• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Fast 800

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

The Fast 800

Unread post

The Fast 800 by Dr Michael Mosley

Michael Mosley is a British medical doctor and prominent BBC television presenter on scientific approaches to health. He gained much attention for his 5-2 diet, in which he suggested people could lose weight by cutting calorie intake to 500-600 two days a week. He has since significantly refined this approach based on extensive evidence. His bestselling 2019 book The Fast 800 presents the results of wide research into the best ways to combine rapid weight loss and intermittent fasting for long term health, as detailed at https://thefast800.com/ and in his book. Mosley says the best way to lose weight is to cut your food intake to 800 calories per day, and keep it up until you reach your target weight. People who can't cope with that level of intensity can benefit by having a few 800 calorie days per week.

Some key themes in this diet include eating high quality food, especially bulky greens, minimising rubbish/sugar and limiting carbohydrates, keeping eating within a short time period each day, known as intermittent fasting, and regular exercise, especially brief high energy exercise known as high intensity interval training. This all results in a situation known as ketosis, where our body takes energy from our visceral fat stores inside our abdomen rather than from the sugar that circulates in our blood. Medical supervision is essential for people with health concerns.

I have been focused on diet for several years but have been frustrated by my inability to lose weight. So I have now started this crash program, and am seeing excellent results. I began this 800 calorie method when I read Dr Mosley's book, and have now lost 2.5 kilograms (5.5lb) in three days since April 22, as shown in the attached graph. I plan to keep it up at least until I reach my target body mass index of 23 (68 kg), and perhaps to my optimum weight of 63 kg (BMI 21.5).

Mosley explains how excess weight is by far the main risk factor for mortality, through diabetes, heart attack, cancer and dementia. I found an article in the British Medical Journal - https://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2156 - that strongly backs this up. It reviewed hundreds of studies and found the ideal Body Mass Index is 21.5, as shown on the attached graph from the article. This graph shows our mortality risk goes up by about 5% for each unit of BMI up to 32, and by about 15% for each unit of BMI above 32. BMI is calculated by dividing your weight in kilograms by your height in metres squared.

This low ideal weight is very surprising in view of how the relentless pressure of advertising of junk food has normalised obesity in our society, despite its grave medical risks. A BMI of 21 is widely regarded as very thin, but this data shows it is the ideal for longevity, and for a range of measures of quality of life. For example, going on the 800 diet can cure diabetes and can even help cure cancer, which worsens faster in fat people. The pharmaceutical industry, allied to the food industry, want to conceal this information because it is bad for their profits.

I highly recommend The Fast 800. Mosley has a very friendly and engaging writing style, which is a good way to convey the confronting facts he discusses. The website has articles, a forum and recipes, all designed to support people in achieving health and fitness in ways that are supported by rigorous scientific data.
Attachments
BMI Mortality Risk.png
BMI Mortality Risk.png (251.92 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
RT Weight Loss April 2022.png
RT Weight Loss April 2022.png (68.97 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
threeyzmonkeys
Official Newbie!
Japan

Re: The Fast 800

Unread post

I agree. This book and all of his books are extremely well written. I found this book after watching a BBC documentary (Panorama) featuring Dr. Mosley. He was tasked with looking into fasting and calorie restriction results on health. He traveled to America to follow some people that restricted their calories. The results were incredible, but the thing that made me google him and discover he had a book was the fact that he went into it as a skeptic. He isn't trying to push a belief simply to sell books. He is trying to explain a system that surprised him and changed his life. He hopes it will change others' lives too. I have been fasting once a week for several years now. I highly recommend this and all of Michael Mosley's books.

Return to “Science & Technology”