• In total there are 22 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

The Lorax - 50th Anniversary - Apply for a grant for your environmental program

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

The Lorax - 50th Anniversary - Apply for a grant for your environmental program

Unread post

https://www.theloraxproject.com/?ref=PR ... FVV-BtqcCs

Celebrate Earth Day with the Lorax!
2021 marks the 50th anniversary of Dr. Seuss’s iconic classic of environmentalism: The Lorax, originally published in 1971, marks its 50th anniversary this year! The Lorax teaches readers that taking care of the environment is a responsibility we all share because unless we care a whole awful lot, it’s not going to get better, it’s not. As new generations begin to learn about environmental protection and conservation, this message becomes even more relevant.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: The Lorax - 50th Anniversary - Apply for a grant for your environmental program

Unread post

Unless I'm making this up, there was a short film of The Lorax made probably in the 70s. "Everyone needs a thneed" is fixed in my mind. I wish Suess had also taken on directly racial prejudice in a book or two. Might have spared him the shunning of some of his books. Cartoonish renderings of different facial features I guess is what's caused the trouble. But he was a cartoonist, after all. I think of his books as dated in that respect, but I'm not able to generate ill feeling towards them. Perhaps if I was to reread the six books targeted I'd feel differently, but I don't think so.

But anyway, happy early Earth Day. Do you think it's telling, in a way, that we have to designate one day of the year to acknowledge the importance of the web of life?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: The Lorax - 50th Anniversary - Apply for a grant for your environmental program

Unread post

DWill wrote: I wish Suess had also taken on directly racial prejudice in a book or two. Might have spared him the shunning of some of his books. Cartoonish renderings of different facial features I guess is what's caused the trouble.
I do not recall there being any trouble or fuss. Suess' estate and family just made a decision...perhaps to avoid any trouble or potential besmirchment (is that a word) of his name. I personally do not find any fault in his depictions...the work always a product of its time. In hindsight yeah, they were cringey. But it was the way things were and not in an evil way. I am not a fan of judging a past Era by modern sentiments and knowledge. It is just such a poor way to react.
DWill wrote:But anyway, happy early Earth Day. Do you think it's telling, in a way, that we have to designate one day of the year to acknowledge the importance of the web of life?
I have said this since I was younger. It's silly because it is necessary. People in general just do not care, let alone are they cognizant of, their impact on the world. So we do need it. Maybe it should expand to a month...more?

These special days are really just used by most to give the impression that they care. Whatever. It's fine with me, but we need more to move to a higher level.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.

Return to “Current Events & History”