this race we go. It's all there--the egocentricity, the jingoistic bullshit, the scapegoating of imaginary enemies, the fervent nationalism, the cult of personality, the clubbing down of hecklers, the reactionary intolerance towards even mild criticism and the total willingness to use violence as a means to his ends, the rewarding of violence committed in his name. It's all there. Criminal behavior is okay with Trump just so long as you practice it for him.

Trump has not only destroyed the republican party, he has created a fascist party in its place. And he will be stopped because he can't get elected but that isn't going to be the end, it's only the beginning. In his wake, new demagogues are going to be groomed to blabber out the same line of crap but they'll be more polished, younger, handsomer, have more aplomb. And the masses will go for one of them. Sooner or later one of them will sweep the public off its collective feet. He'll be everything this country is looking for--mark my words.

We may well be witnessing the beginning of the end of America as we know it. That end has been a long time coming but we closed our eyes, our minds and our hearts and pretended it wasn't there. You can't run from what's inside you. America is coming to an end because, ultimately, we wanted it to end. If we didn't, none of this would be happening. It could have only happened with our approval and participation--or maybe our apathy. But, either way, we allowed it.

The following user would like to thank DB Roy for this post:
DWill, Robert Tulip
Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:09 pm
Profile Email
Reads while driving

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

"Do you rape only white women or do you also rape your daughter?"
Some hillbilly screamed this at a Mexican family attending a Trump rally here in Cincinnati. Sweet moments like that don't rise to the level of media attention, but I expect they're becoming more frequent.

Now Trump supporters are trying to track and disrupt protesters.
http://www.advocate.com/politics/transg ... g-survival
http://lionsoftrump.net/ <=Their motto is from Mussolini...

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:34 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Beyond Genius

Since they joined "Lions of Trump" into one word, I mistakenly read it as "Lion soft rump."

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:20 pm
Profile Email
Reads while driving

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Lion Soft Rump could be an excellent parody site!
:muahaha:

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:47 pm
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

It is somewhat hypocritical to sit in the 21st century and smugly look down on the era of slavery in the US. Indeed, one of the major broadsides which atheists use against Christians is slavery. But, just what moral highground does one possess when one benefits from what is essentially hidden slavery? Some of the most ostensibly progressive companies sell products which are made by what are essentially slaves. I have linked to an article claiming that if iPhones were made in the US, they would cost $2,000.

iPhone made in USA would cost $2,000

where n are natural numbers.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:33 am
Profile Email
Reads while driving

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

The Donald will bring us $2000. I-Phones! What a great campaign slogan! :clap2:

'Tis true, Americans benefit from quasi-slave wages from 'round the world. But that in no way excuses the actual slavery or the religious rhetoric that justified it in our own history.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:53 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Metaphorically, we have wage slaves, many of whom work in conditions that labor laws in the most developed countries have attempted to outlaw and been fairly successful in doing so. But these people are not very similar to the chattel slaves of our own Old South, who were bought, sold, traded for, inherited, punished with impunity, not allowed to be educated, etc. As for Christians backing up slave systems, of course many did, but many were fervently against slavery, mostly in the North. Slavery was always an economic proposition, not a religious one, just as "wage slavery" is.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:46 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

DB Roy wrote:
he will be stopped because he can't get elected but that isn't going to be the end, it's only the beginning. In his wake, new demagogues are going to be groomed to blabber out the same line of crap but they'll be more polished, younger, handsomer, have more aplomb. And the masses will go for one of them. Sooner or later one of them will sweep the public off its collective feet. He'll be everything this country is looking for--mark my words.

My theory of history is that the USA is repeating the evolution process of Rome.

That means the US is now like the late Republic (~135 BC), a period of great upheaval as the old republican institutions proved incapable of handling the emerging political and economic challenges of empire. New military dictators Marius and Sulla were starting to emerge, showing that the power of the army was greater than traditional senatorial custom.

The validity of this comparison is based on the observation that spending nearly a trillion dollars every year on the military distorts American culture, economy and politics. If the USA works on the same time scale as Rome (based on the model of Hannibal = Hitler), the US will be in civil war in about forty years. Leaving aside that such a historical comparison is pure speculation, there is also the factor that the USA is more influenced by world opinion than either ancient Rome (zero) or Nazi Germany (minimal).

If Trump started blessing gangs of street ruffians like Hitler's SA, his lack of support would become even more pointed. But when power comes from the barrel of a gun, in Mao's celebrated phrase, and when economic dislocation causes widespread social anger, as in Nazi Germany, democratic huffing can be ignored. Economic collapse would significantly increase the drivers for right wing extremism in the US. I do think though that human social evolution is such that the USA will not be able to become a military dictatorship, which is what a post-Trump fascist agenda would seek.

Last edited by Robert Tulip on Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:58 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Silver Contributor

I personally feel Trump is a loose cannon who doesn't have enough experience to be President, but if he surrounds himself with an amazing cabinet perhaps he might have a shot. I could never vote For Hilary Clinton (too dishonest), so as of now Trump would get my vote by default. as a woman I want the first woman President to be someone I can be be proud of not someone chosen because they would be a famous first.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:17 pm
Profile Email
Tenured Professor

Quote:
as a woman I want the first woman President to be someone I can be be proud of not someone chosen because they would be a famous first.

I want any president we get to be one we can be proud of and not chosen for being famous.

Donald Trump is exactly that. He is only doing well because he's famous. He's had a series of television shows, and gets into the media how?
By having dirt throwing spats with people he calls "looosers" on twitter.

Inexperienced?

He has no idea what he's talking about. None at all.
He's been asked how far he would go to attempt to "Get mexico to pay" for his ludicrous wall. And when asked if he would take war off the table, instead of condemning such a stupendously stupid idea as going to war with an ally to placate the most racist people in our country, he boasted about America's military strength and suggested mexico had better not mess with us.

The president of our country CANNOT be this careless and stupid. We MUST expect more of our leader than the kind of drunken braggadocio we could see from a drunken frat bro.

Dishonesty?

You are talking about Donald Trump. A reality TV façade...
What you see is the character of Trump. That is not a person. That is a mascot for the Trump name.
Voting for Trump is like voting for Colonel Sanders.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
DB Roy, LanDroid, Taylor
Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:38 am
Genuinely Genius

Silver Contributor

Excellent video link Johnson1010, I highly recommend people watch it for them selves.

Last edited by Taylor on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:01 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next