• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Writer asking for some help

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
rawr912
Official Newbie!

Writer asking for some help

Unread post

Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new author and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. Obviously, some of my motivation is market research, but if I don't ask people who are interested in books who can I ask! With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover (you can find mine at the link below) or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated. It may help me not to make the same mistakes if I ever get around to writing another one!

For anyone interested you can read more about my book 'The Magic Lands' here:

http://www.freewebs.com/markhockley/

I accidentally screwed up this thread in an effort to fix another problem we've been having on our forums. But no posts were lost.

Well the first thing i look at is the cover, and your cover looks alright but the wolf looks kind......messed up sorry.
MarkH
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thanks for taking a look at it. Ironically, that's a very good description of the character of the Wolf. He's definitely messed up!! But I take your point. I have some issues with the cover myself.
shawnrohrbach

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

Hey, Mark. As for what drives a reader to your book, yes curb appeal has a lot to do with it, but placement of the book so readers can appreciate the fine cover art is paramount. Large mainstream publishers have the leverage that "motivates" book stores to turn their books cover out, taking up precious shelf space. These same publishers invest in promotional materials where the book is featured in it's own packaging at the door or in a window display. This attracts mainstream readers. Hard core readers know their tastes, go to the section, look up new work and buy it, no matter how the book is displayed. Now, how to get to the point where readers will just go and look up your book and buy. Name recognition is the only answer. When an author is known, people buy their books. Getting known is a combination of writing exceptionally well and good PR. That's the part I am working on for myself.

I suggest joining a good on line writers forum such as Poets and Writers in addition to this great site. Poets and Writers is populated by people who have published books; authors sharing ideas with other authors. I will give you a heads up, however, there are other writers forums that are devoted to harrassing and intimidating young writers either to give up writing or to buy their annual workshops. If you have self published or chosen to work with a newer, smaller publishing house, you will be excoriated. Many of the forums are populated by East Coast, old school "authors" who believe tyhe publishing world revolves around five or six great living writers (they include themselves in that group), New York centered agents and New York centered publishers. I find Poets and Writers to be a refreshing change from that.

Good luck.
MarkH
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thanks Shawn. Appreciate the info :)
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

What appeals to people seems to change and morph and evolve. In the Late 80s and early 90s, your cover would be perfect. I think right now, cover art is more appealing when it is a visual hint rather than a visual summary. I can see in my mind's eye the side of the wolf's head encompassing the whole of the cover, though very translucent, with highlihgting on the eye. I'm not sure I'd put any more than one person on the cover, too many people overload it. Maybe the side of the book could be built out of the oak tree, if the artist could accomplish that.
MarkH
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Well Interbane, I just wish you could have designed the cover! I think that would be perfect :) I have to admit that I have a lot of problems with the cover as it is. The story is more adult than the cover suggests. If you get a chance to read the excerpts/chapters at the link above, let me know what you think.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Have you considered contacting art students at local colleges? There is some incredible talent out there. You know those papers that have the number written on the bottom and cut into slits so they can be ripped off and taken? Make one of those and leave it in the dorm of a college. My friend went to school for art, and I'd trust him over any professional artist any time.

Throw it out there professionally in the light that you're an author looking for a cover artist who can offer a broad range of ideas then refine them. Ten to fifteen rough drafts, all unique, then refine the one you like further and further.
MarkH
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Problem is the book is already published. I could only change the cover if it was republished. But if that happens I will certainly be looking to go with a different style and approach.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

The cover isn't bad for a book targeting young adults and adults young at heart. I'd probably go with a different cover on the 2nd Edition, but most authors change their covers on follow-up editions. Don't take that as a failure of the current cover. Authors and publishers just like to change the cover and create the impression that it is a brand new book....and this technique works.

http://www.freewebs.com/markhockley/buy ... clands.htm

On this page you should fix the Barnes and Noble link so that the entire store name is a link. Trivial, perhaps, but I noticed this small error.

I'll read a little of the book now...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

My first thought is that you are sending conflicting messages to your audience. Is this a book for young people or not?

On your chapter page at http://www.freewebs.com/markhockley/the ... apters.htm you say...
The story becomes much darker as it goes on. It is not recommended for younger readers, despite appearances!
But the book cover and description lead one to believe this is a book targeting young people. Climbing up a tree at the bottom of a garden and meeting a white wolf...sounds like a teenagers book. But the story sounds interesting and I will read some in a moment.

The other constructive piece of criticism is an easy fix, much the same as the Barnes and Nobles link. Your table of contents leads readers to believe that The Shadow of the Rose is another chapter in this book, when in fact it is an entirely different book.

I might rename the "The Magic Lands - Chapters" link to "The Magic Lands - Chapters 1 and 2."

And then "Shadow of the Rose -Chapters" rename to "Shadow of the Rose - Chapters 1 and 2," or "Shadow of the Rose - Get a glimpse of my next book"

Return to “Everything Else”