• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Extended Phenotype

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Extended Phenotype

Unread post

After reading The Selfish Gene, I am inclined to read The Extended Phenotype, which Dawkins claims is his greatest work. I think it will be an excellent book, but quite boring if you're not into this kind of thing.

An example of an extended phenotype is a beaver dam. Consider the fact that the schematics for a beaver dam are loosely passed down through generations of beavers via genes.

http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Phenotyp ... 0192880519
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane, quit thinking up books that I have to read! :smile:

This extended phenotype idea is just fascinating. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to go off on a tangent to talk about something else that I heard about when I was in South Carolina about a month ago. The dolphins here, along a hundred-mile stretch of shore, practice this very unusual behavior called "strand feeding" wherein they chase fish up on to the beach and then swim up on land themselves to eat their prey. These are the only dolphins in the world to do this and supposedly it is learned behavior, not genetically encoded. (Maybe this is a precursor to the extended phenotype?) I was told the dolphins always beach themselves on their right side because that's how the first dolphin did it and that's how it is taught to subsequent generations of dolphins.

If that isn't cool, I don't know what is.

Alas, although I went on a kayak to see some of this strand feeding, the tide wasn't exactly right and I didn't get a chance to see it.

Here's an article that includes a photo.

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/art ... cleID=1120
-Geo
Question everything
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

That's amazing. That's right in line with the distinction I'm wondering about. At what point do animal behaviors rely not mainly on genetics, but are emergent properties of the ability to reason. This distinction I think lies halfway between gene influence and meme influence, if that makes sense.

Even though our capacity to reason is given to us genetically, the fruits of reasoning are independent of genes for the most part. There is some influence, such as religious tendencies and social dispositions. This was evidenced by studying pairs of identical twins raised apart. Their social and religious leanings were very similar across the board.

Perhaps it's upon the genes in part that determines what ideas and memes we're more receptive to. I wouldn't give too much credit to genes, but neither would I say they have no influence whatsoever.

I plan to read the Extended Phenotype and the Meme Machine in the near future.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Howz about adding this book suggestion to the Non-Fiction Book Suggestions Wanted: Sept. & Oct. 2009 thread!? We really need to read and discuss this book sometime.
:smile:
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane wrote: Even though our capacity to reason is given to us genetically, the fruits of reasoning are independent of genes for the most part. There is some influence, such as religious tendencies and social dispositions. This was evidenced by studying pairs of identical twins raised apart. Their social and religious leanings were very similar across the board.

Perhaps it's upon the genes in part that determines what ideas and memes we're more receptive to. I wouldn't give too much credit to genes, but neither would I say they have no influence whatsoever.

I plan to read the Extended Phenotype and the Meme Machine in the near future.
This is fascinating stuff, to be sure. I am ashamed to say I've not read The Selfish Gene yet, so I better get on that. As I said, Interbane, quit thinking up books I have to read.
-Geo
Question everything
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Yeah, we should read this in September. I've read it and would love to read it again and discuss it at booktalk!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Comments about either The Selfish Gene or The Extended Phenotype should really be in the current non-fiction book suggestion thread OR everyone participating in the book selection process will have no clue about how much interest either or both of these book suggestions has generated.

Seriously...all of these comments will be lost into the abyss soon. :mrgreen:

Post in the suggestion thread please!

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”