• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What movie scared you when you were a kid?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
PrincessCricket
Almost Comfortable

What movie scared you when you were a kid?

Unread post

Let me see....

1.Who Framed Roger Rabbit? : Judge Doom, especially when he puts that toon shoe into the Dip.
2.Disney's Pinocchio: I still get nightmares from this movie, mainly from the Coachman. "They never come back as...boys!" :twisted: My god that was scary. But I was never scared of the whole boys getting turned into donkeys scene.
3.Return to Oz: Really awesome film, but the Gnome King and Mombi scared me.
4.Nightmare Before Christmas: Mainly because Jack has no eyes. He doesn't really scare me anymore.

Can't think of anything else.
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Re: What movie scared you when you were a kid?

Unread post

The movie that absolutely terrified me when I was a kid was Gremlins. I was so scared that I would hide my mom's collectible memorability in the top of her closet so it couldn't get me. That was the movie that made me scared of things that go bump in the night and monsters under the bed. Of course, I saw it when I was like six, so.... Possibly poor parental judgement.
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
John Bayley
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

i don't remember any films that scared me when i was younger, that's not to say there weren't any though. However, i do remember being terrified by several of my old cassettes. i used to be fascinated by them, i'd listen to them all the time, yet they scared me a lot, especially my tape of ghost stories.
hludwig2010
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I was scared of the Wizard of Oz.
Shalimar
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Chucky! :shock: Guess I wasn't supposed to see it at that age. I still have nightmares and I am almost 28. :lol:
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

An American Werewolf in London. And actually, I was in college when I saw it, but after that I refused to watch any horror movie for years and years. Only in the last couple of years I've been able to watch and enjoy a few light horror shows -- Van Helsing, the Underworld sequence, things of that ilk.
Tom
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

I was terrified of the Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins and Brigadoon with Gene Kelley. I still can't watch The Wizard of Oz.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Krysondra wrote:The movie that absolutely terrified me when I was a kid was Gremlins. I was so scared that I would hide my mom's collectible memorability in the top of her closet so it couldn't get me. That was the movie that made me scared of things that go bump in the night and monsters under the bed. Of course, I saw it when I was like six, so.... Possibly poor parental judgement.
I didn't see Gremlins until I was older, but my wife says that movie scared the bejeezus out of her. But maybe your parents aren't so bad. I think Gremlins was actually marketed towards kids via McDonalds and Burger King in the happy meals and such. Such cute furry little critters . . . until you give them water (was it?)

Basically a trio of movies directed by Steven Spielberg very nearly traumatized me in the days of my impressionable youth. Jaws, Poltergeist and to some extent Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Especially Jaws. And that scene in Poltergeist where the guy rips off his face. I think I almost died.

A few years later it was Ridley Scott's Alien that almost did me in. :lol:
-Geo
Question everything
Nullifidian
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

The scariest movie I saw when I was a kid was Psycho. The shower scene didn't scare me nearly as much as the reveal of Mother. When Lila Crane went into that basement and swung that chair around and saw the dessicated corpse, I just freaked.

A few years later, I went to San Antonio with my family. We visited the Alamo and right across the street was a Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum and a wax museum right next door, Tussaud's Plaza Wax Works. They had a scary section of the museum, featuring characters from classic horror stories (the Wolf Man, the Phantom of the Opera, etc.) as well as real life killers. I only got twenty feet into this room before becoming rooted to the spot by Mother. They had set this wax figure on a turntable to precisely mimic the reveal in the movie, and unluckily for me it was just starting to turn slowly to the right. I ran right out of there and never looked back. :lol:

Other than that, the only scary film I can remember making as great an impression on me was The Omen. I still remember Keith Jennings (David Warner's character) being decapitated by the pane of glass and the head bouncing in the frame. Yikes!

The Exorcist didn't scare me at all, nor did its re-release, with all the 'shocking' language intact, do any more for its reputation. I'm sorry, but any little girl, demon-possessed or not, shouting out "your mother sucks c----s in hell!" is instantly risible.

The only other movie I can say was seriously traumatizing to me was The Great Santini. It's not a horror film at all, but I grew up in an abusive family situation not at all dissimilar to the one in that movie, so it really bothered me. I never did finish watching it and I still haven't tried to see it again.
ChrisRippel
Master Debater

Unread post

Humans fighting the stop-motion skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts, 1963, really creeped me out because the skeletons were almost impossible to kill with swords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yYeZMx1Y7U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_and_the_Arg ... %28film%29

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”