• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

old/rare books discussion

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Reno_Thrilleraddict
Official Newbie!

old/rare books discussion

Unread post

Good morning,
I come here because I am looking for sites/forums or discussion circles specialized in rare and old books. I am interested in first editions, original editions or incunabula. Whether in general literature (I like Dostoeivsky for example) or otherwise.
I am interested in all kinds of subjects, especially esotericism. My latest research is based on cryptozoology or cephalophory for example.
Hoping to read you! :)
CaitlinDBurnside
Getting Comfortable
Great Britain

Re: old/rare books discussion

Unread post

Hello, I don't know of sites to discuss these. However, you could probably begin a forum post on here, somewhere.

I've two books from days of old, which, as far as I know, are out-of-print. One was called, "Aunt Rose is Coming, for a visit..." and "Memoirs of a Canadian Dog". The latter was about a Dalmatian dog, assigned to a fire station. The firefighter who looked after him, wrote his many adventures.

I've read both in the early 60s, however, they'd been written much earlier than that decade.
"Writing is the painting of the voice."
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/cdburnside
The Bookworm
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Hi, my friend recently found this site which has a section for old and rare books and she shared it with me :) I am currently looking for a few rare/old editions of my books to add to my collection too, so this website looks promising! Haven't ordered anything from there yet, but if you do let me know how you get on!
In terms of what type of books they offer, after having a quick glance looks like all sorts, not one specific genre, which is good :)
https://www.wob.com/en-gb/category/rare-books
Yours, The Bookworm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Reno_Thrilleraddict wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:26 am Good morning,
I come here because I am looking for sites/forums or discussion circles specialized in rare and old books. I am interested in first editions, original editions or incunabula. Whether in general literature (I like Dostoeivsky for example) or otherwise.
I am interested in all kinds of subjects, especially esotericism. My latest research is based on cryptozoology or cephalophory for example.
Hoping to read you! :)
Your post read like a homework assignment. I had to look up a bunch of those words. :lol:

Incunabula: An early printed book, especially one printed before 1501

Esotericism: Esotericism is about secret knowledge for a small group of people. Esotericism also describes mystical, spiritual or occult points of view. Esotericism studies Gnosticism, Yoga, Alchemy, Magic, Spiritualism, Hypnosis, Astrology, Meditation, Mysticism, and Occultism.

Cryptozoology: A pseudoscience and subculture that searches for and studies unknown, legendary, or extinct animals whose present existence is disputed or unsubstantiated, particularly those popular in folklore, such as Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, Yeti, the chupacabra, the Jersey Devil, or the Mokele-mbembe.

Cephalophory: A cephalophore (from the Greek for "head-carrier") is a saint who is generally depicted carrying their own severed head. In Christian art, this was usually meant to signify that the subject in question had been martyred by beheading.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!

Return to “Everything Else”