• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What NON-FICTION book should we read and talk about in April, May & June 2020?

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

If you have 5 or more posts on the BookTalk.org forums you are invited right now to share with us a non-fiction book suggestion or two. What non-fiction book do you think we should read and discuss as a group?

In addition to make your book suggestion PLEASE read the suggestions other people make. Does anything suggested catch your eye? Do you think a suggested book is too long, potentially boring or maybe doesn't have sufficient positive reviews to warrant it being selected as an official BookTalk.org book? We need your suggestions AND feedback on suggestions made by your fellow members.

If we have a bunch of great suggestions we'll do a poll. But if this suggestion thread has a clear winner we can skip the poll and go with the book most of us seem to want to talk about. See why feedback is just as important as suggestions?

So what would you like to read and talk about next?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: What NON-FICTION book should we read and talk about in April, May & June 2020?

Unread post

I would respectfully submit "The Three-Cornered War; The Union, the Confederacy, and Native Peoples in the Fight for the West" by Megan Kate Nelson. I am currently reading this book, and learning things about a part of the Civil War they did not teach in my school.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: What NON-FICTION book should we read and talk about in April, May & June 2020?

Unread post

We sure could use some suggestions here. I guess we're all at home quarantined but too stressed out for reading and talking about books. That makes sense. I do wish we could all come together and use BookTalk.org book discussions as a way to decompress and escape the stresses of this pandemic.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Hi Chris
DWill and I are enjoying discussion of The Wizard and the Prophet, and would welcome comments from others who aren't reading it. Next I would really like to discuss A Farewell to Ice by Professor Peter Wadham. I am sure Peter would be happy to discuss his book with us.

https://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Ice-Pet ... 0241009413

About the Author
Peter Wadhams is the UK's most experienced sea ice scientist. He was Director of the Scott Polar Institute in Cambridge from 1987 to 1992 and Professor of Ocean Physics at Cambridge from 1992 to 2015. He has made more than 50 expeditions to both polar regions, working from ice camps, icebreakers, aircraft, and, uniquely, Royal Navy submarines (making six submerged voyages to the North Pole). His research group in Cambridge has been the only UK group with the capacity to carry out field work on sea ice. He has also held visiting professorships ... (more)

Book Review: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... ate-change "The warning this book gives us about the consequences of the loss of the planet’s ice is emphatic, urgent and convincing"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Great book idea Robert. His credentials are impressive.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

You all might have to be reading without me, though both books suggested sound tempting. I need to get a big dose of fiction--not necessarily escapist stuff, but kind of to get away from crisis all the time.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

No doubt. We all need to escape right now.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Looks like we're really struggling this time 'round, April is almost over. I'll suggest this one although I've had trouble participating much in the book discussions, it is not easy.

The American Story: Conversations with Master Historians by David Rubenstein
This is a series of 16 essays on important figures by expert historians. For example, Taylor Branch wrote a 2,912 page trilogy on Martin Luther King Jr. and the civil rights movement. Perhaps you'd like to know about his findings, but that is too much of a time investment. This book has a 24 page essay by Branch.

Robert Caro wrote four books totaling 3,552 pages about the career of Lyndon Baines Johnson. Again, perhaps you're interested in what that expert has to say and may find his 24 page essay in this book more easily digested.

Check out the table of contents - I'm sure you'll find the list of authors and their subjects to be intriguing.

Update: I have this book and cracked it open after writing the above. These are not essays by the historians, they are interviews between them and David Rubenstein. I would have preferred essays, but the interviews appear to be well done.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Regarding Cattleman's suggestion above, here is a C-Span interview with Megan Kate Nelson, the author of The Three-Cornered War.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?469345-1/the-cornered-war
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

OK, I'm creating a poll right now to select our next non-fiction book. All of your suggestions will be on the poll. Please vote! ;-)

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”