• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What next?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

What next?

Unread post

I buy my mother books from time to time. It's just our thing. She has loved every book I have gotten her so far. Now, I need some ideas for what to get next.

So far I've bought and she has read: "The Lovely Bones" and "The Lucky One". She actually liked "The Lucky One" more.

Just bought: "Eat, Pray, Love" and she'll be finishing that within a week or so.

What book would go well next?
They say 90% of the game is half mental.
torp42

Re: What next?

Unread post

Your mother will LOVE Eat, Pray, Love...she will finish it sooner than you think....I am reading the book "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. Inner and Outer journey in this wonderful story. I am not done with it yet, but i can't put it down.
rainbells
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

How about 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' ? It's kind of bittersweet, like "The Lovely Bones" but I liked it better. Very engaging characters.
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Ah, both wonderful suggestions.
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I loved Curious Incident and have yet to read Lovely Bones (it's collecting tons of dust) or Eat, Pray and Love. The latter is now also going to be a movie I just learned with Julia Roberts! I wondered where she went for the last 10 years at least. She's been totally off of the radar screen for such a long time.

Serious question: How did The Lovely Bones movie do? Was it even remotely fair to the book? Just curious.

I've read tons of praise and megatons of criticism about Eat, Pray and Love. It's been a long time since I've seen that strong a reaction to a book. Such a little book too. How can you make a movie out of such a tiny little thing I wonder? (rhetorical question folks :wink: )
Booklady

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Nelson Mandela

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
George Carlin

“A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.”

"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

"When I hear somebody sigh "Life is hard" I'm always tempted to ask "Compared to what?"

You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

torp42 wrote:Your mother will LOVE Eat, Pray, Love...she will finish it sooner than you think....I am reading the book "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. Inner and Outer journey in this wonderful story. I am not done with it yet, but i can't put it down.
Actually, she is not so into it. Mind you, this is a quote from her, I didn't read the book:

"I think this book will appeal to a lot of frustrated, unhappy married women who are considering a new life but will never do it".

LOL. Ah well, can't pick a winner every time.
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

booklady wrote:I loved Curious Incident and have yet to read Lovely Bones (it's collecting tons of dust) or Eat, Pray and Love. The latter is now also going to be a movie I just learned with Julia Roberts! I wondered where she went for the last 10 years at least. She's been totally off of the radar screen for such a long time.

Serious question: How did The Lovely Bones movie do? Was it even remotely fair to the book? Just curious.

I've read tons of praise and megatons of criticism about Eat, Pray and Love. It's been a long time since I've seen that strong a reaction to a book. Such a little book too. How can you make a movie out of such a tiny little thing I wonder? (rhetorical question folks :wink: )
Yes, as you can see from my post above, my mother also had a strong reaction to the book. She actually went on to compare it to men who watch sports and like to say "I can do that."
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I actually went with "Dear John" by N. Sparks as her next book. I actually bought her two books, the other was "The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas".

In a few weeks when it is time to buy another, there is one I've been told she will love.............something about Lemon Cake........a daughter eats lemon cake and can hear what her mother is thinking or something.
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Hmmm, funny. I wrote what my mother said about the book (I guess cause this thread is about what book to buy her) and forgot to mention what someone said to me on a recent date. Very different take.

"I had to stop reading that book at a certain point. I said to myself ""This is my life, I don't want to relive it right now"" and put it down for a good three months. Then I finished it and its still one of my all time favorite books, even though I will not be rereading it".
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

I haven't read Eat, Pray, Love. It sounds too sappy. Kind of like it's precursor, Bridges of Madison County. Remember that hype a number of years ago?

Return to “Everything Else”