• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

topics you want to know more about

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

topics you want to know more about

Unread post

Since we're always looking at suggestions for upcoming quarterly readings, I thought it might be helpful to have a thread devoted to listing topics that we're like to know more about. That ought to give us some ideas in terms of what books to look for in future quarters. What are you interested in learning about and possible discussing in the future?
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: topics you want to know more about

Unread post

A few topics off the top of my head:Shintoimperial Chinasuperstring theory -----------------"Ain't got a name, just a current address."
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

String theory...that is a good one.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

I am currently conducting my own readings into early United States history; specifically the post revolutionary times and the leaders that shaped the country. I really have only just begun my readings and this is definitely a topic I want to better develop my knowledge on.The current state of voting, specifically voter malaise, media issues surrounding voting, financial issues surrounding voting, alternative voting systems, effects of negative campaigning, how these problems effect our democratic system, how the system can be improved, etc.History of the Middle East seems especially worth while given current world events. The Harris discussion reminded me that I am vastly knowledge deficient in this section of world history.I don't think this would make a very good book discussion, but I do want to know more about weather forecasting, most because I am a skier and live for fresh snow. Definitely a subject I am planning on taking up in detail eventually, nothing that would work for a book discussion here though.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

river:Another great topic!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

I'm leaning towards philosophy or cognitive science.I've read a lot of history over the last few years, and I'm ready for something different.
GOD defiles Reason

Unread post

"I'm leaning towards philosophy or cognitive science."I'm becoming interested in studying how cognitive science may effect philosophical ideas. Didn't you recommend a Lakoff book in the past? Have you tried to tackle his Philosophy in the Flesh?I'm finding this meme idea intriguing, too.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Too bad we read "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" when we were a relatively young community. That books was fantastic. I'd do another book about the plight of the American Indians in a heart beat.Another topic would be the Holocaust. I've read Schindler's List and also watched the movie. I'd enjoy learning more about this disgusting piece of human history.And I've always wanted to read a book about slavery or early African American culture. I'd like to learn the real history and reasons why slavery existed and then finally was abolished. Who brought them over here and why? What was slave life like? What led to the abolishment of slavery?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

String Theory sounds a little complex for a discussion community that is going through a slow time right now. How many would be compelled to purchase a book on string theory, read it, and then make posts? I know you guys would, but would anyone else? Not that it isn't a worthy topic, but to me discussing string theory would be like doing a book on advanced calculus and expecting to have a vibrant and exciting discussion.
GOD defiles Reason

Unread post

"And I've always wanted to read a book about slavery or early African American culture. I'd like to learn the real history and reasons why slavery existed and then finally was abolished. Who brought them over here and why? What was slave life like? What led to the abolishment of slavery?" I'm curious about those things, too. It's especially interesting that the slave trade continued and expanded while our founders were invoking rhetoric about all men being created equal and inalienable rights and all that. I'm curious about what kind of mentality could treat a people like animals supposedly during an age of reason and enlightenment.As an extension, I bet a study in how the slaves/former slaves were treated after the Civil War, during "Reconstruction," and the Neo-Confederate movement might be revealing.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”