• In total there are 38 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Philosophy

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Pal 51
Official Newbie!

Philosophy

Unread post

Have anyone read all the works by marquis de sade and Nietzsche?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Philosophy

Unread post

Pal 51 wrote:Have anyone read all the works by marquis de sade and Nietzsche?
I have not, but coincidentally, I just recently dug out a copy of Zarathustra that I've had for a while.

Have you read either?
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I also have read Zarasthrusa, but nothing by deSade.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Morissette

1E - BANNED
Official Newbie!

Unread post

We're not brainwashed out of our atheism as children--that's a silly idea. We're brainwashed into theism because we have no convictions whatever at such an early age. We are not born atheists or theists but we are wired towards theism. We want to believe that some benevolent, powerful entity is watching over us. It's comforting in a world where it is clear there is no such benevolent, powerful entity.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Morissette wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:40 am We're not brainwashed out of our atheism as children--that's a silly idea. We're brainwashed into theism because we have no convictions whatever at such an early age. We are not born atheists or theists but we are wired towards theism. We want to believe that some benevolent, powerful entity is watching over us. It's comforting in a world where it is clear there is no such benevolent, powerful entity.
Morissette, you nailed it out of the park on that post! Welcome to BookTalk.org. You'll fit in around here nicely. :)

I agree with every single word. Are you a Richard Dawkins fan by chance? Dawkins is a big proponent of the idea of not labeling children, whether it be as a Christian child or an atheist child. Who are we as parents to assign such labels to children who have yet to reach the age of being able to weigh all relevant information and make rational decisions for themselves?

We're about to read and discuss Steven Pinker's new book, Rationality: What It Is, Why It Seems Scarce, Why It Matters. Look for the new forum for this book discussion soon. I should have it created in the next few days and we'll be discussing this book as a community for January, February and March 2022. I'd love for you to participate. We have interviewed Steven Pinker in the past and probably will again so please consider joining the discussion.
Attachments
41YkeJf2zNL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
41YkeJf2zNL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (32.83 KiB) Viewed 2002 times

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”