• In total there are 26 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

National Health Care.

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

National Health Care.

Unread post

Commence the argument!

Health care for americans... GOOD.

Fire BAAAD!
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

The retina of my wife's sister detatched from her eyeball. She would go blind without immediate medical care.

We skipped out on work and drove her to the nearest hospital which could handle this case, 3 hours away. When we got there they set her up in a hotel room, owned by the hospitol, at 70 bucks a night. Not so bad.

They took a look at her and decided they could fix it by cincning down the eye-ball with a strap so that the two peices of her eyes once more made contact with eachother.

The surgery was $8,000. Sure, i guess i can see that. delicate work, expert training, equipment, sterilization and all of that.

She stayed in an actual hospital room for 18 hours. Cost of hospital stay, $18,000 total.

8 for the surgery, ten thousand for the hospital bed... ?

Some things cannot function through the free market. it works just fine with bread. If you think they are charging too much for this kind of bread, you can buy a different kind. What choice is there when you are faced with blindness, or extreme debt? This is no choice at all. Anyone would choose to have their sight restored, or be cured of cancer over debt. This is not a free market decision, but a compulsory decision.

Marcus Licinius Crassus formed one of the first fire brigades. He and his 500 slaves would arrive at a burning building and begin to deal with the fire, but they would only do so if the property owner sold that property to him at a rediculous price. If the owner refused, Marcus packed up the slaves and left. What is the choice here? Lose everything, or take a raping to eek out what meager scraps you can.

The same thing happens now with health care. Being diagnosed with cancer is almost a certain path to losing everything you have ever worked for. What does it cost to get treated? Everything you own, in most cases, and still more besides, often putting all the people who try to help you in debt as well. The only chance of coming out of this on top is to have health insurance and hope that they do not manage to find some reason to deny your claim, and trust me they are looking for any reason.

What happened to health care costs? I see a lot of television, and i know what old-west doctors did when you broke a bone. They came to your house, fixed you up and then you give them a freaking CHICKEN and they called it even.

I, for one, am quite glad we have fire fighters who do not demand everything you own before they will help you.
Last edited by johnson1010 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:What happened to health care costs?
What happened is the health insurance industry has set itself up as a middleman between health care providers and patients. As such, it calls the shots, dictating what kind of treatment and how much to charge. A good question to ask is why does health care cost nearly twice per person in the U.S. than in other industrialized nations? The solution is not to spend more on health care, but to enact real health care reform by dealing with the problem, which is the health insurance industry.
-Geo
Question everything
kal
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Another good question geo is why the high health care costs in US do not offer much to its citizens.
Take infant mortality, which I think is frequently used as an overall marker of population health. US lag behind Japan, Australia and all EU countries, even those that are much, much poorer than US (see http://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2008/r081015.htm).

I wholeheartedly agree with you johnson1010, health care is NOT a market issue. I grew up in Greece, where the annual income of an individual is about half of that in US, but no one ever has to find out how much essential, life-saving treatments cost.

There was also an excellent article in New Yorker recently about differences within the US, that shows the same: it's not how much you spent (at least not above a minimum amount) it's what you do with it: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009 ... ct_gawande
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

All systems we organize in society have an underlying set of beliefs somewhere. The beliefs at the core of capitalism go something like this: Wealth is good. Go out and get as much money as you can, and keep it. During the last decade or so of neo-con ascendancy, they might also add: And don’t give any to government, they will just waste it (give it to us!).

Now, capitalism has been tamed somewhat since it’s high point during the industrial revolution, and the grimy manufacturing cities of Charles Dickens. It has for us westerners anyway; places like China may be another matter. Ironically, capitalism was civilized, and quite likely saved, by government. The 1930’s were a point of economic failure for the prevailing system of the time, and were generating resentment and backlash from those at the bottom end of the stick. Programs like FDR’s “New Deal” probably moderated things enough to avoid the pot boiling over. We may be seeing something similar again today, as government intervention heads off the worst of entrepreneurial greed and excess during the most recent bubble.

In recent years, the neo-con movement has tried to insist that the market is everything. Wealth is what is important, and an unregulated market will magically sort out the economy, and society at large, rewarding the productive, eliminating the wasteful. This has actually never been the case before in human society. Commerce was always only a segment of society, and not seen as all encompassing. There was a civil society outside of the marketplace.

Competition works reasonably well for some aspects of the economy. I would say that often it works best at the smaller end; that is, with small businesses like coffee shops or hairdressers. If you don’t like Starbucks, well, there is probably another shop just down the street. At the top end, it gets a little more problematic. It often doesn’t pay to duplicate massive projects, such as hydro dams, so that they can “compete”. And for some aspects of society, John Adams “invisible guiding hand” doesn’t work at all.

