• In total there are 23 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Dark Side: The Lottery

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Dark Side: The Lottery

Unread post

I just finished reading The Lottery. My first thought? OMG!

That was very strange. I had a sneaking suspicion that Mrs. Tessie was going to be the one who was picked. One of those classic cliches about the squeaky wheel. I don't know if I could have taken it if Little Dave was the one who chose it.

My question is what is the purpose of the lottery besides the diminishing of one's population?

I think it symboizes how evil a human being can be. Even little Dave picked up a rock and chucked it at his own mother. I am surprised that no one in the village has complained about the barbaric process. Mrs. Hutchinson tries but is vehmently ignored. Is this a reflection of our society?

We will cast blame on others but not look at what is happening in our own backyards. Are we all capable of murdering our fellow man in the name of that status quo?
If you obey all of the rules, you miss all of the fun.
--Katherine Hepburn
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

There are a couple of reasons that the lottery could be going on in this story.

1. It could be an old ritual used to ensure a good crop.

2. It could be the use of the scapegoat. They sacrifice Tessie in place of the sins of all of the townspeople.

Either way, it is clear that the ritual is so old that the town has forgotten its meaning and carries on with it in an empty fashion. I think this is a commentary on the rituals that so many people go through today without thinking about what they mean, for example, the true meanings of holidays (Christian and historic pagan).
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

Good Point. When I read your comment, I remembered a line in the story.
'Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon'
That is exactly what it could mean. Later.
First thing you know, we'd all be eating stewed chickweed and acorns. There's always been a lottery," he added petulantly. "Bad enough to see young Joe Summers up there joking with everybody."
I guess they see stoning a way to bring a good harvest.

As you said, just think what we do to ensure good luck. Rabbit's foot. Rubbing your palms on your pockets. Kissing the roof of the car during a yellow light. So on and so forth.
--Katherine Hepburn
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

dark side

Unread post

The lottery may have started out as a ritual to insure a good fall harvest, but it turned into an act of unessassary cruelty and violence. It also shows how violent women can be. Mrs. Delecrox, Tessie's friend picks up a rock so heavy, she needs to hold it in both hands. I think Tessie would have done the same thing had she not been the one picked.

Did you guys pick up that the Hutchinsons, when asked if there were any other members of their household, Tessie mentions her married daughter? Married daughters drew with the husband's family. Tessie was willing to sacrifice her own daughter to save herself.

There certainly is a religious tone to it. Human sacrifices were preformed to satisfy the gods in many cultures. I thought it interesting how the "young" members of other towns had either stopped it, or were at least considering stopping it. This would suggest that the "young" were not willing to blindly follow. The tripod used for the black box could symbolize the holy trinity.

I loved some of the names. Mr. Warner was my fav, warn-er.
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

I didn't catch Mrs. Delecrox with the rock. But I did catch Tessie trying to give up her daughter. Just shows you how far humans will go to save their own skin. Let me rephrase that. Some humans. I would rather have myself be stoned then have my 4 month old daughter be stoned.

I do think that is is very strange that other villages stopped it and the residents of this village complained. They called their neighbors barbaric. Funny how things work.

I don't know if I would bring the tripod thing up. Anything that is three could be labeled as the trinity. Oops! I think my Wiccan is showing.
--Katherine Hepburn
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Dark side

Unread post

Raving Lunatic wrote:
I don't know if I would bring the tripod thing up. Anything that is three could be labeled as the trinity.
Sorry, so true. I mentioned it because I found this to be part of the symbolism of the theme. I have used the "tripod" in some of my own writings. Obviously, most chairs have four legs, I have used the tripod to symbolize strength with having less, and having purpose and meaning while missing characterisics like greed, or wealth, or even education. It could be used for making due with less, maybe, making due with less people in the villiage?

This is also very interesting, it's an essay written by a student, however, he points out some good examples.

http://www.essaydepot.com/essayme/1740/index.php
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

That was interesting. When you had mentioned the characters' names, I didn't see all of that before. I did get Warner and Graves but not Summers and Martin. What about Hutchinson?
--Katherine Hepburn
Pa1nDru1d
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

The lottery may have started out as a ritual to insure a good fall harvest, but it turned into an act of unessassary cruelty and violence.
Of course, in the minds of the adults it isn't unnecessary at all. Fear is the motivating factor. Even if some of the other villages have stopped sacrificing, they seem to have adopted a "better safe than sorry" attitude.

I agree, however, that I would rather sacrifice myself rather than see my loved ones be harmed. Then again, what would stop them from being sacrificed next season? It would seem more prudent to try to change things.

I found it interesting that it was the young boys that were most motivated to collect the stones. It brought to mind a picture of a boy pulling the wings off flies or burning ants with a magnifying glass.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Pa1nDru1d wrote:
Of course, in the minds of the adults it isn't unnecessary at all. Fear is the motivating factor. Even if some of the other villages have stopped sacrificing, they seem to have adopted a "better safe than sorry" attitude.
I can see how you could come to this conclusion. It would make sense that the villiagers are in fear that the crops will not grow, or be as plentiful. However, it has been at leat 77 years since this has been going on. I would think they have expeirienced years without rain, or years with too much, and by now they should have a clue that the lottery makes no difference. I think I need to disagree with you on this one. I believe violence and cruelty are the motiviating factors in this ritual. The villiagers enjoy it, especially the women. This can be seen with Tessie trying to sacrifice her daughter, and with Mrs. Delecroix choosing the largest rock. Pure violence for entertainment sake.
Raving Lunatic
All Star Member

Unread post

I believe violence and cruelty are the motiviating factors in this ritual. The villiagers enjoy it, especially the women. This can be seen with Tessie trying to sacrifice her daughter, and with Mrs. Delecroix choosing the largest rock. Pure violence for entertainment sake.
Or it could be viewed as making sure (in a ritual sense) not to get picked next time. Just a thought.
--Katherine Hepburn

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”