• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Trump is not a joke

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Re: Trump is not a joke

Unread post

Peter Sagal on "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" said he had a hard time understanding someone saying that they didn't know whether to vote for Sanders or Trump which he said was like asking should I eat this fine homemade meal cooked with loving care or that flaming bag of crap someone threw on my porch yesterday?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

The campaign has the morbid fascination of viewing a train wreck. I'm curious as to what Hillary Clinton's team is really thinking about the prospect of facing Trump in the general election. Could they be salivating over the prospect and praying that Trump gets to Cleveland with at least 1,237 delegates, so that the convention won't be brokered and a harder-to-defeat candidate be chosen? With DT's very high unfavorable polling with the electorate, it doesn't appear that HRT will need to bend over backwards to trounce Trump. It's very hard to imagine his support expanding beyond the admittedly large core of devoted Trumpites. But that core is small in comparison to the number of voters who will turn out next November.

I can't recall a single candidate in my lifetime for whom I felt such disgust, not even George Wallace.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I still believe that Trump won't get the nomination. I think the convention will be brokered in the end. That's the whole reason Trump is threatening riots. He knows that the party can change its rules anytime it wants and contest his nomination and he is saying, you better not try that. Of course, that opens up the idea of who the candidate will be. Cruz is next in line but has thus far lost fair and square so they would have to nominate someone currently not in the race. They say Romney but he'll just lose again and seems to be singlehandedly destroying Clear Channel radio. So it will be interesting. Especially if there are riots. Then there is a group of 12,000 republican idiots (redundant term to be sure) that want to be allowed to bring firearms saying that anything less steps on their 2nd Amendment rights! So imagine that! 12,000 armed, paranoid, delusional people and a huge riot breaks out. Pass the popcorn, I'm ready!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Three influential leaders of the conservative movement have summoned other top conservatives for a closed-door meeting Thursday in Washington, D.C., to talk about how to stop Donald Trump and, should he become the Republican nominee, how to run a third-party “true conservative” challenger in the fall.
3/15/16
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/t ... ump-220786
The GOP convention could be disastrous no matter what happens. The above suggests if Trump is nominated, a conservative 3rd party candidate will run. However if Trump has a yooge lead in delegates and is denied the nomination, he will probably run as 3rd party. What a mess...

Given all that, the GOP convention simply cannot happen in a "gun free zone", it would be much too dangerous. The more guns, the safer everyone will be! :coco:
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Esactly, Anderson Cooper.

http://uproxx.com/news/anderson-cooper-donald-trump/

That is the argument, and behavior of a 5 year old.

And when that's pointed out, Trump starts a spat with Anderson Cooper.
This is not a president. This is an idiot.

Maybe even somebody who fits a clinical definition of the word. Someone driven by the Id.
What he thinks hurdles through his teeth before any kind of cross-checking with a conscious mind.

The president cannot be this way. The president MUST be diplomatic. His every statement will be weighed and measured a thousand ways and people will look for subtle meanings in every nuance.

Can you trust a man like this with critical secrets of state? Absolutely not.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

If Trump can't take even minor criticisms from other candidates or journalists, imagine how he'll react when a world leader criticizes him. No matter you feel about Obama, his strength lay in his ability to not snap back at nasty remarks made about him. Even when they went after his daughters, he stayed out of it and let the press and pundits take those people to task. He is the very picture of restraint and poise. Imagine President Trump giving a SOTU address and some idiot congressman yells out, "YOU LIE!" Trump will have a conniption. "PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!!!! SOMEBODY PUNCH THAT OBNOXIOUS ASSHOLE IN THE FACE!!!! DON'T INTERRUPT ME!! SOMEBODY STOMP THE SHIT OUTTA HIM!!!" I'll be rubbing my temples muttering, "This just can't be. This just canNOT be!"

Plus a guy like that is easy to control. All you have to do is offer a criticism and then watch him fly off the handle so that everyone sees what a jerk he is. It's just too easy. He cannot be president which is why I say that he won't get the nomination. They HAVE to find a way to give it to someone else. Anyone but Trump, basically. I mean, not Sarah Palin or some dumbass like that but somebody. Taking a stab at it, I believe it will be Kasich in the end. Despite the fact that he gets less votes than Rubio who has already dropped out, nationally, Kasich has a chance where Trump or Cruz do not.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

After reading a Wall Street Journal account of Trump's amateurish approach to preparations for a general election, I think the title of this thread is incorrect.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

In terms of every ability and quality we'd like to see in a president, he's a joke, yes. But what D B was referring to was the viability of his candidacy. That has turned out to be no joke.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Trump's viability, as far as I can tell, is restricted to less than half of the Republican base, and does not extend to an electable proportion of the total voting public. As such, his candidacy is a joke, except for the ominous signal regarding medium term cultural trends.

Here is a great article in the New York Review of Books. http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/04 ... e-stopped/ One disturbing thing here is how much Trump has produced a morbid fascination, in a way that has people imagining he is really on the brink of power.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I don't think he's electable, either, but just to be the nominee of one of the two major parties is extraordinary, and that is still probable. We've not had any nominee in modern times--or maybe ever--as far off the beaten track as Trump. The NY Review of Books piece brings in another aspect of, and reason for, Trump's rise, that the media are reveling in the spectacle and finding it nicely lucrative. The reality tv star gets to be the star of his own political reality show, courtesy of the media. without spending very much of his fortune or needing to pander to donors. It's a good gig.

Return to “Current Events & History”