• In total there are 6 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

You shouldn't kill a good bad guy.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
OpanaPointer
Permanent Ink Finger

You shouldn't kill a good bad guy.

Unread post

I wrote a snippet about two wizards having a battle outside a walled town. It was "Mandragora" vs. "Lizana". Mandy invokes a tornado which is rampaging around the area while the bataille sauvage gets a little crazy. The two wizards are settling in for a long fight when the twister, randomly wandering, comes up behind Lizana and sucks him up into the sky.

Now, at that point I had to decide if that was a fatal incident for Lizana. Do you writers ever kill off a good bad guy?
B. Camp
Creative Writing Student

Re: You shouldn't kill a good bad guy.

Unread post

My stories usually involve characters that are either clearly good or clearly bad. I do admit that some of my characters live by a fairly inflexible moral code that has them commit acts that others might view as cold hearted (revenge killing, inflicting pain to accomplish a greater good, etc.). I don't kill them off but I'm not reluctant to have them suffer due to their choices. That's a long answer way to say "not usually" but I wouldn't hesitate if it improves the story. :)
OpanaPointer
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

It's sometimes better to provide enough information, in your opinion, than to skimp on pixels and perhaps induce confusion.
laurawoods
Official Newbie!
United States of America

Unread post

Why not? Writers often kill off well-liked villains to raise stakes, develop characters, or surprise readers. build now gg

Return to “Everything Else”