Medical care is a good example. As Johnson has described, applying the free market to individual’s injury and misfortune is ludicrous. People will pay pretty much whatever they are forced to pay, and unless one has some medical training, the fiction that they are making a “choice” in getting treatment is just that. The problem goes beyond the individuals suffering and possible financial ruin. Private medicine creates distortions in the economy, for example, by putting an unfair burden on small private companies struggling to pay medical benefits, and siphoning off huge financial resources and directing them to insurance companies, overpaid administrators, and others who add nothing to actual medical care.

The US is the only major developed country, aside from South Africa I believe, that does not have a comprehensive national medical insurance scheme that covers all it’s people. And even in South Africa, they are now having this same debate. I hope Obama has some success.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Insurance companies have allowed the sky-rocketing of health prices by their existence, in my opinion.

If doctors and hospitols were only dealing with single families or individuals the proceedures would necessarily cost only a small fraction of what they do currently.

Insurance companies give make it appears as though every person who walks through the doors is a source of thousands of dollars in profit. Each head is seen as another access point to the insurance companies, comparatively, bottomless coffers.

In actuality, many hundreds of people, paying their premiums over the course of years, have all that money re-directed to cover the expense of any given major surgery. That one person can not reasonably afford the proceedure themselves. Yet hospitols and doctors charge these rediculous sums every time you go through the doors.

This has the effect of eliminating health care options for anyone who cannot afford the huge price tag of health care.

Republicans are arguing against health care on the grounds that government will be between patients and doctors, or somebody in the government will decide who gets treatment and who doesnt. They are describing precisely what we have NOW.

Insurance companies decide whether or not you will live. THEY stand between us and life-saving medical treatment.

Just recently a friend of mine lost his father to cancer. It was cancer that they could have removed in surgery, and he had a pretty good chance of recovery. His insurance denied him months ago, while he still looked and felt pretty healthy. Months went by and his family had to watch him slowly deteriorate and die.

Imagine living all those days, watching life slip from you, knowing someone said you should die, rather than they lose a fraction of a percent of profit.
-Guillermo Del Torro

JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

Like the rest of you, I'm a big supporter of universal health care. It's much more humane, and it provides bigger benefits at less cost.

Now I'm discouraged by the political debate. I'm afraid that the Democrats will screw things up yet again and not make it happen.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Marcus Crassus, wasn't he Julius Caesar's uncle? Or was he the old rich guy who supported Caesar during a couple military campaigns?

I'm not sure how, but health care will remain costly until someone reigns in the enterpreneurs who find any way they can to milk every penny from those who need care.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Doctors also have tons of loans for schooling to become doctors. There should be some assistance there too, with the agreement that docs provide care at reasonable prices.

This country's obsession with expensive lifestyles also has to stop. Everyone wants to just make more money than they can reasonably spend. We live over our heads and there are those that function very well within that mindset.

New AIG CEO is getting $7,000,000 a year in base salary. No one earns that much money. How about passing some of that to lower level employees...who could be in a much better position with even an extra $100 a week. I am talking clerical people.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Univeral health care

Unread post

Johnson1010 wrote:
She stayed in an actual hospital room for 18 hours. Cost of hospital stay, $18,000 total.

8 for the surgery, ten thousand for the hospital bed... ?
What a lot of people don't realize is that a surgery requires two doctors. There is the surgeon, then, there is the anesthesiologist. These two doctors are paid seperatly. The extra amount you see may be for the anesthesia, this can quite often be more expensive than the surgery. Anesthesiologists are usually seperate from the hospital, they are like sub contractors. Look at the bill, or ask what was charged for anesthesia, it will knock you off your chair.

I worked as an anesthesia assistant for many years for a very large corporation. And I have to agree, the greed of doctors needs to be addressed. One of my reponsibilities was to schedule epidurals. Many of these pain managment patients were covered under medicare. Medicare only pays what medicare wants. So, an epidural costs, $2,500, Medicare would choose to pay only $900.00. I would have to fight the anesthesiologists to agree to treat patients on Medicare. The payment to the ologist for each of these procedures was $500.00. Now, keep in mind, the ologist performed these epidurals in 15 minutes, and there would be at least seven per day. The money they received from the epidurals, was on top of their salary from the OR. The docs would get very angry when Medicare was involved. Can you imagine, $500.00 for 15 minutes of work?

Another problem with most hospitals, is that they are under the umbrella of "Non Profit". This is absurd! For a hospital to retain it's non profit standing, it needs to treat 4% of it's total care to "charity" care patients. And, they cannot exceed a certain amount of profit or they loss their very lucrative grant. Each year I worked, for V Health, each employee, from around the country would receive a bonus, a weeks pay. This suggests, that these hospital are making so much freeking money, they have to give it away to keep their non profit status. It would make more sense, to lower the price of treatment. Hospitals are being funded by the government on top of the enormous profits they make each year.

Hospitals are like any other corporations. Until the extreme cost of health care, including surgery and anesthesia are under control, I don't think universal health care is going to work. This countries government protects big business, and health care is just that, big business. Insurance companies, again, big business. I can guarantee you, the CEO of V. Heath is making just as much money as any other. It is enough to make a person sick!

Return to “Current Events & History”