• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Post Some of Your Favorite Quotes

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Post Some of Your Favorite Quotes

Unread post

This may have been a thread we've had in the past. I am not sure. If I am copying someone else's idea, please say so and I'll give you credit! I read a quote the other day that I've also read on another occasion and it resonates with me. I thought it might be a neat idea to have a thread in which we can post quotes and/or explain why we like the quotes.
There is grandeur in this view of life...that...from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being evolved.

-Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species

I can absolutely understand why part of this quote was used as a title of a book. It really is a beautiful gathering of words with a simple, yet uplifting message. I read it many years ago when I read The Origin of Species, and I recently read it in Sagan's Cosmos. Last week, I was trying to explain why accepting evolutionary theory as fact does not take the wonder and appreciation out of the world. I should have quoted Darwin when he started reading to me from the bible... :wall:
poettess
All Star Member

Quotes

Unread post

Be the change you want to see in the world
Mahatma Gandhi

...It matters not how strait the gate, how rife with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
William Ernest Henley "Invictus"

If any being felt emotions of benevolence towards me, should return them an hundred and an hundred fold; for that one creature's sake, I would make peace with the whole kind!
Mary Shelley "Frankenstein"
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

“Fortune pisses on me”

Centurion Luscious Verenus HBO series Rome
“The man has the cunning of a sardine”

Governor of Gaul Gaius Julius Caesar HBO series Rome
“The ram has touched the wall”

Prefect Marc Antony HBO series Rome
“All men are brothers”

Captain James Tiberius Kirk Star Trek
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Shut up, he explained.
--Ring Lardner
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Well, you all know me by now!!!

When I first encountered 'The Internet'...I joined a wonderous free forum called 'Adelphi Forums'. It was American - :P

Of course, I was on the 'Spirituallity' thread.....(I didn't know you called it a 'thread' then).

One dear person (Ships that pass in the night and all that)...said to me...'Penelope, If you don't care where you are, you are not lost'.

I will emblazon that in a box!!
If you don't care where you are, you are not lost.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

favorite quotes

Unread post

"There's more beauty in the truth even if it is a dreadful beauty. The storytellers twist life so that it looks sweet to the lazy and the stupid and the weak, and this only strengthens their infirmities and teaches nothing, cures nothing, nor does it let the heart soar"
John Steinbeck, East of Eden
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

"It's never too late to be who you might have been."
George Eliot

and

"He who has a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'."
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

I am endeavoring to be the person my dog thinks I am.
--Anonymous
redsolocup
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Oh my gosh, I have so many!

"There must have been moments even that afternoon when Daisy tumbled short of his dreams—not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion. It had gone beyond her, beyond everything. He had thrown himself into it with a creative passion, adding to it all the time, decking it out with every bright feather that drifted his way. No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart."
-The Great Gatsby
"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you. "
— Mr Darcy, Pride and Prejudice
“Raise high the roof beam, carpenters. Like Ares comes the bridegroom, taller far than a tall man. Love, Irving Sappho, formerly under contract to Elysium Studios Ltd. Please be happy happy happy with your beautiful Muriel. This is an order. I outrank everybody on this block.” --J.D. Salinger
"What we have here is a dreamer. Someone completely out of touch with reality. When she jumped, she probably thought she could fly."
--The Virgin Suicides

Sorry, I just have so many!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

ironic, don't you think

Unread post

you're etymologizing , which isn't the same as defining
Thomas Hood

[/quote]

Return to “Everything Else”