• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Smoking or Non-Smoking?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Smoker or Non-smoker?

Smoker

20%
Non-smoker

80%

Total votes: 15
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Smoking or Non-Smoking?

Unread post

This isn't really meant to be a debate about smoking (but it can be if that is the trend this thread takes), I'm just honestly curious to see how many of my fellow readers are smokers or not.

You can give a reason if you like, for either, you can share your favorite brand of smokes, if you do smoke, and any other interesting tidbits you might want to share, as well.

I am a smoker, have been since I was a teenager. My brands of smokes have changed over the years, and since about 2003 I have smoked nothing except Djarum clove cigarettes, Blacks being my favorite. If I can't smoke cloves, I can't smoke at all. I was in Greece for a few weeks in May of 2008, and I unfortunately didn't pack enough cloves to satisfy my habit throughout the trip, and apparently Greece does not distribute or sell cloves of any kind, so when I ran out of what I had brought with me I had to try to make do with either Marlboros (which I smoked all through high school) or Lucky Strikes, and neither were very satisfying and I was glad to get home to pick up cloves again. Many people compliment me on their delicious smell, saying it reminds them of incense and in some cases church (apparently they smell similar to incense used in Catholic churches; one girl told me they "smelled like Christmas," which I thought was so poetic I needed to remember to use it in a poem someday). Others hate them even more than normal cigarette smoke, like my brother, who can smell that I've been smoking even if I hadn't smoked for several hours before seeing him and he always shares his disdain. If I had to give up cloves, I would give up smoking, because at this point I can't even stand the taste or smell of regular cigarettes.

Anyone else feel like sharing? ;)
rainbells
The Great Gabsby

Re: Smoking or Non-Smoking?

Unread post

That's interesting, Bleachededen, because I have always wondered what cloves were like. I smoked regular cigs. for about 35 years, and then gave them up because all my friends and family had long ago quit, and I didn't fit in anyplace anymore. I have been smoke free for seven years, but I still miss them, and I would love to smoke again, but I won't, because of the health issues. Are cloves safer than regular tobacco? Are they less addictive? Also, I gained a lot of weight when I quit, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to lose it. Well, I'm not young anymore, so it's harder to lose weight anyway, but still, I wouldn't have gained the weight in the first place if I hadn't quit smoking. :(
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Clove cigarettes are 60-70% tobacco. They are in fact less healthy than regular cigarettes, as they contain more nicotine (which is probably one of the reasons you prefer them, bleachededen) and tar.

But anyway, I don't smoke. I can't afford any bad habits right now (by which I mean literally, I don't have money to spare on them). :lol:
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I honestly didn't know cloves had more nicotine, I like them for the smell and the taste. I knew they were more unhealthy, but I always assumed they had less nicotine because I need to smoke less than my severely addicted smoker friends and boyfriend and, to my knowledge, I don't really have "nic fits" if I don't have a cigarette. It's more the oral fixation thing, I think.

And rainbells, I can't seem to lose weight anyway, smoking or not. Probably because it's been way too cold to go for walks or anything lately. Maybe the warm weather will bring about good changes! ;)
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I didn't mean you chose them because of the more nicotine. Most people say they're more satisfying than regular cigarettes, which is because they have more nicotine, whether they know it or not.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Aha! Sneaky bastards! :-P
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I smoked from the age of 17 to 35 when I had the MS attacks. I haven't smoked anything in 25 years, yet there is no doubt in my mind that if I had a cigarette right now, tomorrow I would have 2 1/2 packs. Quitting was one of the best things I ever did.
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon
rainbells
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

That's exactly the way I feel, Veneer. I am glad I quit, but I still have cravings. And I would like to try just one but I am afraid that I couldn't stop at one, and I'd go right back up to 2 packs a day. I was under the impression that cloves were safer than regular smokes, I had no idea that they had tobacco and nicotine in them. Oh, for the good old days when I was young and smoked all kinds of stuff without worry :lol:
Last edited by rainbells on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

rainbells, I assure you from the bottom of my heart you can't have just one. We are just as bad as alcoholics, just a different vice. I no longer crave cigarettes, but I absolutely know that I can't tobacco in any form. Hang in there!
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I just quit smoking again about a week ago. I was only a pack or maybe a little over a pack a day. I'll let you all know when I decide to start up again... It always happens.

Return to “Everything Else”