Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:18 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
FICTION BOOK POLL: Help select our Oct. thru Dec. 2020 FICTION book! 

FICTION BOOK POLL: Oct. thru Dec. 2020
BOOK 1: The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
BOOK 2: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 5

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

FICTION BOOK POLL
Help select our October, November & December 2020 FICTION book!

What fiction book would you guys like to read and talk about next?

Since our fiction section has been really slow the past year I am taking the initiative to create this poll on my own. Hopefully we can put some life into our fiction discussions.

Your help would be appreciated! You can tell people online and/or offline to join us for this new fiction book discussion. Spread the word here on the BookTalk.org forums too. If I create a "sticky" thread that appears at the top of every forum it seems people skip right over it. So your help in promoting this fiction discussion is not only helpful but quite possibly essential to attract enough participants to make the discussion exciting and worthwhile for all.

My idea here with this poll is to offer 2 classic fiction books that are commonly banned from libraries and public schools for one reason or another. Have you seen our Banned Books List - The 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2001 page? I've scoured the list and paid close attention to the fiction books BookTalk.org members seem to reference frequently on our forums. So these 2 books are going to hopefully excite you guys and lead to an active and satisfying discussion.

RULES:

#1. You need to have 5 or more posts on our forums to earn the right to vote in this poll. We do this so that people passing through, with no intention of actually participating, will not vote and skew the poll.

#2. You can vote for 1 or both books on the poll. The more books you vote for the easier it is for the community to find a book to read and discuss. Please read both book descriptions and a handful of reviews for each book and then vote for ALL books on the poll that you'd be willing to read and discuss with us.

#3. You can change your vote at any time or as often as you like up until the close of the poll. The poll will close when we have a clear favorite.

#4. Spread the word please! Mention this fiction poll and upcoming discussion in your forum posts and private messages and even out there in the offline world. Help make this a success.

OK, here are the choices...

BOOK 1:
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

BOOK 2:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Attachments:
kill-mock.jpg
kill-mock.jpg [ 13.59 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]
cat-rye.jpg
cat-rye.jpg [ 13.82 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:41 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: FICTION BOOK POLL: Help select our Sept. thru Nov. 2020 FICTION book!
I just started the audiobook version of To Kill a Mockingbird from Audible.com and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:56 am
Profile Email WWW
Not latency, or power shortage, nor bedtime shall keep me from my appointed screed

I listened to it a few years back and own a copy of the movie as well. There was a bit of controversy about her 'sequel'Go Set a Watchman as it was being tutted as a sequel to her first book.

The following user would like to thank brian douglas for this post:
Chris OConnor
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:32 pm
Master Debater

I enjoy reading books on psychology. They help to realize their essence, the meaning of life, constantly develop and strive for self-knowledge ... this is written in Antarova's book "Two Lives", psychologists talk about this, it can be studied through yoga, numerology, astrology, Volikov's test, human design, vipassana, jyotish, etc.

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:37 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Way Beyond Awesome

I find myself in a curious position here. I have read both "The Catcher in the Rye" and "To Kill a Mockingbird." I have not read "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," but it is my understanding that it is an autobiography, not fiction. Should it be on the list? Regardless, I will cast my vote for it.

A point on the Harper Lee books. "Go Set a Watchman," though it is set after "Mockingbird" was actually written first. Why it was no published first I have no idea.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

The following user would like to thank Cattleman for this post:
Chris OConnor
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:48 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Cattleman, you're apparently absolutely correct. I'm a bit embarrassed to not have properly researched I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

Quote:
Reviewers often categorize Caged Bird as autobiographical fiction because Angelou uses thematic development and other techniques common to fiction, but the prevailing critical view characterizes it as an autobiography, a genre she attempts to critique, change, and expand.

If you're willing to vote for one of the other two books we can delete I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings from the poll. Can you revisit the other choices and consider voting for one or is I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings the only option in the poll that interests you?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:41 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Way Beyond Awesome

If you decide to remove "Caged Bird," I will vote for "To Kill a Mockingbird." I am not averse to leaving "Caged Bird" on the list.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:38 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: FICTION BOOK POLL: Help select our Oct. thru Dec. 2020 FICTION book!
I'm going to create the forum for To Kill a Mockingbird right now. We can set this as our November, December and January fiction book discussion. :-)

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Robert Tulip
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:08 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.