• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Please help! Looking for book recommendations.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Xeniph
Official Newbie!

Please help! Looking for book recommendations.

Unread post

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for this...)

Hi! This may seem really random, but I'm desperate for suggestions.

I'm doing a video series, and I need some books in which the main character discovers touch-telepathic abilities, or dealing with the ability to receive memory. For example, the Giver. The Giver deals with someone who receives memories from someone else. Does anyone know of any other books along this line? Or dealing with anything similar?

Even if it deals with someone discovering a hidden power (especially telepathy) or past, someone recovering memory through dreams, anything like that, I can use it! I know there have to be some out there, but suggestions have been very sparse. Do you know of any books fitting the above description, or where I could get more suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

~Xen
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I don't personally know of any such books. And I'm not sure there are many people in this community that would know. Most of our members look upon such "powers" skeptically.
Xeniph
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:I don't personally know of any such books. And I'm not sure there are many people in this community that would know. Most of our members look upon such "powers" skeptically.
Ah, I see. So they just don't believe in them, or don't read anything to do with them? I, too, am a skeptic, but enjoy reading fantasy and such, so I'm not against reading something with that in it.

I just need as many book suggestions even remotely dealing with a discovered past, dreaming about a hidden secret, new abilities (especially related to memory) so that I can check them out. I'm building a puzzle built on passages from books, and I need quite a few different ones.

I'm just sort of trying everywhere, hoping to get as many suggestions as I can. Do you know of any other forum I'd be likely to get more suggestions?

~Xen
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other forums. You might find some suggestions here, but you'll have to wait a bit to see if anyone replies. We have a broad audience so you never know if someone will offer help.
Xeniph
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Okay, that's what I was hoping for. ;-)

Thanks for trying to help, anyway. :smile:
kal
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Hello,

I can't recall any book that I've personally read, but a quick search came up with:

Robert A. Heinlein - Time for the Stars,

Tony Vigorito - Just a Couple of Days

Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds.

You might want to have a closer look.
Xeniph
Official Newbie!

Unread post

kal wrote:Hello,

I can't recall any book that I've personally read, but a quick search came up with:

Robert A. Heinlein - Time for the Stars,

Tony Vigorito - Just a Couple of Days

Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds.

You might want to have a closer look.
Cool. Would you mind telling me where you searched and what terms you used?

I'll definitely look into those.
kal
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Wikipedia - telepathy & novel.
SouthernBellaKV
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Try reading the Study series by Maria V. Snyder. It's a trilogy: Poison Study, Magic Study, and Fire Study. The first one covers the whole discovering new powers aspect. The other two books cover the other part of what I think you're looking for. They are an easy read.
alexden
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Try 'Telepathist' by John Brunner[/i]

Return to “Everything Else”